About the role
The primary role of the Cold Regions Engineer is to provide engineering services to support growth and execution of engineering services for BMT clients with interests and assets that operate in northern/cold weather climates. At this time the project work will be related to ice roads, ice integrity assessment, ice safety and environmental services, however, the services offered to this client base is expected to grow. This position will include remote, on site, winter northern Canada outdoor activities. Cold regions health & safety and relevant engineering service training will be provided, as required. This work will apply practices defined in industry best practices, codes and standards, making use of both hand calculation and BMT developed analysis tools to complete design and assessment tasks. The role will include client personnel and activity audits, inspections and training. This position will complete engineering tasks under the supervision of more experienced Engineers. In this role you will:
- Complete ice bearing capacity and structural engineering assessments for municipal, provincial/territorial and the mining / energy sectors
- Complete client process reviews, site inspections and audits
- Deliver / present training and project results
- Support development of engineering task proposals including the development of technical approach descriptions and level of effort estimates for engineering tasks
- Employ MS Excel and/or Matlab to complete engineering calculations
- Document engineering analysis tasks in project reports
- Develop and grow familiarity with applicable engineering tools, codes and standards or relate technologies
- Contribute to growing the ice engineering body of knowledge and improving industry acceptance of ice engineering best practices
We are looking for enthusiastic and flexible team members, who possess the following knowledge, experience, and skills:
- Civil / Environmental Engineering university degree
- Quebec Professional Engineering designation or potential to achieve
- Fluently bilingual (English and French) spoken and written
- Understanding of and practical experience related to structural engineering and materials
- Good communication skills including the ability to organize thoughts, data and prepare task and project reports
- Ability to manage time and effort on multiple tasks
- Health and safety awareness and training including company procedures and regulations
- F amiliarity with and ability to work within a company quality management process
- A bility to recognize problems or limitations and ask for guidance
- Field work experience
- R oad construction experience
- Ability to work alongside client staff and make engineering decisions on site, using training, knowledge and experience
- Understanding of ice, geotechnical and structural response
- MS Word and MS Excel proficiency
- Project management familiarity
We exist to navigate the most important and impactful engineering challenges of our time. We create environments where people with outstanding technical knowledge deliver meaningful, practical solutions. We are driven by a commitment to a safer, more efficient, effective and sustainable future. To find out more about BMT click here .
BMT is open and committed to discussing flexible working. We believe that everyone performs at their best when they have the flexibility to make working for BMT work best for them.
BMT hires talented people and welcomes applications from everyone. We know that diversity, equity, and inclusion is critical to achieving our purpose as a business which is to navigate the most important and impactful engineering challenges of our time (to find out more click here ). Our passion and goal are to build more diverse teams and to create an environment where employees are engaged, thriving, and feel a sense of belonging.
At BMT, our employee benefits are designed to ensure you have the resources you need to thrive.
In addition to a competitive salary, we offer a wide range of benefits in areas including health, family, finance, and personal development.
Don’t hesitate to ask more about our benefits during the hiring process.
Does this sound like you? If so, please submit your application via our company Careers page. We look forward to learning more about you.
BMT is committed to employment equity, to eliminating discrimination and encouraging diversity amongst its workforce. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. Candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
We asked employees of BMT how satisfied they were with flexible working, and this is what they told us
Working at BMT
Gender diversity (male:female)
66% Male, 28% Female
Teddington, Bath, Southampton, Fareham, Bristol, Plymouth, Weymouth, Leeds, Aberdeen, Glasgow