Motorway is the UK's fastest-growing used car marketplace. Our award-winning, online platform connects private car sellers with thousands of verified dealers nationwide, ensuring everyone gets the best deal. Founded in 2017, our technology-led approach has redefined the experience of selling a car, generating thousands of monthly car sales and helping us to grow to a team of more than 400 people across our London and Brighton offices.
About the role
Motorway is a highly product-driven company, extending from our customer-facing teams to our exec team. We have disrupted the used car market by developing innovative products and services for consumers and B2B customers, resulting in enormous business growth.
The Head of Product is a pivotal role at Motorway, responsible for defining and delivering the product experience for one of the key product areas within the business. You’ll lead a team of Product Managers and product teams, ensuring they are successful in delivering on their goals; while working closely with Commercial, Ops and Exec stakeholders to create the Product vision, strategy and roadmaps, and deliver on business goals.
What you’ll do
Leading the team
- Lead - You’ll be responsible for the performance of a team of PMs, taking accountability for all aspects of management. You’ll develop the capabilities of your team of PMs, through coaching, mentoring and guidance; enabling them to take on increased responsibility and develop their skills. When required, you’ll be involved in hiring and onboarding new team members.
- Raise the bar - You’ll drive continuous improvement by optimising existing ways of working and introducing new product processes and approaches, incorporating discovery, delivery and user research.
- Collaborate - you’ll collaborate closely with Commercial, Ops and Exec teams to develop and strategy and business goals, then collaborate with peers in Engineering, Design and Data to bring ideas to life and deliver on the strategy.
- Influence - you’ll influence your own team to gain buy-in and commitment to the strategy, but also influence upwards and outwards to champion ideas and communicate challenges to a wider audience.
Lead the product
- Understand our customers and business - you’ll gain a deep understanding of both the wider business and your area of focus through meeting customers and internal teams; absorbing documentation and research, and using our products and services for yourself.
- Develop the product strategy - working closely with teams around you, you’ll develop the vision and product strategy for your area of the business, ensuring we meet ambitious business goals while driving the customer experience forward.
- Roadmaps & planning - with the strategy set, you’ll help your teams break down the strategy into roadmaps and quarterly goals, ensuring teams know what they need to achieve and ensuring we stay on track.
- Create great work - working through your PMs and product teams, you’ll then create amazing product experiences that delight our customers and deliver business outcomes, with a strong focus on craft, quality and innovation.
- Measure & iterate - you’ll guide teams to carefully measure and understand the impact of product changes, from product metrics up to commercial results; then close the loop by iterating to drive KPIs higher.
- Deliver results - ultimately you’ll be responsible for delivering the strategy and business outcomes, communicating progress to the executive team. When needed, you’ll decisively refine or pivot your strategy as you learn and respond to data, bringing both your team and stakeholders with you.
We’re looking for a stand-out, experienced product leader who can not only lead their own team, but influence and guide peers at the Head-of level and other managers within engineering, design and data. We’d love to find someone that’s had experience of the next level of scale and growth, that can bring those learnings to the team, enabling us to mature and structure our ways of working for the next phase.
In terms of product thinking, you’ll be a blend of the customer-focused and commercial, enabling you to develop strategies that deliver business results while creating innovative and differentiated customer experiences.
Finally, you’ll have an entrepreneurial spirit and instinct, that means you act decisively and make decisions in the face of ambiguity or lack of data. You’ll have a proactive approach and an energy that inspires those around you to take their work to the next level.
What you’ll get
- You will have the opportunity to work closely with our leadership team, with direct mentorship from our CPO & Co-Founder
- You will be given the ownership to drive strategy and own a large area of the product
- You will have the opportunity to change an industry landscape, directly impacting the scale and growth of our marketplace
- We will invest in your personal growth and you’ll have the opportunities to progress your career
- You will be developing and building industry leading products, driving innovation and delivering incredible experiences
- Competitive salary
- Stock options - we succeed and fail together as a team, so we want you to be included in our success
- Annual learning budget - you can choose how you like to learn and find the best learning experiences to support your progression.
- BUPA health insurance
- Discounted dental through BUPA
- Discounted gym membership through BUPA
- On-Hand volunteering membership + 1 volunteering day per year
- Hybrid working from home (approximately 1-2 days in the office a week)
- Pension scheme
- Motorway car leasing scheme (Octopus EV) - lease a zero-emissions electric vehicle at a significant discount
- Cycle to work scheme
- Enhanced maternity/paternity leave
- Top spec M1 MacBook Pro and accessories
- Regular social events
Equal Opportunities Statement
Motorway is committed to equality of opportunity for all employees. We work to provide a supportive and inclusive environment where all individuals can maximise their full potential. We believe our workforce should reflect a variety of backgrounds, talents, perspectives and experiences. Our strong commitment to a culture of inclusion is evident through our constant focus on recruiting, developing and advancing individuals based on their skills and talents.
We welcome applications from all individuals regardless of age, disability, sex, gender reassignment, sexual orientation, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief and marriage and civil partnerships.
We asked employees of Motorway how satisfied they were with flexible working, and this is what they told us
Working at Motorway
London & Brighton