RSPB Scotland recently secured funding from a variety of partners to explore how it might deliver a ‘gold standard’ ethical investment model for biodiversity enhancement in Scotland.
We need a Project Manager who can take us on the first part of the journey so that, in time, we may be able to offer biodiversity credits to what will be a new market, potentially comparable to the emerging climate / carbon credits market.
Whether RSPB ultimately gets involved or not, we want to shape the market so that nature is the principal beneficiary.
What's the role about?
The nature crisis is increasingly recognised as being comparable to the climate crisis. Scotland’s recently published Revised Draft National Planning Framework 4 explicitly recognises that there are dual crises, and will introduce a requirement for development to contribute to the enhancement of biodiversity. Along with other legislative and fiscal initiatives to protect and boost nature, this is likely to result in significant private investment into nature conservation and biodiversity enhancement.
This job will seek to take advantage of the growing acknowledgment of the nature crisis by leading the development of a model for private finance investment in enhancing biodiversity, primarily on behalf of the RSPB, but which can be transferable to other ENGOs.
The RSPB owns and / or manages 77,000 hectares of land in Scotland, so there are plenty of opportunities to invest in helping nature to recover. Prioritising investment is likely to be part of the challenge and, looking to the future, there will be a need to positively influence the market for biodiversity credits, so that nature continues to benefit over the long term, rather than speculators who might trade those credits.
The job will largely involve working with internal colleagues to determine how best to go about offering opportunities for private investment in biodiversity enhancement, and would suit someone who is comfortable working to deliver practical initiatives in rapidly changing and sometimes uncertain contexts and circumstances.
Essential skills, knowledge and experience:
- Good communication skills, ability to quickly develop and sustain positive working relationships with internal and external colleagues and partners to achieve beneficial outcomes.
- Ability to adapt to changing circumstances and capacity to lead without line management.
- Confident and persuasive when working in uncertain policy environments and with a range of people.
- Ability to quickly assimilate information, understand and take opportunities, and to take the initiative.
- Ability to see the big picture, and to cut through but at the same time understand and appreciate the detail.
- Creative thinker, able to find innovative solutions to problems.
- Good written, verbal, and presentation skills, including report writing.
- Understanding of the practical and policy challenges inherent in delivering biodiversity enhancements.
- Time management and organisational skills.
- Competent IT user (e.g. Word, Outlook, Excel, etc).
Desirable skills, knowledge and experience:
- Experience of working to a standard project management approach, e.g. RSPB Project Management Framework, Prince II.
- Appreciation of what constitutes ethical investment.
- Appreciation of private finance investment models and mechanisms.
- Experience of working with and giving direction to contractors.
- Experience of organising and facilitating meetings and discussions, including with community organisations and social enterprises.
- Experience of delivering projects.
This role is available as a Fixed-Term contract for 12-14 months, or as a secondment for 12-14 months. The job can be done full-time or part-time, with flexible hours being available for the right candidate. The job can be done from anywhere in the UK, but there is likely to be a need to be in Edinburgh on an ad hoc but, potentially, reasonably recurrent basis.
The RSPB reserves the right to extend or make this role permanent without further advertising dependent on business needs at the end of the contract term.
We are looking to conduct interviews for this position from Monday 13th February 2023. For further information please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
As part of this application you will be asked to provide a copy of your CV and complete a short form. If you wish to provide a cover letter with your application, please include this at the end of your CV document upload.
The RSPB is an equal opportunities employer. This role is covered by the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974.
Before applying for this role, we recommend reading through the candidate guidance notes attached to the top of this advert.
The FlexScore® is the result of a rigorous 2-step verification of a company’s flexibility
First we assess the flexibility options RSPB provides and then we anonymously survey a statistically significant proportion of their employees to make sure RSPB is as flexible as they say they are. Our assessment is based on the six key elements of flexibility: location, hours, autonomy, benefits, role modelling and work-life balance.
We ask the hard questions so you don’t have to.
