Fully flexible hours
*This position is a hybrid remote working role, therefore we are ideally looking for candidates commutable to London 1-2 days per month for team collaboration days. Please also note, we are unable to provide sponsorship for at this time*
Rail is set to dominate short and medium haul travel around the world. Its faster, cheaper, greener and more convenient than air. With the current climate crisis, it is increasingly important to put this mode of transport at the forefront of people's minds. The trouble is, there’s nothing modern about rail’s online customer experience.
Our global company is working to solve that problem, delivering the digital infrastructure that opens up rail to the world! Our technology is powering rail and travel agencies across Europe, USA and Australia/NZ in both leisure and corporate markets.
As a QA Engineer, you will be responsible for ensuring that our product delivery meets the highest quality standards while we transform the rail industry. To ensure we can scale our products and release quickly we need to implement high quality automated tests so we are not burdened by large amounts of manual tests. The role of a QA Engineer requires a passion and commitment to quality that extends beyond that of QA testing. If you love to automate everything, this is the role for you.
The role is required to participate in each stage of development from requirements to final acceptance. QA Engineers are expected to participate in Sprint Planning and estimation, and to hold the Scrum team to account regarding output quality throughout the execution of each sprint. They will strive to ensure that each new feature has appropriate automated tests and will be able to use manual exploratory testing where automation isn’t feasible. You will extensively utilise automated testing techniques to increase efficiency and reliability of testing efforts in a continuous integration environment.
The team is very collaborative, friendly and improvement oriented. Having fun while at work is a must! We support a flexible home working environment with occasional travel into the London office.
Key responsibilities and authorities
- Review user stories and functional requirements.
- Assist with defining acceptance criteria and estimate Sprint quality tasks in terms of test automation and manual testing
- Build and maintain automated test cases to automate validation of acceptance criteria which will be used for regression tests in future Sprints
- Create and maintain CI jobs to run the automated tests
- Contribute to and develop automation testing frameworks and tools
- Review and report test results, collection and reporting of test data and trends.
- Attend and actively participate in Scrum planning, daily stand-ups, Sprint Reviews and Retrospectives
- Ownership and management of test environments and configurations
- Execution of manual tests where required
Competence and skills
- Minimum of 5 years of work experience in a software engineering/quality engineering position
- Minimum of 2 years of work experience in an Agile delivery environment
- Experience writing automated tests in any language
- Strong technical and troubleshooting skills
- Sketching out ideas for automated software test procedures.
- Ability to think strategically, demonstrating critical thought in a complex business environment.
- Experience using Agile Scrum, definition of acceptance criteria
- Experience with leveraging CI to release software faster
- Understanding of software testing best practices
- Familiarity with Linux
- Exposure to AWS/Kubernetes is a bonus
- Experience in navigating databases and the ability to run SQL queries in support of analysis work.
- Understanding of SOAP and HTTP web services (bonus)
- Exposure to Mobile/UI testing and automation ( plus )
- Tertiary qualification in computing science, engineering or equivalent
- Ability to work independently and within a team setting with minimal direction/supervision
- Focus on continuous improvement and innovation
- We have an average Glassdoor grade of 4.7 and 100% recommendation rates.
- We are an accredited flexible company and were named in Flexa’s Top 50 Most Flexible Companies
- We utilise a hybrid working model, providing equipment for home working alongside occasional visits to our beautiful central London office.
- We offer a highly competitive benefits package including private healthcare and Perkbox rewards, as well as stock options that give you the chance to buy into SilverRail’s future.
- We provide a wealth of career development opportunities with training that is individual, focused on improving your skills and helping you become the best professional you can be.
- Our team’s health and wellness is genuinely important to us, so we offer a number of wellbeing seminars, yoga classes, and membership to the #1 leading meditation app.
- A unique opportunity to work for a tech start-up that is revolutionising the way we travel.
Our values are simple: Do Good by working for a better tomorrow; Think Big Act Smart by being curious, adaptable and data-driven; and remember that through collaboration we will always be Stronger Together.
*We are a neurodiverse employer and are working hard to improve our recruitment processes, so if there is any way that we can make the recruitment experience better for you then please email us directly: email@example.com - all information will be treated as strictly confidential*