We have an exciting opportunity for a Liability Claims Handler within our in-house claims unit to administer claims on a “cradle to grave” basis within the Centrica group. Working as part of a busy team, you will settle or defend claims appropriately, as well as recover losses from third parties.
Location: You will work on a hybrid basis of 3 days working from home and 2 days working in the Basingstoke office.
- To administer claims within the authority granted by the insurer on classes of business as directed from time to time. To liaise with the insurer frequently by way of update on such serious claims
- To investigate and monitor developments on incidents which could give rise to claims
- To liaise with insurers, loss adjusters and solicitors as required, to assist in their investigations into claims
- To monitor the status of claims and claim types to ensure risk management and loss control issues are addressed, including public relations matters, newly developing claim trends and poor/ late methods of accident reporting. Such issues are to be notified to the Claims Manager immediately
- Negotiation to point of settlement claims within pre-agreed criteria
- The jobholder will be in frequent contact with claimants, sometimes in confrontational situations; the jobholder must display diplomacy and tact in these situations as they are ambassadors for the group and all must be done to stop an escalation of the matter. The jobholder will have to work on their own initiative in such situations and take decisions on issues of liability, where necessary, if this limits such escalation.
- The jobholder will need extensive liaison with business units internally, often in conditions where urgent action is required to dissipate a public relations issue.
Competencies and Qualifications
- Tact, assertiveness and empathy when dealing with customers
- Excellent spoken and written communication skills
- Accuracy and attention to detail
- The ability to work well under pressure
- A professional attitude
- Good administrative and computer keyboard skills
- Respect for confidential information
- Previous experience in a similar working environment or within the claim’s unit of an insurance company is preferred
- A good working knowledge of the legal process and legislation surrounding compensation claims is preferred
- Sound attention to detail with the ability to deliver work to a consistently high standard and within agreed time scales
- Confident and capable in managing a range of customer correspondence, some of which may become emotionally charged
- Good levels of literacy, numeracy and Microsoft Windows experience
We are proud to be recognised as a disability-confident employer. Our customers come from a variety of different backgrounds, and so do we. We hire great people from all walks of life, not just because it’s the right thing to do, but because it makes our company stronger. We will continue championing inclusivity while investing in our local communities to create a better, more sustainable world for everyone. We are incredibly proud to have been recognised by The Times for being one of the Top 50 Employers for Women.
Our people are the beating heart of our business. We are incredibly proud of our commitment to being FlexFirst. From childcare to furry friends, we listened to our people and understood that they work best when they are comfortable and have a flexible working model that suits their individual needs.
We have tailored our well-being & benefits package around our employees as follows:
- Competitive salary and bonus potential
- Employee Energy Allowance
- Pension scheme
- Electric car lease scheme
- 25 days holiday allowance, public holidays, and the option to buy up to 5 additional days
- Excellent range of flexible benefits, including technology vouchers & travel insurance
At Centrica we embrace diversity and actively seek to attract individuals with unique backgrounds and perspectives. To build a more sustainable future, we need the best team – a team with a diverse mix of people and skills, where everyone feels welcome and able to succeed. We are dedicated in helping to close the diversity gap and would love to see more females, people of colour and LGBTQ+ employees, as well as those from a variety of cultures and ethnicity to veterans and the differently abled. Supporting diversity and inclusion is a big part of who we are, we are not looking for people to fit into our culture but to add to it!
PLEASE APPLY ONLINE by hitting the 'Apply' button.
Applications will ONLY be accepted via the ‘Apply’ button.
This role is being handled by the Centrica recruitment team and NO agency contact is required.
We asked employees of Centrica how satisfied they were with flexible working, and this is what they told us
Additional employee ratings
(these do not contribute to the FlexScore®)
Working at Centrica
Gender diversity (male:female)
Windsor, London, Cardiff, Leicester, Glasgow, Edinburgh, Manchester, Dublin, Stockport, Staines, Hampton, Aberdeen, Barrow, Hull