Our nature reserves offer huge opportunity to engage with people, particularly being near the urban centre of Exeter. We do this through a variety of family, self-led, guided and VIP-style events. We also have ‘the Lookout’, a comfy hide extension at Bowling Green Marsh which is our centre for face-to-face visitor engagement. The high-performing RSPB shop at Darts Farm generates income to support our work and there is a membership offer to grow. We have exciting infrastructure improvement projects in the pipeline.
We have an exciting opportunity for a motivated ‘people-person’ to join our team as our Visitor Operations Manager, to lead the development and delivery of our visitor business and operation around the Exe Estuary (and further afield in Devon)
The Exe Estuary nature reserves and Darts farm RSPB shop are our focus for our visitor work, bringing the nature loving community together on our reserve and sharing our passions.
This area of Devon is fantastic for wildlife with huge variety just on the doorstep of Exeter. We have grand plans to grow our visitor operation to connect with even more people with nature and we need YOUR help to do it!
This exciting role involves the following:-
You will lead the development, integration and delivery of all the visitor facing elements of the Devon reserves with the aim of creating an exemplar visitor experience that maximises support for nature. This post will allow you to make a big impact for nature conservation.
You will be part of a small and friendly team based at the Exe Estuary. You will also be supported by a large and fantastic team of volunteers, and colleagues in commercial consultancy roles.
We are wanting to attract someone who ideally has these essential skills
- Sound understanding of systems and procedures relevant to a commercial visitor operation
- Proven ability to plan and prioritise workloads
- A natural leader who can motivate and inspire people at all levels
- Experience of delivering an customer and visitor service experience
- Able to build and maintain strong working relationships
It would also be helpful in your role if you have the following (but please don't be put off from applying if you don't) as we are willing to be as flexible as hopefully YOU are. We will also spend time training the right person, if needed.
- A-level standard qualifications or equivalent
- Computer literate with excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Problem solving skills and ability to work on own initiative
- Ability to manage and respond to customer needs and feedback
- Experience of managing a commercial public facing operation
- Experience of managing a diverse team
Desirable Skills and Experience:
Experience of analysing and interpreting data in a visitor experience environment
Experience of delivery a high-quality visitor offer
Ability to maximise opportunities for visitor engagement and income generation
Experience of managing and delivering against targets and KPI’s
We also need you to have an ability and willingness to work flexibly including weekends, bank holidays, school holidays and some evenings or early mornings. Our flexibility works both ways and we will support you with outside work commitments too.
This role would suit a broad range of people. If you can do the work, please apply. We are flexible and support many different working patterns and arrangements according to the diverse situations of our team. We encourage applications from all backgrounds and are committed to having a team with a diverse set of skills, experiences and abilities.
The role is a permanent, part-time post at 30 hours/week. We are looking to conduct interviews for this position from 12th January 2023. For further information please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
As part of this application process you will be asked to provide a copy of your CV and complete an application form including evidence on how you meet the skills, knowledge, and experience listed above.
This role will require the completion of a DBS in addition to the standard pre-employment checks.
The RSPB is an equal opportunities employer. This role is exempt from the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974.
Before applying for this role, we recommend reading through the candidate guidance notes attached to the top of this advert.
The FlexScore® is the result of a rigorous 2-step verification of a company’s flexibility
First we assess the flexibility options RSPB provides and then we anonymously survey a statistically significant proportion of their employees to make sure RSPB is as flexible as they say they are. Our assessment is based on the six key elements of flexibility: location, hours, autonomy, benefits, role modelling and work-life balance.
We ask the hard questions so you don’t have to.
