Mind Foundry is an Oxford University company, founded by world-leading academics. Our mission is to empower organisations with AI built and deployed to tackle high-stakes, real-world problems at both individual and population scales.
We believe that AI is one of the most important technological advancements in human history, and in order to create a better future, it must be created responsibly and in a way that aligns with human values. We do this by creating AI responsibly from trusted scientific principles. We develop algorithms that are humble, honest, and aware of their limitations.
Our work focuses on creating a future where humans and AI work together to radically transform our world for good. Our technology has been used to solve problems when no other solution was available. The Mind Foundry Platform powers comprehensive offerings for the most complex problems in Insurance, Infrastructure, Defence & Security, and others.
ABOUT THE ROLE
We are growing our team and are seeking a Machine Learning Scientist. You will contribute to our Defence & Security work as part of our Applied Machine Learning team. You’ll engage directly with clients and stakeholders within the business, creating solutions for problems outside of our product sphere, or helping to apply the existing products into their business, alongside development of new and existing features for our main products.
We’re an international team from all walks of life, unified in our desire to be innovators, change makers and helpful stewards of AI as it begins to shape our world for years to come. We work in a remote-first, agile, and interdisciplinary environment that fosters collaboration, creativity, and learning.
Working at Mind Foundry will provide an excellent platform for you to grow, learn, and have a real impact on the important problems in the world.
WHAT YOU'LL BE DOING
You'll be using your experience in one or more of the following areas to create AI/ML solutions: signal processing, geospatial data modelling, image processing and high-fidelity simulations of physical systems. It is highly likely that as part of this role you will be required to work away at partner locations. This may be for up to 1 week at a time and we aim for this to not happen more than once every 2 months.
As a Research Scientist you'll need to:
- Work collaboratively with colleagues across the team (Product Managers, Machine Learning Scientists, Machine Learning Software Engineers and our Engineering teams) to deliver professional-level software prototypes
- Be responsible for ensuring scientific rigour and best practice is maintained throughout the delivery process, from research project to final implementation
- Supervise other team members and interns in their work on research projects where necessary
- Maintain and develop a good working knowledge of state-of-the-art Machine Learning research
- Write technical material (deliverable reports, documentation, published papers, internal technical notes etc)
- Attend client meetings as required
- Attend appropriate scientific conferences and events in areas related to our products and services
WHAT YOU'LL NEED
- A Masters degree in Computer Science, Applied Mathematics, Statistics, Physics or related field, or an equivalent level of experience in these subjects.
- Experience working in commercial organisations
- Ability to work with state-of-the-art ML libraries to deliver powerful results quickly (e.g. Tensorflow or Pytorch)
- Be fluent in a high-level programming language (Python/Java), ideally in a scientific or commercial context
- Experience designing and implementing software systems that allow users to make best use of ML models in a clear and intuitive way
- Be a champion of scientific integrity practices in terms of experimental rigour and validation
- Be eager to learn and have a collaborative approach
- Be comfortable speaking to customers and understanding what they need, or happy to learn quickly
- Willing and eligible to apply and obtain UK security clearance to Security Check (SC) or Developed Vetting level, if not holding an existing clearance
GREAT IF YOU ALSO HAVE
- Experience working with audio, radio frequency or imagery data.
- Experience handling large datasets, suitable software techniques and hardware requirements
- Knowledge of software development lifecycle and Agile methodologies
- Experience with Git and version control
- Ability to communicate complex ideas at varying levels of depth according to audience
WHAT ELSE DO WE OFFER?
We believe in investing in our people by encouraging career and personal development aligned with your own goals and ambitions. We make sure all staff have the tools, time and support they need to shape their own professional development. We want to help you to be the best at what you do and to allow you to grow with the company.
You’ll enjoy a competitive compensation package and great benefits such as:
- Flexible working
- Professional and personal development
- Private healthcare (including dental and optical cover)
- 25 days holiday (excl bank holidays)
- An opportunity for equity in the company
- Group life cover
- Physical and mental health well-being initiatives e.g. discounts on gym memberships, free fitness and nutrition programmes, and professional mental health support
- Cycle to work scheme
- Plus many more e.g. social events, games night, pub lunches, snack/treats etc - we make sure our remote workers are not left out!
We asked employees of Mind Foundry how satisfied they were with flexible working, and this is what they told us
Working at Mind Foundry
Gender diversity (male:female)