This is an exciting opportunity for a part-time Controller to join ClientEarth’s growing U.S. team. ClientEarth is an international environmental legal organization that works on the full suite of environmental issues globally. We are currently building and expanding our U.S. presence, where we focus on driving the shift toward sustainable business strategies and economic systems that limit climate change and protect the planet and all life on Earth.
You will be responsible for overseeing ClientEarth’s U.S. 501(c)(3) entity’s finance, accounting, and reporting activities.
You will lead all day-to-day finance operations of a growing budget (currently $3 million), including functional responsibility over accounting, accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll, and grants administration. You will ensure that ClientEarth North America has the systems and procedures in place to support effective program implementation and conduct audits. In addition, this role offers a great opportunity to gain a deep understanding of the specific financial obligations for international organizations operating in the U.S., while also gaining valuable international finance experience.
- Oversee all US accounts, ledgers, and reporting systems ensuring compliance with appropriate GAAP standards and regulatory requirements.
- Maintain internal control and safeguards for receipt of revenue, costs, and program budgets and actual expenditures.
- Coordinate all audit activity.
- Work closely with the Head of North America and other staff projecting allocations and identifying overall funding requirements.
- Oversee all financial, project/program and grants accounting; ensure that expenditures are consistently aligned with grant and program budgets throughout the grant/fund period.
- Process accounts receivable and payable, and monthly payroll
- Manage and track the performance of invested assets in keeping with policies and investment guidelines.
See the job description (below) for a full list of duties for this role.
- Bachelor’s or a master’s degree in accounting or finance
- Experience in a similar financial accounting role, including experience in accounts payable and receivable.
- Experience of working with Quickbooks or other similar accounting system
See the job description (below) for a full list of requirements for this role.
Note to candidates: We know that long lists of criteria can be daunting and that some candidates will not apply for a role unless they feel they are 100% qualified. If you feel you meet at least some of the essential criteria below, we still encourage you to apply.
Have a question about this job? Please visit our Careers site for advice on applying, FAQs, and more.
Flexible working: We are proud to be a Flexa accredited Employer. Visit our Flexa Employer page for more information on our approach to flexible working. Our flexible working policy allows our people the choice to decide to work from home in the country where their contract of employment is issued for 80% of their month, with the other 20% of their month being office-based See our Benefits page for more.
ClientEarth provides equal employment opportunity to all individuals regardless of their race, color, creed, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by state, federal, or local law
Please note that ClientEarth is only able to employ those who have the pre-existing legal right to work in the USA.
We asked employees of ClientEarth how satisfied they were with flexible working, and this is what they told us
Working at ClientEarth
Gender diversity (male:female)
London, Brussels, Warsaw, Madrid, Berlin, Beijing, Los Angeles, Luxembourg, Tokyo