Working at RSPB
Gender diversity (male:female)
Across all 4 UK Countries
What employees are saying
I feel the RSPB is very flexible and this is reflected through the Line Management chain - I know I have the flexibility on a daily basis to start early / finish late, if something crops up at home - I am very satisfied :)
More roles at RSPB
- Part-Time Catering Assistant
- Visitor Experience Officer at RSPB Pulborough Brooks
- Environmental Advisor
- Digital Technology - Senior Delivery Manager
- Café Assistants x2 (Full-Time & Part-Time)
- Community Development Manager
- Estate Worker (Fixed Term)
- Social Media Assistant / Cynorthwyydd Cyfryngau Cymdeithasol
- Conservation Officer - The Wash and North Norfolk Coast
- Estate Worker - Carnforth
- Senior Rural Surveyor, Wareham Arc Recovery Project
- Senior Project Manager - LIFE 100% Favourable (Fixed-Term)
- Bird Surveyor at Powharnal
- Estate Worker
- Rural Surveyor. Flexible Central and Eastern England
- Carbon Farming Project Manager - (Fixed-Term)
- Part Time - Centre Assistant - Fixed Term
- Legacy Team Executive - RSPB UKHQ - The Lodge
- New to Nature Placement - Assistant Warden. Apply via Survey Monkey link.
- Part-Time - Cleaner
- Part-Time Retail Assistant
- Visitor Experience Manager
- Volunteer Engagement Manager
- Community Fundraising Manager - Scotland (Part-Time)
- Assistant Warden (Seasonal) Anglesey Terns SPA (4 posts)
- Senior Conservation Officer
- Head of Sustainable Land Use Policy - England
- Fundraising Manager - Scotland
- Part Time - Catering Assistant - (Fixed Term)
- Part-Time Catering Assistant x 2 (Fixed-Term)
- Senior Financial Accountant
- Assistant Catering Manager
- Curlew Monitoring Officer - (Fixed term)
- Head of Marine Policy
- Campaigns Developer - Flexible in UK
- Curlew Life Research Assistant (Technical) - RSPB Northern Ireland
- New to Nature Placement - Community and Visitor Engagement Assistant - Apply via Survey Monkey Link
- New to Nature Placement - Access to Nature Project Assistant. Apply via Survey Monkey link.
- Head of Policy & Advocacy - England
- Project Manager - (Frampton Marsh)
- Nature Protection Policy Officer (Fixed-Term)
- Part Time - Learning Assistant - (Fixed term)
- Curlew LIFE Research Assistant (RSPB Northern Ireland)
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Bedford Area
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Luton Area
- Centre Assistant - variable hours - (Fixed Term)
- 2 x Senior Administrator - (Fixed Term)
- Employee Relations Adviser - x3 (Part-Time & Full-Time roles available)
- Research Assistants x2 - Twite Recovery Project
- PT or FT - Senior Project Manager – Nature Positive Biodiversity Gain in Scotland (Fixed Term)
- Assistant Warden - (Fixed Term)
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Telford
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Chester
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Driffield - Flexible within East Yorks.
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Sheffield
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Glasgow
- Wildlife Fundraiser x2 - RSPB Loch Garten Nature Reserve (Seasonal Contract)
- Curlew Monitoring Officer x 2 – Upper Lough Erne
- Part-Time Car Park Attendant x4 (Fixed-Term)
- Area Manager (East Midlands)
- Education, Families & Youth Officer - Scotland based - Hybrid (Part-Time)
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Tonbridge Area
- Wildlife Fundraiser - North London
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Isle of Wight
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Cheltenham
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Falmouth
- Test Team Lead
- Senior Conservation Scientist - Flexible in UK
- Beach Nesting Bird Project Officer - (fixed term)
- Learning and Visitor Assistant x2 (Part time & Fixed term - March to October)
- Senior Policy Officer - Bioenergy and BECCS - Fixed Term
- Glenwherry Curlew Initiative Monitoring Officer (RSPB Northern Ireland)
- Project Officer - Stone-Curlew (Fixed-Term)
- Government Affairs Manager
- Part-Time Learning Assistant (Fixed-Term)
- Catering Assistant - Loch Leven - Variable Hours Available
- Part-Time Catering Assistants (Variable Hours)