3–4 days per week at home
Fully flexible hours
RSPB Forsinard Flows has a fantastic opportunity for someone to join the reserve team as a Warden. The team at Forsinard Flows are looking for an enthusiastic practical candidate who will work both well in a team and independently.
RSPB Forsinard Flows
RSPB Forsinard Flows is set in the heart of the internationally recognised Flow Country of Caithness and Sutherland. Not only is the Flow Country the most intact and extensive blanket bog in Europe it hosts an ecosystem unique within the UK.
The Forsinard Flows reserve encompasses over 21,000 Ha of the Flow Country where the RSPB are working to preserve and promote healthy peatlands (alongside other habitats such as riparian and montane woodland), whilst repairing the damage done to this ecosystem from controversial afforestation in the 1970’s and 1980’s.
The reserve boundary encompasses multiple designated sites including SSSI’s, SPAs and the UK’s largest terrestrial SAC. As a result, the Forsinard Flows team are responsible for conserving, promoting, and monitoring a variety of rare and vulnerable habitats and species. The Flows Field Centre is rural and remote, being about 2.5 hours from the RSPB regional office in Inverness.
To join the RSPB Forsinard Flows reserve warden team responsible for the effective and efficient day to day running of the site, under the guidance of a Site Manager. Responsibilities of the warden team include habitat management, management plan delivery, species and habitat monitoring, leading volunteer work groups, livestock monitoring and visitor operations.
Key Result Areas
- Jointly responsible for the implementation of the reserve management plan including habitat management, record keeping and grazing to ensure delivery of objectives and compliance obligations for the site and RSPB.
- Lead volunteer work parties (both residential and local volunteers).
- Undertake and co-ordinate species/habitat surveys and monitoring work on site to ensure delivery of site objectives.
- Undertake the maintenance of the reserve estate (inc machinery) to ensure efficient and safe operation and use to meet the RSPB’s sites’ Health and Safety and other obligations.
- Contribute to the production of the management plan and annual report as directed by the Site Manager.
Essential skills, knowledge and experience:
- Conservation land management
- Relevant ecological knowledge of peatland ecosystems
- Relevant knowledge of compliance requirements (e.g agricultural and environmental legislation with particular reference to grazing livestock)
- Communication and interpersonal skills
- Estate management
- Record keeping and data management
- Organisation including time management and prioritisation
- Problem solving
- Full, manual Driving Licence, valid in the UK
- Proven track record of reserve or land management
- Biological monitoring
- Working with graziers
- Working with contractors
- Working with staff or volunteers
Desirable qualifications, knowledge, skills and experience
- Machinery operations and equipment servicing
- Working with visitors
- IT and database (Merlin or GIS)
This is an exciting, varied role within a unique part of the world. Forsinard Flows is a reserve delivering for nature on many fronts with the potential to do more, a suitable candidate will realise that potential and help the reserve deliver its utmost for nature and people.
The successful candidate will be expected to work from the Flows Field Centre for part of a standard week. The Field Centre is rural and remote, being about 2.5 hours from the RSPB regional office in Inverness.
This is a Permanent, Full-Time role. We are looking to conduct interviews for this position from 20th September 2022. For further information please contact Ben.OliverJones@rspb.org.uk
As part of this application process you will be asked to provide a copy of your CV and complete an application form including evidence on how you meet the skills, knowledge, and experience listed above.
The RSPB is an equal opportunities employer. This role is covered by the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974.
Before applying for this role, we recommend reading through the candidate guidance notes attached to the top of this advert.