3–4 days per week at home
A little flex time
- Location: London (Hybrid, min 1 day per week in office)
- Salary: £100,000 - £120,000+ Per Annum
- Job Type: Permanent
- Closing Date: 17/06/2022
Unibuddy has experienced explosive growth since launching in 2017. We now work with nearly 600 higher ed institutions in 35 countries worldwide. We’ve raised over $33M from top-tier investors, and we’re on course to achieve our ambitious goal of empowering 10 million students to make the right choices in their higher ed journey.
Here’s where you come in:
As Head of Platforms, your primary responsibilities are to foster an environment where high performing core, data and architecture teams emerge and succeed and ensure your team builds a scalable, secure and stable platform through their engineering efforts.
You’ll understand Unibuddy’s strategy and drive big platform bets across your teams to help us reach our goal of empowering 10 million students to make the right higher education choices.
- Own and define the Platforms vision that brings together the core platform, data engineering and architecture roadmaps.
- Build high performing teams by hiring effectively and ensuring squads deliver excellent KPIs and meet delivery targets.
- Ensure your team understands the “why”, motivate them, make sure they are free from impediments and cultivate a culture of psychological safety and continuous improvement.
- Work closely with the core platform, architecture and data engineering functional leaders to help them mould strategies that are well aligned to the business priorities.
- Mentor and coach functional leaders to become more effective leaders through 1:1s, objectives setting and growth conversations.
- Communicate clearly with relevant stakeholders such as senior management, product leaders and and other engineers regarding the goals and progress of the Platforms tribe.
This might be for you if…
- You have previously built elite performing teams and have empowered leaders to build such teams (you know how to lead other managers).
- You have a strong technical background and understanding of architecture, platforms and data engineering. You may have worked on creating architecture principles, setting governance standards, designing a data lake or enabling teams to move to independent deployment of services through developing a microservices architecture.
- You have worked with product and engineering leaders to build a platform-as-a-product culture that empowers software engineering squads to operate autonomously at high velocity and with high quality.
- You can work effectively and have a track record of having driven complex platforms projects which involve the coordination between multiple teams/squads
If you don't meet all the requirements but think you might still be right for the role, please apply anyway. We're always keen to speak to people who connect with our mission and values.
About our Team
As an engineering team, we are dedicated, hardworking, and always looking to learn and improve our craft. This happens in regular knowledge-sharing sessions with our product, data and platform squads. Our team is super collaborative and has complete ownership over products.
In our work, we use industry best practices like TDD, CI/CD, and code reviews as part of building every feature. We also continually evaluate new technologies to see if they can help improve our platform. There's real opportunities to learn and develop through experimenting with new technologies in our very modern tech stack.
You can check out the technologies that we work with here.
Perks and Benefits
- Salary of £100,000 - £120,000+ plus stock options.
- Highly flexible work culture. Hybrid work-from-home and office environment.. Flexible hours.
- 25 days of annual leave plus 4 additional days for the Christmas and national holidays.
- Family friendly policy. Enhanced maternity, paternity and adoption leave.
- Latest MacBook or PC. Monitor for your home is also provided.
- Home working setup provided.
- Private healthcare provided by Bupa.
- Mental health support provided by Spill.
- Life insurance.
- Learning & development budget of £800 per year.
- Engineering perks:
- Monthly squad learning days
- 2 weeks of personal project time annually. Build what you want!
- Enhanced equipment budget. We supply you with a laptop with the highest specs to enable you to work best.
✉️ Ready to apply?
Great! Please send a CV and supporting statement which outlines why you would like to work with Unibuddy, and why you are well suited to this role. We encourage you to send us something that showcases your skills!
Not ready to apply or have some questions? Then please get in touch with the talent team at email@example.com
Unibuddy is an equal opportunity employer. We're actively looking to increase the diversity of our buddies across the company and we encourage people to apply from minority groups.
🛂 Please note that Unibuddy does not sponsor visas for this role.