We have an exciting opportunity to join our Aire Valley team and deliver amazing experiences for visitors. If you're a team player with excellent people skills combined with a passion for connecting people with nature, we'd love to hear from you!
About the Aire Valley
The Aire Valley is home to two of our most important sites in Northern England, RSPB Fairburn Ings and RSPB St Aidan's. These two former industrial sites are less than half an hour from Leeds and boast some of the most inspiring wildlife scenes in Yorkshire. Both are ecologically important landscapes that provide essential habitat for a number of rare species and showcase our large-scale habitat conservation work to a diverse and growing audience of many thousands each year.
About the role
Working at RSPB Fairburn Ings Nature Reserve and RSPB St Aidan's Nature Park, you'll be providing a unique and fascinating visitor experience inspiring our visitors to support nature conservation now and in the future. This role is fundamental in ensuring we have the highest quality of visitor experience for both new and existing audiences.
You will be working with the Visitor Experience Manager and volunteers to ensure a coherent visitor offer is delivered whilst also liaising with the HQ team to ensure the highest quality of RSPB visitor experience.
The ideal candidate will have strong communication skills, proven experience at delivering events and a high standard of visitor experience - if that's you we'd love to hear from you!
Essential skills, knowledge and experience:
- Computer literate to include professional use of social media to adhere to brand requirements.
- Working knowledge of visitor engagement techniques.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to plan and prioritise workloads.
- A team player who can motivate and inspire people.
- Problem solving skills and ability to work on own initiative.
- Ability to manage and respond to customer needs and feedback.
- Ability to maximise opportunities for visitor engagement and income generation.
- Able to build and maintain strong working relationships.
Desirable skills, knowledge and experience:
- Experience of managing and delivering against targets and KPI’s.
- Experience of analysing and interpreting data in a visitor experience environment.
- Successful experience of managing or supporting a team of staff and/or volunteers.
- Having contributed to a successful visitor project or visitor attraction.
- Tourism or leisure related qualification, ideally at HND level or equivalent.
- Working knowledge of Equal Opportunities and Diversity.
- Health & Safety in the workplace.
This is a Permanent role for 37.5 hours per week.
We are looking to conduct interviews for this position from 12 December 2022. For further information please contact Teresa.email@example.com.
As part of this application process, you will be asked to provide a copy of your CV and complete an application form including evidence on how you meet the skills, knowledge, and experience listed above.
The RSPB is an equal opportunities employer. This role is covered by the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974.
Before applying for this role, we recommend reading through the candidate guidance notes attached to the top of this advert.
The FlexScore® is the result of a rigorous 2-step verification of a company’s flexibility
First we assess the flexibility options RSPB provides and then we anonymously survey a statistically significant proportion of their employees to make sure RSPB is as flexible as they say they are. Our assessment is based on the six key elements of flexibility: location, hours, autonomy, benefits, role modelling and work-life balance.
We ask the hard questions so you don’t have to.
Working at RSPB
Gender diversity (male:female)
Across all 4 UK Countries
What employees are saying
I feel the RSPB is very flexible and this is reflected through the Line Management chain - I know I have the flexibility on a daily basis to start early / finish late, if something crops up at home - I am very satisfied :)
More roles at RSPB
- Conservation Scientist (Social Sciences) - (Fixed Term)
- Warden - Eastern Solent Reserves
- Assistant Monitoring Officer (ELP) - (Fixed-Term)
- Organisational Development Adviser - Flexible in UK/Hybrid
- Learning and Development Adviser x2 - Part-Time & Full-Time (Flexible in UK/Hybrid)
- Cairngorms Connect Communications Officer - (Fixed Term)
- Seasonal Assistant Warden - Wallasea Island (Fixed-Term)
- Trapper (Fixed-Term) - Orkney Native Wildlife Project
- Seasonal Field Officer - Plovers in Peril (Fixed Term)
- Visitor Experience Officer (x 4) RSPB Rathlin Island - Northern Ireland
- Assistant Catering Manager
- Assistant Warden x2 (Fixed-Term)
- Assistant Warden x2 - Eastern Solent Reserves
- Communications Officer - Orkney Native Wildlife Project – Kirkwall Office
- 2 x Part-Time Cleaners - (14.5 hours M to F and 5 hours at weekends)
- Conservation Data Officer (Fixed-Term)
- Senior Systems Engineer
- Seabird & Marine Policy Officer (Senior)
- 5 x Centre Assistants - Bempton Cliffs (6 months Fixed-Term, Variable Hours Avail)
- Project Officer - Species on the Edge - Orkney (Fixed Term)
- Visitor Operations Manager - Devon, Exe Estuary (30 hours p/w)
- Head of Communications & Marketing (Wales - RSPB Cymru - HQ )
- Assistant Warden - North West Norfolk Reserves (Fixed-Term)
- Curlew LIFE Project Officer (Fixed-Term)
- Turtle Dove Conservation Advisor (South-East England)
- Digital Technology - Senior Delivery Manager ( x2 roles )
- Digital PMO Manager - Fully remote
- Humber Beach Nesting Birds Project Officer - Fixed Term
- Assistant Warden Ramsey Island - Wales
- Head of Fundraising Campaign Planning (Flexible in UK - Hybrid-WFH)
- Board Administration Coordinator - Flexible in England (WFH Option)
- Direct Marketing Manager - (Flexible in UK - Hybrid/WFH)
- Programme Manager - Membership Recruitment and Retention (Flexible in UK - Hybrid/WFH)
- Membership Marketing and Retention Manager (Flexible in UK - Hybrid/WFH)
- Project Coordinator - Eurasian Curlew (Fixed-Term)
- Food and Beverage Assistant Manager
- Food and Beverage Supervisor
- Administrator - RSPB Geltsdale Nature Reserve (Part-Time)
- Junior Interaction Developer
- Junior Developer - Flexible in UK
- Conservation Officer - Lough Neagh (Fixed-Term)
- Endangered Landscapes Programme Manager - Cumbria (Fixed-Term)
- Community Connections and Volunteer Manager - Lough Erne Landscape Partnership (HYBRID-WFH)
- Warden, Sunart Reserves Glenborrodale
- Part-Time Catering Assistants (Variable Hours)