Fully flexible hours
As a Senior Backend Developer, you are part of a Software Development Team, responsible for the full lifecycle of an application.
Reporting to a Delivery Manager in a delivery team formed by 5 Developers and 1 QA, you will be using cutting-edge technologies to deliver amazing value to our customers, while scaling our platform to meet the demands of worldwide markets. You will be required to program well-designed, testable, efficient code to solve business needs, as well as testing and documenting the implemented solutions.
Our Senior Developers are trusted to guide a team of their own from a technical point of view. As experts in their area, they're the go-to people for big ideas and problem-solving.
What you will be doing...
As a team player in an Agile Team, working together to keep delivering at pace, scale and with demanded quality to support our products, you will be able to:
- Execute, optimize and coach on the software development life cycle
- Design and develop technical solutions or processes
- Create and confirm high-quality requirements with stakeholders
- Suggest alternative methodologies that may be more efficient and actively improve the tooling to improve use cases
- Tackle tasks by researching and weighing up the pros and cons of various routes to select the right approach
- Be an expert in your primary programming language, and be competent in others
- Be an expert in your domain (business and tech) who can guide your team on the best approach for large pieces of work which span multiple components and teams
- Be able to leverage the above expertise to support other teams in your function so that we deliver the best product to our customers
We hope you have...
- Passion for building a great consumer product that our customers will love
- At least 5 years of proven track record of working with Java (preferable, 8+) or similar OOP Languages
- Experience working with a high concurrency/high transactional/highly available platform
- Ability to understand the dependencies between components and how they combine to deliver service to the consumer and business
- Ability to easily recognize system deficiencies and implement effective solutions
- Expertise using established design patterns
- Drive to encourage appropriate use of reusability techniques (e.g. design patterns, library extraction, new component creation)
- Ability to support and mentor other colleagues
We'd love to see...
- Familiarity working with Client-server protocols such as SOAP, REST
- Experience working with Kafka and message queueing systems
- Knowledge of Scala, Akka, memcached, Apache Storm, Apache Cassandra, ZooKeeper
- Awareness and experience in using agile methodologies
- Ability to interact effectively with other functional teams
- Excellent communicator, common sense and a passion for the art of problem solving
The FlexScore® is the result of a rigorous 2-step verification of a company’s flexibility
First we assess the flexibility options Blip provides and then we anonymously survey a statistically significant proportion of their employees to make sure Blip is as flexible as they say they are. Our assessment is based on the six key elements of flexibility: location, hours, autonomy, benefits, role modelling and work-life balance.
We ask the hard questions so you don’t have to.
Working at Blip
Gender diversity (male:female)
What employees are saying
"Blip is a pioneer in flexible working practises in Porto, Portugal. The company really cares for the workers' wellbeing and translates that in to effective work."
Delivery Manager at Blip