Unmind is a workplace mental health platform. We empower employees to live more fulfilling and balanced lives by changing the way organisations around the world think about mental health. We believe that everyone has the right to a healthy mind – because we all have mental health, all of the time – and we’re striving to create a world where mental health is universally understood, nurtured, and celebrated.
Having closed our Series B funding in April 2021, and looking ahead to our Series C, we're excited about the next stage of growth which will enable us to deliver on our mission to improve the mental wellbeing of ten million people in organisations around the world. We’re a fast-growing team with over 170 Unminders across London, Sydney and New York and would love for you to join us as our new Senior Systems Engineer.
Uniting Behind Uniqueness
We are committed to building an inclusive workplace and encourage everyone to bring their whole selves to work. However you identify, and whatever background you bring with you, we welcome you to apply for a role at Unmind.
If there are any adjustments that would help improve your experience with Unmind, please do let us know when you apply.
We also believe our interview process should be inclusive and transparent. Find out what to expect and more about our commitment to diversity on our candidate FAQs page here. As always, if there is anything missing, or you've identified a way we can improve, just let us know!
The Role – Senior Systems Engineer
We are looking for a Senior Systems Engineer to join our Platform Engineering team. Our Platform Engineering team is responsible for empowering Unmind Engineering to rapidly author, ship & operate scalable code in production. Unmind operates on a Serverless architecture in AWS alongside key integrations with 3rd party services.
We’re scaling quickly, which means that the focus and responsibilities of any position can be quite dynamic – but here’s how we initially see your skills and passion coming to life at Unmind
Build - You will contribute to our production platform using IaC and assist in building new systems as we scale. You will contribute to tooling that underpins our systems and services.
Own - You will be involved from ideation to deployment to operations as we build key features of our platform and product.
Drive - You will contribute to technical discussions and will be involved in decision-making to ensure that Unmind is always using the most appropriate technologies and tools for the job. You will advocate a DevSecTestOps ethos and wider DevOps culture within engineering teams.
Collaborate - You will work closely with Product Development teams, helping them to move fast in creating and scaling their infrastructure. You will work closely with engineers, understanding their needs and providing operational expertise when they need help.
Skills and Experience
We firmly believe that no-one is the finished article and that there should be learning in every role you do. However, some experience in the following is important for the role.
We're looking for people who are:
- Experience working with AWS services (IAM, RDS, EC2, Lambda, CloudFront, etc.) in a production environment
- Excellent understanding of monitoring and logging solutions (CloudTrail, CloudWatch, DataDog)
- Experience provisioning and supporting robust and scalable CI/CD pipelines with tools such as Jenkins, Github, CircleCI, Teamcity
- Experience defining Infrastructure as Code using Terraform or CloudFormation
- Experience with configuration management tooling such as Ansible, Puppet, or Salt
- Experience with at least one high-level programming language such as Python, Go, Java, Nodejs
- Experience with Linux, TCP, IP, basic network principles
- Experience with Agile development practices, and working amongst cross-functional teams.
- A strong appetite for learning and self-development
- Passionate about mental health, tech-for-good, and generally improving people’s lives.
- Comfortable working in an environment of rapid growth, constant change, and lots of unknown
- Hungry to make Unmind the global category leader of workplace mental health.
At Unmind we believe in having a whole person approach and we hope that our benefits enhance the lives of Unminders, helping them be happy, healthy and fulfilled. You can see the full details of our benefits on the careers page, but they include:
To support you throughout everyday life at Unmind
- Private Medical Insurance for you and your family
- Pension | 401(k) | Superannuation
- Global EAP
- Life Insurance
- Unmind Equity scheme
Taking time to celebrate and experience the important moments in life.
- 25 days annual leave plus your birthday day off
- Flexible working, including flexible use of Public Holidays
- Summer Fridays
- Celebration days
- £1,000 annual learning budget with 2 days learning leave
- Gender-neutral parental leave policy and Parental coaching
Ensuring Unminders have access to tools that enrich both their bodies and their minds.
- Monthly ClassPass Subscription
- Cycle-to-work scheme
- Regular company socials and wellbeing activities
- Friend and family access to the Unmind platform
- Office perks (free on-site gym, rooftop seating, community events)
- Dog-friendly workplace
The FlexScore® is the result of a rigorous 2-step verification of a company’s flexibility
First we assess the flexibility options Unmind provides and then we anonymously survey a statistically significant proportion of their employees to make sure Unmind is as flexible as they say they are. Our assessment is based on the six key elements of flexibility: location, hours, autonomy, benefits, role modelling and work-life balance.
We ask the hard questions so you don’t have to.
Working at Unmind
Gender diversity (male:female)
London, New York, Sydney
What employees are saying
"I love working here. I've worked in other companies that say they have a flexible working culture, but the reality doesn't match. At Unmind, I've felt trusted and empowered since day one to work the way that is right for me."
Anonymous Employee at Unmind