Finance - Dublin
Reporting to: Margin Manager
Bord Gáis Energy is one of Ireland’s leading energy and service companies. We supply gas, electricity, and energy services to over 700,000 homes and businesses across the country, offering excellent customer service as well as the best value possible. Bord Gáis Energy is uniquely positioned to drive positive change and we have an opportunity, as well as a responsibility, to reshape our future. While there are challenges ahead, we are committed to supporting our consumers and colleagues, to rethinking power generation, and to supporting an affordable and fair transition for all.
At Bord Gais, our Energy Services and Solutions business is key to ensuring we achieve our net zero strategy and we expect significant growth in this area in the next 5 years, launching new products and growing existing business lines such as solar panel and heat pump installation. As such, we have an exciting opportunity for a new Financial Accountant role dedicated to supporting the financial reporting and provision of insight for this business. The Financial Accountant will be expected to consider how we can monitor and support these products from a record to report perspective and to support the relevant business partners in the provision of financial insights.
Reporting to the Margin Manager, the Financial Accountant is responsible for ensuring that all financial transactions for the Energy Services and Solutions business are appropriately recorded in a timely and accurate manner, in order that financial close can be achieved to strict deadlines. The key responsibility will be completing the monthly accounting process alongside the analysis and reconciliation of BGE’s balance sheet.
The Financial Accountant will also play a key role in process improvement and change management with a major emphasis on enhancing internal controls that will support the businesses financial reporting requirements in addition to developing and embedding new processes to support new products being launched. In summary this team member will have a key focus on continuous improvement, while delivering a high quality, reliable monthly financial close.
About the Role:
Month end process and reporting
- Managing the monthly accounts close process, ensuring that appropriate controls are in place, monitored and any exceptions actioned.
- Responsible for compiling the Services and Solutions Profit and Loss account, sourcing data inputs from the Services business team, reviewing the source data for accuracy & completeness and preparing and posting journals.
- Summarise P&L performance and report to the Finance Business Performance team and provide context on the performance in the month.
- Working with other members of the financial control team to ensure compliance with the accounting and disclosure requirements.
- Process transformation: reviewing and enhancing processes in order to streamline financial reporting and improve controls.
- Developing and embedding robust processes in respect of new products launched
- Continuously monitor & strengthen our internal accounting control process.
- Preparation of all reports to meet business, group and regulatory requirements.
- Drive the BGE Finance Transformation journey, with the ability to step back and analyse the process with a view to driving efficiencies.
- Providing input into Finance related projects, as required.
- Partnering with the Services and Solutions operations team to enhance insight into ensuring correct accounting treatment of business transactions.
- Liaising with auditors as required.
- Establish and maintain strong working relationships with management, business partners and liaise with senior personnel on reporting requirements from all areas of the business.
- The job holder will have a strong technical accounting background with keen attention to detail.
- The successful candidate will need to demonstrate initiative, be self-motivating with strong organisational skills and track record of delivering results.
- Good analytical skills and problem-solving ability.
- Project management experience, in particular working with diverse stakeholders to achieve goals.
- The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate strong stakeholder management skills at all levels within the business.
- The job holder will have the ability to successfully prioritise and work on multiple tasks concurrently with strong time management skills and an ability to work to strict deadlines.
- The successful candidate will be a team player prepared to help others achieve department goals.
- A strong level of verbal and written communication skills including an ability to communicate well with senior management.
- Excellent IT skills in particular advanced Excel.
- SAP skills an advantage but not essential.
Qualifications & Experience
- Newly qualified accountant / QBE - ACA, ACCA, CIMA
Bord Gáis Energy are committed to placing equality, diversity, care and respect at the heart of our policies and everyday practices. We encourage everyone to take part in our active employee networks, including the Women's network, REACH (Race, Ethnicity, & Cultural Heritage) network, Neurodiversity network, and BRÓD, our LGBTQ+ network. We're proud of the work our networks and allies do to help us promote a culture of inclusion, empowering our colleagues to be themselves and do their best work. Our vision is to employ a diverse mix of people who reflect the societies we work in and the customers we serve, so we welcome applications from people of all backgrounds and perspectives.
Our Flexible First working model empowers our people to find a better balance between home and office working. You can enjoy the convenience of working from home combined with time spent onsite in a way that works for you, our customers, and our business. Our office is used as a place to connect and collaborate with colleagues, rather than your default place of work each day.
Here in Bord Gáis Energy we’re helping to create a more sustainable and inclusive future that supports our communities, our planet – and each other. The prevention of family homelessness in Ireland is an area where we believe we can make a real difference and through our partnership with Focus Ireland, we have been working on making this a reality since 2015. We encourage all colleagues to get involved in the partnership, with everyone receiving 2 days' volunteering leave to participate in initiatives or events supporting Focus Ireland.
Climate change is one of the greatest challenges facing society and the energy sector has a key role to play in helping the world transition to net zero. As one of Ireland’s leading energy and services companies, we’re on a journey of transformation; to accelerate our positive impact and bring our customers on this journey with us. As we look to the future we're transforming our energy supply, services and solutions in order to become a leading net zero business in Ireland by 2045 and to help our customers reach net zero by 2050. Our ambition is to use our services, footprint and propositions to better both people and planet
care | delivery | collaboration | agility | courage
The closing date for receipt of applications for this vacancy is the 13th of February 2024.
PLEASE APPLY ONLINE by hitting the 'Apply' button.
Applications will ONLY be accepted via the ‘Apply’ button.
This role is being handled by the Centrica recruitment team and NO agency contact is required.
We asked employees of Centrica how satisfied they were with flexible working, and this is what they told us
Additional employee ratings
(these do not contribute to the FlexScore®)
Working at Centrica
Gender diversity (male:female)
Windsor, London, Cardiff, Leicester, Glasgow, Edinburgh, Manchester, Dublin, Stockport, Staines, Hampton, Aberdeen, Barrow, Hull