You’re an experienced Platform Engineer with hands-on experience in managing and scaling true bare metal systems. You have a keen understanding of server hardware, have navigated the intricacies of firmware updates, and are proficient in automating server provisioning. Your passion for crafting resilient and scalable distributed systems is clear from your past projects. You thrive at the intersection of hardware and software, ensuring that our Platform runs smoothly atop a layered infrastructure.
We’d love candidates to have:
- Solid grounding in system installation, including operating system installations, building system images, and automated server provisioning
- Experience in Infrastructure as Code patterns and practices (Terraform and Ansible are a plus)
- Familiarity with hardware lifecycle, including firmware patching, BIOS configuration, and component troubleshooting
- Knowledge of networking, including Layer 2 and Layer 3 protocols, VLANs, and link aggregation
- Strong understanding of virtualization technologies like KVM and QEMU and their interaction with underlying hardware
- Understanding of Kubernetes and its intricacies when run on bare metal infrastructure (ideally)
- A background in Software Engineering and solid programming experience is beneficial but not essential (preferably Go but we're flexible on this)
- Enthusiasm towards ensuring a high degree of service reliability, always putting the stability & safety of our products at the forefront
The Platform Bare Metal team are responsible for building the infrastructure serving our on-premise Kubernetes clusters. As part of that, the team is also responsible for operating and maintaining our UK data centres.
Form3 bare metal infrastructure underpins the FPS gateway, which is the largest payment gateway by volume that we operate. As we grow as a company and take on larger customers, the team have a key role to play to ensure our real-time payments platform can continue to scale to meet the demands of our new customers and projects.
The team’s mission is to ensure the seamless operation and maintenance of more than 60 hypervisors, as well as the software / infrastructure as code used to provision hypervisors & virtual machines (VMs). We provide reliable and efficient VM compute services through our expertise in managing hypervisors, running a few hundred VMs across multiple environments today.
We’re proud to be a self-sufficient, distributed team that is empowered to make their own decisions. As part of a larger Platform Engineering organisation, we’re happy to share our wisdom and help each other where we can. We collaborate with neighbouring teams to enable secure & highly available private connectivity to FPS scheme & our customers, and also between our data centres.
- Managing, operating, and ensuring the reliability of hypervisors (bare metal machines) for VM provisioning and management
- Deployment, maintenance, and updates of software tools critical to bare metal and VM provisioning such as Digital Rebar and Apache CloudStack
- Continuous improvements in our data centre maintenance process, collaborating in cross-team efforts to ensure robust and efficient operations
- Being on-call to ensure the seamless performance and uptime of the infrastructure & services, responding promptly to any issues or incidents
Projects you’ll be involved with:
- Streamlining our approach to data centre maintenance to make it as low effort as possible
- Scaling out the UK data centres to meet future customer demand
- Improving performance of our infrastructure
- Improving the automation of infrastructure provisioning
Tech stack: RackN Digital Rebar, Apache CloudStack, KVM, QEMU, Kubernetes, Terraform, Ansible, Packer
Check out this page for more information about how we work within engineering at Form3.
Our mission is clear: to revolutionise the world of payments with our cutting-edge technology and innovative solutions.
We believe that every payment should be simple, fast and secure. That’s why we have developed a world-class payment processing platform that is both reliable, scalable and easy to use.
Form3 handles enormous amounts of data, at scale, and often in real-time. As the first provider of a cloud-native, multi-cloud payments platform we have attracted interest from some of the world's leading financial institutions. From large banks to innovative FinTechs, with our single API solution, Form3 is changing the way payments are processed globally.
BENEFITS & PERKS
At Form3 we’re a remote-first company with employees located across 20+ different countries, meaning our benefits package will differ slightly depending on where you are based. Below is a high-level overview of what we offer currently;
- Competitive salaries
- 6 weeks vacation (excluding public holidays) per year
- 100% remote*
- Flexible working (we are very supportive of non-traditional working patterns). Part-time opportunities, job sharing, and summer hours are available.
- Work from any of our hiring locations for up to 6 weeks per year
- Healthcare, dental and vision in Canada and the US
- Hofy credits (to rent top-quality home office equipment)
- Free mental health support via Spill (our all-in-one mental health support tool)
- Health & Wellness budget (to claim back for your yoga classes, or gym membership etc)
- Learning & development budget
- 6 learning days per year
- Paid meetups
- Unlimited access to Udemy and Perlego
- Strong promote-from-within culture with plenty of career progression opportunities
- Equipment (e.g. MacBook, magic mouse, iPhone)
We can hire in the following locations; Belgium, Czechia, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Netherlands, Spain, Poland, Portugal, Romania and UK.
OUR DEI&B COMMITMENT
We hire talented people from a variety of backgrounds and experiences and are committed to a work environment based on diversity, open-mindedness and curiosity. We’re united by our company values (we even created them together!) and we celebrate our unique differences.
Our employee lifecycle processes are designed to embrace equal opportunity and prevent discrimination against our people regardless of personal characteristics. It is our strong belief that the more inclusive and belonging we are as a business, the better our work will be.
As an inclusive employer, we guarantee to interview all neurodiverse and physically disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria for this role. We also encourage candidates to notify us of any reasonable adjustments that may be required during the recruitment process. This includes providing job adverts in alternative, accessible formats or adjustments required at interview stage.
If you consider yourself to be neurodiverse or physically disabled under the UN definition of disability and would like to be considered under this scheme and/or require any reasonable adjustments please let us know by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org clearly stating your consent for us to process this data.
For more information please refer to our Recruitment Data Policy.
We asked employees of Form3 how satisfied they were with flexible working, and this is what they told us
Working at Form3
Gender diversity (male:female)
Remote (EU) / London