Reliability & Maintainability Consultant
We exist to navigate the most important and impactful engineering challenges of our time. We create environments where people with outstanding technical knowledge deliver meaningful, practical solutions. We are driven by a commitment to a safer, more efficient, effective and sustainable future. To find out more about BMT please go to www.bmt.org
Through our projects and operations, we seek to create positive economic, social, and environmental outcomes, inspiring and helping our customers, suppliers, and partners to have a more positive impact in the world. We are committed to demonstrating sustainability practices across our operations, and conduct business in a manner that is responsible, and accountable.
We know that diversity, equity, and inclusion are critical to achieving our purpose as a business. Our goal is to build more diverse teams and to create an environment where employees are engaged, thriving, and feel a sense of belonging.
Why work for us?
At BMT, our employee benefits are designed to ensure you have the resources you need to thrive.
In addition to a competitive salary, we offer a wide range of benefits in areas including health, family, finance, and personal development. An example of some of the benefits we offer.
- Private Medical (family coverage)
- Enhanced Pension
- Flexible Working
- Wellbeing Fund – a yearly fund for you to spend on a hobby or interest.
- Employee Assistance Programme
- 26 days annual leave (plus bank holidays)
- Holiday Trading
- Retail Vouchers
- Professional Subscriptions
“We’ve been Flexified, so you can trust that we’re a truly flexible workplace” This enables us to be more adaptable in how we work and supports us towards delivering our 2035 Net Zero target
To find out more about our verified flexible status, visit - Flexa Careers | Flexible Workplaces Offering Freedom & Choice
What is the role?
As part of our exciting growth plans, we are looking for a Reliability & Maintainability (R&M) consultant to join our Asset Performance Services business line. As part of the team you will deliver world class solutions to our varied client base.
As a Reliability & Maintainability (R&M) Consultant you will be passionate about R&M and providing independent and assured R&M advice. You will support the delivery of R&M projects to schedule, quality and budget, whilst meeting client and corporate expectations. Your knowledge and experience of reliability engineering techniques, processes and concepts will allow you to support our clients in delivering expert technical solutions to their complex requirements.
As a consultant you will have a contracted location in one of our offices (Bath, Fareham, Plymouth, Glasgow or Weymouth) and you will be required to work on client sites, as required. Depending on project needs you will be expected to occasionally travel to customer sites and BMT offices.
Who are we looking for?
This role will require successful applicants to have knowledge of equipment design, operations, and support, and they will need to demonstrate their ability and track record of:
- Conducting R&M engineering tasks of complex systems eg. Military Equipment and/or Rail Rolling Stock, including for example:
- Applying applicable R&M and Dependability standards, for example DEF STAN 00-040 Series, the BS EN IEC 60300 Series, BS EN 62741:2015, BS EN IEC 60812, BS 5760 Series, MIL STD 1629, NPRD 2016 and RIAC Handbook 217Plus;
- Articulating results of R&M engineering tasks in formal reports (eg. R&M Case Reports) and presentations;
Successful applicants will need to demonstrate:
- Awareness of related standards including DEF STAN 00-600 and BR1313A.
- Understanding of the relationships between R&M and Design, Dependability, Safety, ILS & Asset Management;
- Confidence at liaising with clients and other technical disciplines on R&M issues;
Successful applicants will be:
- Solution focused and undertake work/projects in a logical and pragmatic approach;
- Flexible and adaptable and have a genuine enthusiasm to contribute to the growth of a successful business;
- Self-motivated with a proactive approach to professional accreditation, such as IEng or CEng. We value professional qualifications and professional registration with appropriate bodies, and we can provide support, training, and tailored experience for you to achieve these, if not already held.
As much of our work is directly customer focused, your excellent communication skills and ability to present professionally both verbally and in writing are essential for this role. We also welcome your analytical thinking skills and your ability to work well in a team.
Membership and active involvement with appropriate R&M organisations is encouraged (e.g. Safety and Reliability Society).
Please note, to be considered for this role you must be eligible to hold UK Security Clearance at SC level and will be subject to security checks.
Does this sound like you? If so, please submit your application as soon as possible. We look forward to learning more about you.
A message to recruitment agencies: We receive applications exclusively via our ATS. Please note that we do not accept CVs submitted via email to the HR department or staff within our Operational teams. We will not progress CVs shared on a speculative basis by email and you accept our right to pursue such candidates with no obligation to third-party terms and conditions or liability to a fee
We asked employees of BMT how satisfied they were with flexible working, and this is what they told us
Working at BMT
Gender diversity (male:female)
66% Male, 28% Female
Teddington, Bath, Southampton, Fareham, Bristol, Plymouth, Weymouth, Leeds, Aberdeen, Glasgow