Fully flexible hours
Rail is set to dominate short and medium haul travel around the world. It’s faster, cheaper, greener and more convenient than air travel, and it cuts down on the carbon emitting congestion of road travel. With the current climate crisis it’s more important than ever to put this mode of transport at the forefront of people's minds. For every travel company having rail as a booking option is like having vegan choices on the menu – it’s a must! The trouble is, there’s been nothing modern about rail’s online customer experience… until now.
We are SilverRail, a global tech company working to solve this problem by delivering the digital infrastructure that opens up rail to the world! Our technology is powering rail and travel agencies across Europe, USA and Australia/NZ in both leisure and corporate markets, making it easy for people to choose rail and cut their carbon emissions.
Although we have been around for more than 10 years, and with our teams based globally in London, Boston, Brisbane and Stockholm, we still consider ourselves an agile start-up business. We are using the Scrum framework for all our software development, and we believe in ‘fail-fast-fail-early’ to find innovative solutions to complex problems. Our agility and refreshingly novel approaches mean we have already developed into a force to be reckoned with in the European market, but we have ambitions for so much more! With a raft of new clients joining us, and with our growth about to enter its prime, we aim to become the biggest player in the rail tech space.
As a Senior Front End Engineer you’ll thrive on collaborating with your peers and participating in the full stack design and development process with product owners. You’ll bring your passion for writing clean, solid code to our highly scalable system.
The role is required to participate in each stage of Agile development from requirements to final acceptance. You are expected to participate in all Scrum Sprint ceremonies/meetings and strive to ensure that each new feature matches the Definition of Done.
Key responsibilities and authorities
- The analysis, design, implementation, documentation, and maintenance of software components.
- Devising techniques for better modularity, testability, install-ability and maintainability of our flagship React application.
- Writing clean, scalable, readable and maintainable code.
- Developing features to enhance the user experience.
- Striking a balance between functional and aesthetic design.
- Mentoring team-members on writing clean, maintainable, secure code and following best practices to help your team deliver projects to completion.
- Assisting in the overall architecture and design of SilverRail’s web UI, which is utilised by numerous Train Operating Companies across Europe, USA, Australia and New Zealand.
Competence and skills
- BSc in Computer Science or equivalent required.
- Minimum 5 years of hands-on work experience.
- Work experience working in an Agile (Scrum) environment.
- Work experience with source control systems such as Gitlab is required.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong time management skills with the ability to prioritise and meet deadlines.
- A self-starter who is hands-on and knows how to find answers and work with ambiguity.
- Proactive role model and an effective team contributor.
- We have an average Glassdoor grade of 4.7 and 100% recommendation rates.
- We are an accredited flexible company and were named in Flexa’s Top 50 Most Flexible Companies
- We utilise a hybrid working model, providing equipment for home working alongside occasional visits to our beautiful central London office.
- We offer a highly competitive benefits package including private healthcare and Perkbox rewards, as well as stock options that give you the chance to buy into SilverRail’s future.
- We provide a wealth of career development opportunities with training that is individual, focused on improving your skills and helping you become the best professional you can be.
- Our team’s health and wellness is genuinely important to us, so we offer a number of wellbeing seminars, yoga classes, and membership to the #1 leading meditation app.
- A unique opportunity to work for a tech start-up that is revolutionising the way we travel.
Our values are simple: Do Good by working for a better tomorrow; Think Big Act Smart by being curious, adaptable and data-driven; and remember that through collaboration we will always be Stronger Together.
*We are a neurodiverse employer and are working hard to improve our recruitment processes, so if there is any way that we can make the recruitment experience better for you then please let us know in your application - all information will be treated as strictly confidential*