The Senior Human Factors Consultant is responsible for professionally and efficiently delivering Human Factors advice and/or artifacts to both internal and external clients .
Responsibilities and Tasks
- Provide Human Factors (HF) advice and support to internal and external customers , support ing analysis of the following aspects of human- centered design:
- Physical: visibility, reachability, usability, ingress/egress/ access ;
- Cognitive: workload, usability, situational awareness, human error ; and
- Environmental: lighting, noise .
- Write and evaluate HF requirements and assist in the development of HF verification plans.
- Work within a multi-disciplinary team.
- Comply with relevant codes of conduct.
- Undertake technical activities in a way that contributes to best practices.
- Work within BMT QMS processes and procedures.
- Work within a team, or alone , assisting external clients to understand and improve their HF governance processes for all system lifecycle stages.
- Author and /or conduct technical review of HF- related documents with limited supervision .
- Conduct support activities with limited supervision, including, but not limited to:
- Provide HF support to client taskings as required by the nature of the task at hand ;
- Support the work of team members allocated to HF taskings ;
- Participate in cross-functional project teams in support of client taskings ;
- Provide non-technical support to client taskings as required ; and
- Propose, prepare , and present technical papers at HF -related conferences.
- Maintain technical currency in HF- specific strategies, policies, standards , and regulations including ISO and Military Standards (e.g., MIL-STD-1472) to support client requirements.
- For deliverables within the HF discipline, act as Technical Lead, Technical Reviewer , or Technical Approver as appropriate and as agreed with your Line Manager and approved at the Proposal Approval Gate .
- Contribute to non- HF tasks utilising relevant and transferable knowledge and skills.
In addition to these duties, the post holder may be required to carry out such other duties as may reasonably be required , from time to time, to achieve the above role purpose.
Authority, Accountability and Working Relationships
The role is responsible and accountable to:
Combat & Systems Manager (or their delegate)
Required to forge effective working relationships with:
- HF team members
- Project-specific Technical Leads
- Project-specific Project Managers
- Project team members
- Hours of Work are 38.75 hours/ week
- This role is assumed to be Ottawa-based, however alternative locations may be considered
- Travel to BMT offices on occasion, which may be overseas, as and when required .
- This role is subject to the appointee successfully qualifying in an appropriate ELMS category .
Key Knowledge, Experience and Skills
- At least 10 years combined experience in supporting Human System Integration / Human Factor Engineering processes, with a minimum of three years in the last seven years.
- Possess a n engineering or postgraduate university degree in Psychology, Kinesiology , or other Human F actors -related field from a recognized university .
- Possess a membership for a recognized Human Factors association (e.g., Human Factors Association of Canada (HFAC), Human Factors and Ergonomics Society (HFES), Ergonomics Society) .
- Level II (Secret) Security Clearance , or the ability to obtain .
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Currently authorized to work in Canada.
- Experience working within large complex projects, involving multiple stakeholders, shifting priorities, and significant budgets .
- Experience working with government agencies such as RCMP, Health Canada , the Department of National Defence (DND), or the Canadian Armed Forces ,
- Understanding of the application and tailoring of systems engineering standards and the system engineering lifecycle .
- Consulting experience.
- Exposure to Canadian procurement practices and activities from a Human Factors perspective .
We asked employees of BMT how satisfied they were with flexible working, and this is what they told us
Working at BMT
Gender diversity (male:female)
66% Male, 28% Female
Teddington, Bath, Southampton, Fareham, Bristol, Plymouth, Weymouth, Leeds, Aberdeen, Glasgow