3–4 days per week at home
Fully flexible hours
The Global Land Department is seeking a new Technical Adviser for Cocoa Agribusiness based in the Gola Rainforest Headquarters, Kenema, Sierra Leone. Reporting to RSPB Sierra Leone Manager for pastoral care, and technically to the Head of SF&CE (Sustainable Financing and Conservation Enterprise) based in the UK on project delivery.
- In cooperation with the Head of GRC, Sierra Leone Country Manager and the Head of SF&CE, to support the GRC Cocoa Business Team and the Farmers Associations/ Cooperatives to provide overall management and oversight of the farmer-led cocoa agribusiness in the Gola landscape in Sierra Leone
- Deliver on the milestones and targets of the Partnerships for Forests Project on Upscaling Gola Forest-friendly Cocoa Business, and oversee the implementation of project activities
- Compile information and data on the Gola forest-friendly cocoa agribusiness for project reporting
- Together with the SF&CE Unit, provide leadership for the cocoa programme with GRC and the Farmers Associations/ Cooperatives to result in a successful farmer-led forest-friendly cocoa business in Gola Sierra Leone
- To support the information exchange to facilitate a Gola landscape approach through linking the work in Sierra Leone to the work in Liberia, and find opportunity to promote the development of the Gola forest-friendly cocoa brand
- To create opportunities to scope and trial the development of new value chains for cocoa, small enterprises and services related to cocoa, led, and delivered by members of Gola chiefdoms, for local, regional, and international markets
- To help develop a Gola brand as a hub for forest-friendly cocoa and other commodities
Essential skills, knowledge and experience:
- Educated to at least degree level in relevant discipline (Enterprise or Rural Development, Agriculture, Business), or equivalent experience
- At least 5 years working in small-holder farmer commodity supply chains, especially in terms of exporting to international markets, and preferably in cocoa
- Understanding of and experience in the steps needed to set up a farmer-led business
- Proven ability to manage donor grants including budgets, workplans and reporting
- Good communication skills (written and verbal), and ability to form good relationships with a wide variety of stakeholders
- Ability to work in small team, and live in Kenema in Sierra Leone, with basic level of facilities
- Adaptable and flexible in approach to work
- Self-motivated, willing to work at times with limited supervision
- Experience in developing businesses related to cocoa/ commodities
- Experience of work in West Africa desired
The benefits package for this role includes accommodation, flights, and travel insurance. Please see attached document for additional, role-specific information.
This is a Fixed-Term, Full-Time role for 1 year. The RSPB reserves the right to extend or make this role permanent without further advertising dependent on business needs at the end of the contract term.
We are looking to conduct interviews for this position from 26th September 2022. For further information please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
The RSPB is an equal opportunities employer. This role is covered by the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974.
Before applying for this role, we recommend reading through the candidate guidance notes attached to the top of this advert.