Senior Research Manager - Feeding Performance
In this role you will define, oversee and deliver a research portfolio that aligns with the priority science programmes and priorities of the business. The role is responsible for ensuring that the research teams deliver applicable and actionable knowledge that provides novel insights, maintains a technological competitive edge and is a driver of innovation for MARS Petcare across all divisions. In addition, the jobholder is responsible for the management, capability development and talent pipeline of associates in their team who carry out the research programmes/projects in a matrixed environment, providing strong technical and people leadership.
This role is also a contributor to the science strategy of WALTHAM and the wider science agenda in Petcare.
What are we looking for?
- PhD in nutrition, physiology, metabolism or related health-science discipline
- Significant experience of scientific leadership within an academic, pharmaceutical, biotechnology or related industry
- A proven record in leading, developing and delivering a high quality research program in sensory mechanisms, health or nutrition through a team
- Expertise in the field of sensory mechanisms, taste and odor reception, linking chemical profile with product performance would be advantageous
- Good understanding of data use in healthcare research
- Demonstrable technical expertise in at least one health science sub-discipline (e.g. nutrition, physiology, metabolism)
- An ability to communicate complex science verbally and through written materials, to a variety of audiences including expert and non-technical audiences
- Experience of excellence in line management with exceptional people management skills
- An established network in the external scientific community
What will be your key responsibilities?
- Defines, manages and executes a high quality research portfolio in feeding performance, health and wellbeing in line with the Mars Petcare division’s need and strategy (Understanding drivers of preference and aversion, developing tools to screen and predict performance of products and ingredients and identifying and creating products that will enhance product performance)
- Ensures proprietary knowledge is generated from the feeding performance research portfolio that drives insights and innovations and that it is made available across the Petcare divisions
- Sets priorities for the team to maximize value delivery from the whole matrixed team
- Provides technical leadership and insight in the field of sensory mechanisms (taste and odor perception), understanding the drivers of sensory preference and aversion, pet health and/or nutrition and communicates this effectively to a range of stakeholders
- Identifies and manages potential collaborations with external and internal partners & actively build relationships and influence in the field of pet health
- Ensures the scientific robustness/quality of the research portfolio and manages project through the TRLs, ethics and welfare governance, and publication governance systems used at WALTHAM or external systems
- Accountable for budget & resource planning, tracking and management of the Healthcare research portfolio
- Ensures a knowledge management/intellectual property strategy is in place to capture and protect research outputs
- Line management for 2-5 direct reports and lead the healthcare research team as a whole
- Ensures that associates have an appropriate level of skill, are aware of their role and have the means to develop through regular review, objective setting and constructing compelling development plans
- Improves the capability of the feeding performance team through a focus on talent development, recruitment, performance management and appropriate external partnerships
What can you expect from Mars?
- Work with over 130,000 diverse and talented Associates, all guided by the Five Principles.
- Join a purpose driven company, where we’re striving to build the world we want tomorrow, today.
- Best-in-class learning and development support from day one, including access to our in-house Mars University.
- An industry competitive salary and benefits package, including company bonus.
Find out more about what Mars can offer you by visiting our Global Careers site.
Mars is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. If you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process because of a disability, it is available upon request. The company is pleased to provide such assistance, and no applicant will be penalized as a result of such a request.
We asked employees of Mars UK how satisfied they were with flexible working, and this is what they told us
Additional employee ratings
(these do not contribute to the FlexScore®)
Working at Mars UK
4,000 In the UK
Gender diversity (male:female)
London, Slough, Waltham, Castle Cary, Birstall, Plymouth