We are looking for a driven professional to lead a programme of change across our offices and workplaces with experience of site-based facilities management and delivering projects collaboratively across dispersed organisations. The role will be responsible for the day-to-day operation of our UKHQ (The Lodge, Bedfordshire), based there part of the week and remote working the remaining.
What's the role about?
This role provides a unique opportunity to contribute to the ongoing development and change of the RSPB workplace estate and ways of working post the Covid lockdown, with an increasingly dispersed workforce. The role is in the RSPB's workplace, facilities & logistics team working across the organisation and with the direct team.
You will lead a programme of change across our offices and workplaces with experience delivering projects collaboratively across dispersed organisations and site-based facilities management. And take the lead in the day-to-day operational delivery of facilities management and maintenance at our UKHQ (The Lodge, Bedfordshire).
The successful candidate will be highly proficient at collaborative working with others; being able to influence and work with senior leaders, build and maintain positive and constructive relationships with individuals and remote teams outside of their direct management control and champion teamwork and leadership at all levels. With demonstrable experience of programmatic working around estate management, facilities management, workplace change management and maintenance and improvement project management.
You will have responsibility for two teams at RSPB’s UKHQ, the Facilities Management and Maintenance teams supported by the site Facilities lead, Maintenance Manager and dedicated project management resource to support the UK wide change programme.
Key Result Areas will include
- Leading and coordinating the implementation of a programme of workplace change across the RSPB
- Managing and leading the Facilities and Maintenance functions at UKHQ, delivering site maintenance, day to day facilities management and security provision in order to ensure the ongoing provision of a safe, legally compliant and fit for purpose workplace
- Develop collaborative and highly effective internal relationships with key stakeholders to ensure that the workplace change and improvement programme aims are delivered
- Contribute to preparing papers and reports for the RSPB's governance and oversee timely reporting of section business metrics in order to enable oversight of section and programmes
- Accountable for the provision of expertise of the section, develop the skills and capabilities of self and the section towards high performance
- Manage annual budget performance, forecasting future budgets and meeting budget targets
- Fostering an inclusive team culture focussed on continually self-improvement, skills development and learning
Essential skills, knowledge and experience
- Demonstrable experience of delivering workforce change programmes
- Ability to positively influence change and demonstrate credibility both internally and externally
- Sound knowledge and demonstrable experience of facilities management, estate maintenance, improvements & compliance and leading estate development projects
- Demonstrable experience of programme and project management principles and application including reporting
- A strong commitment to, and an understanding of, how equality, diversity and inclusion enables an organisation to be successful
- Leadership and people management skills, able to develop team members for high performance
- Ability to make pragmatic, reasoned and practical decisions/recommendations/alternative solutions based upon sound analysis and reason
- Ability to understand and interpret technical reports, design briefs and works contracts particularly related to building and infrastructure projects
Desirable skills, knowledge and experience
- Experience of working with, managing and incorporating volunteers as part of the team is desirable
- IWFM or equivalent qualifications are desirable
This is a permanent role working 37.5 hours per week and may include (by exception) some out of hours working or call-outs. The role is based at RSPB UKHQ in Bedfordshire and you would spend a minimum of 2 days per week on site with remote working for the remaining time.
As part of this application process you will be asked to provide a copy of your CV and complete a full application including evidence on how you meet the skills, knowledge, and experience requested.
For further information please contact Rebecca Rodriguez at Rebecca.firstname.lastname@example.org
We are committed to developing an inclusive and diverse RSPB, in which everyone feels supported, valued, and able to be their full selves. To achieve our vision of creating a world richer in nature, we need more people, and more diverse people, on nature’s side. People of colour and disabled people are currently underrepresented across the environment, climate, sustainability, and conservation sector. If you identify as a person of colour and/or disabled, we are particularly interested in receiving your application. Contact us to discuss any additional support you may need to complete your application.
The RSPB is an equal opportunities employer. This role is covered by the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974.
The RSPB is a licenced sponsor. This role is eligible for UK Visa Sponsorship.
Before applying for this role, we recommend reading through the candidate guidance notes attached to the top of this advert.
The FlexScore® is the result of a rigorous 2-step verification of a company’s flexibility
First we assess the flexibility options RSPB provides and then we anonymously survey a statistically significant proportion of their employees to make sure RSPB is as flexible as they say they are. Our assessment is based on the six key elements of flexibility: location, hours, autonomy, benefits, role modelling and work-life balance.
We ask the hard questions so you don’t have to.
Working at RSPB
Gender diversity (male:female)
Across all 4 UK Countries