We're looking for a team player with excellent people skills combined with a passion for connecting people with nature. Working at RSPB Rainham Marshes nature reserve, you'll be providing a unique and fascinating visitor experience inspiring our visitors to support nature conservation now and in the future. This role is fundamental in ensuring we have the highest quality of visitor experience for both new and existing audiences.
About Rainham Marshes
A short journey from the bustling streets of London, Rainham Marshes is an internationally important home for wildlife. We welcome up to 80,000 visitors each year of all ages and backgrounds to the reserve, whether for school visits, guided walks, nature activities, or simply for a walk and a visit to the café. With four public hides, 2.4 miles of visitor trails, and an award-winning visitor centre, there is a lot on offer at Rainham Marshes. We want to keep expanding on this offer, growing our position as a destination wild space and a hub for the diverse communities of South Essex and East London.
You will be leading the Visitor Experience Officer and volunteers to design and deliver a coherent visitor offer, whilst also working with the HQ team to ensure the highest quality of the RSPB visitor experience.
The ideal candidates will have strong communication skills, and proven experience in planning events strategies and delivering a high standard of the visitor experience - if that's you we'd love to hear from you!
What we need from you
- Computer literate to include professional use of social media to adhere to brand requirements.
- Good working knowledge of visitor engagement techniques.
- Successful experience of managing or supporting a team of staff and/or volunteers.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to plan and prioritise workloads.
- A team player who can motivate and inspire people.
- Problem solving skills and ability to work on own initiative.
- Ability to manage and respond to customer needs and feedback.
- Ability to maximise opportunities for visitor engagement and income generation.
- Able to build and maintain strong working relationships.
- Experience of managing and delivering against targets and KPI’s.
- Experience of analysing and interpreting data in a visitor experience environment.
- Having contributed to a successful visitor project or visitor attraction.
- Tourism or leisure related qualification, ideally at HND level or equivalent.
- Working knowledge of Equal Opportunities and Diversity.
- Health & Safety in the workplace.
This is a Permanent role for 37.5 hours per week.
We are looking to conduct interviews for this position from 9th February 2023. For further information please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
As part of this application process, you will be asked to provide a copy of your CV and complete an application form including evidence of how you meet the skills, knowledge, and experience listed above.
The RSPB is an equal opportunities employer. This role is covered by the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974.
Before applying for this role, we recommend reading through the candidate guidance notes attached to the top of this advert.
The FlexScore® is the result of a rigorous 2-step verification of a company’s flexibility
First we assess the flexibility options RSPB provides and then we anonymously survey a statistically significant proportion of their employees to make sure RSPB is as flexible as they say they are. Our assessment is based on the six key elements of flexibility: location, hours, autonomy, benefits, role modelling and work-life balance.
We ask the hard questions so you don’t have to.
Working at RSPB
Gender diversity (male:female)
Across all 4 UK Countries
What employees are saying
I feel the RSPB is very flexible and this is reflected through the Line Management chain - I know I have the flexibility on a daily basis to start early / finish late, if something crops up at home - I am very satisfied :)
More roles at RSPB
- Senior Rural Surveyor, Wareham Arc Recovery Project
- Senior Project Manager - LIFE 100% Favourable (Fixed-Term)
- Bird Surveyor at Powharnal
- Estate Worker
- Rural Surveyor. Flexible Central and Eastern England
- Carbon Farming Project Manager - (Fixed-Term)
- Digital PMO Manager - Fully remote
- Part Time - Centre Assistant - Fixed Term
- Legacy Team Executive - RSPB UKHQ - The Lodge
- New to Nature Placement - Assistant Warden. Apply via Survey Monkey link.
- Part-Time - Cleaner
- Part-Time Retail Assistant
- Visitor Experience Manager
- Volunteer Engagement Manager
- Community Fundraising Manager - Scotland (Part-Time)
- Assistant Warden (Seasonal) Anglesey Terns SPA (4 posts)
- Senior Conservation Officer
- Head of Sustainable Land Use Policy - England
- Fundraising Manager - Scotland
- Part Time - Catering Assistant - (Fixed Term)
- Part-Time Catering Assistant x 2 (Fixed-Term)
- Senior Financial Accountant
- Assistant Catering Manager
- Curlew Monitoring Officer - (Fixed term)
- Head of Marine Policy
- Campaigns Developer - Flexible in UK
- Curlew Life Research Assistant (Technical) - RSPB Northern Ireland
- New to Nature Placement - Community and Visitor Engagement Assistant - Apply via Survey Monkey Link
- New to Nature Placement - Access to Nature Project Assistant. Apply via Survey Monkey link.
- Head of Policy & Advocacy - England
- Part-Time Cleaner x 2
- Project Manager - (Frampton Marsh)
- Nature Protection Policy Officer (Fixed-Term)
- Part Time - Learning Assistant - (Fixed term)
- Curlew LIFE Research Assistant (RSPB Northern Ireland)
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Bedford Area
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Luton Area
- Centre Assistant - variable hours - (Fixed Term)
- 2 x Senior Administrator - (Fixed Term)
- Employee Relations Adviser - x3 (Part-Time & Full-Time roles available)
- Research Assistants x2 - Twite Recovery Project
- PT or FT - Senior Project Manager – Nature Positive Biodiversity Gain in Scotland (Fixed Term)
- Assistant Warden - (Fixed Term)
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Telford
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Chester
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Driffield - Flexible within East Yorks.
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Sheffield
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Glasgow
- Wildlife Fundraiser x2 - RSPB Loch Garten Nature Reserve (Seasonal Contract)
- Curlew Monitoring Officer x 2 – Upper Lough Erne
- Part-Time Car Park Attendant x4 (Fixed-Term)
- Area Manager (East Midlands)
- Education, Families & Youth Officer - Scotland based - Hybrid (Part-Time)
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Tonbridge Area
- Wildlife Fundraiser - North London
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Isle of Wight
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Cheltenham
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Falmouth
- Rheolwr Cyfathrebu / Communications Manager
- Test Team Lead
- Senior Conservation Scientist - Flexible in UK
- Beach Nesting Bird Project Officer - (fixed term)
- Learning and Visitor Assistant x2 (Part time & Fixed term - March to October)
- Senior Policy Officer - Bioenergy and BECCS - Fixed Term
- Part-Time Cleaner
- Glenwherry Curlew Initiative Monitoring Officer (RSPB Northern Ireland)
- Moorland Warden - (Fixed Term)
- Dundee Project Manager - (Fixed Term - Possible Secondment Opportunity)
- Assistant Warden - Cumbria Coast Reserves
- Conservation Officer - Lough Neagh (Fixed-Term)
- Project Officer - Stone-Curlew (Fixed-Term)
- Government Affairs Manager
- Health, Safety & Environment Advisor - Central England
- Part-Time Learning Assistant (Fixed-Term)
- Part-Time Finance Officer - Orkney Native Wildlife Project (Fixed-Term)
- Catering Assistant - Loch Leven - Variable Hours Available
- Learning and Visitor Assistant - RSPB Saltholme (Part-Time)
- Senior Beach Warden (Fixed-Term)
- Part-Time Catering Assistants (Variable Hours)
- Site Maintenance Assistant
- Senior Systems Engineer