Working at RSPB
Gender diversity (male:female)
Across all 4 UK Countries
What employees are saying
I feel the RSPB is very flexible and this is reflected through the Line Management chain - I know I have the flexibility on a daily basis to start early / finish late, if something crops up at home - I am very satisfied :)
More roles at RSPB
- Carbon Farming Project Manager - (Fixed-Term)
- Digital PMO Manager - Fully remote
- Part Time - Centre Assistant - Fixed Term
- Legacy Team Executive - RSPB UKHQ - The Lodge
- New to Nature Placement - Assistant Warden. Apply via Survey Monkey link.
- Part-Time - Cleaner
- Part-Time Retail Assistant
- Visitor Experience Manager
- Volunteer Engagement Manager
- Community Fundraising Manager - Scotland (Part-Time)
- Assistant Warden (Seasonal) Anglesey Terns SPA (4 posts)
- Senior Conservation Officer
- Head of Sustainable Land Use Policy - England
- Fundraising Manager - Scotland
- Part Time - Catering Assistant - (Fixed Term)
- Part-Time Catering Assistant x 2 (Fixed-Term)
- Senior Financial Accountant
- Assistant Catering Manager
- Curlew Monitoring Officer - (Fixed term)
- Head of Marine Policy
- Campaigns Developer - Flexible in UK
- Curlew Life Research Assistant (Technical) - RSPB Northern Ireland
- New to Nature Placement - Community and Visitor Engagement Assistant - Apply via Survey Monkey Link
- New to Nature Placement - Access to Nature Project Assistant. Apply via Survey Monkey link.
- Head of Policy & Advocacy - England
- Part-Time Cleaner x 2
- Project Manager - (Frampton Marsh)
- Nature Protection Policy Officer (Fixed-Term)
- Part Time - Learning Assistant - (Fixed term)
- Curlew LIFE Research Assistant (RSPB Northern Ireland)
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Bedford Area
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Luton Area
- Centre Assistant - variable hours - (Fixed Term)
- 2 x Senior Administrator - (Fixed Term)
- Employee Relations Adviser - x3 (Part-Time & Full-Time roles available)
- Research Assistants x2 - Twite Recovery Project
- Assistant Warden - (Fixed Term)
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Telford
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Chester
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Driffield - Flexible within East Yorks.
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Sheffield
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Glasgow
- Wildlife Fundraiser x2 - RSPB Loch Garten Nature Reserve (Seasonal Contract)
- Curlew Monitoring Officer x 2 – Upper Lough Erne
- Part-Time Car Park Attendant x4 (Fixed-Term)
- Area Manager (East Midlands)
- Education, Families & Youth Officer - Scotland based - Hybrid (Part-Time)
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Tonbridge Area
- Wildlife Fundraiser - North London
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Isle of Wight
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Cheltenham
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Falmouth
- Rheolwr Cyfathrebu / Communications Manager
- Test Team Lead
- Warden (Farnham Heath)
- Project Manager - Corncrake Calling - (fixed-term)
- Senior Conservation Scientist - Flexible in UK
- Beach Nesting Bird Project Officer - (fixed term)
- Learning and Visitor Assistant x2 (Part time & Fixed term - March to October)
- Senior Policy Officer - Bioenergy and BECCS - Fixed Term
- Part-Time Cleaner
- Glenwherry Curlew Initiative Monitoring Officer (RSPB Northern Ireland)
- Moorland Warden - (Fixed Term)
- Dundee Project Manager - (Fixed Term - Possible Secondment Opportunity)
- Assistant Warden - Cumbria Coast Reserves
- Conservation Officer - Lough Neagh (Fixed-Term)
- Food & Beverage Business Support Executive
- Project Officer - Stone-Curlew (Fixed-Term)
- Visitor Experience Manager - Rainham Marshes
- Government Affairs Manager
- Health, Safety & Environment Advisor - Central England
- Part-Time Learning Assistant (Fixed-Term)
- Part-Time Finance Officer - Orkney Native Wildlife Project (Fixed-Term)
- Catering Assistant - Loch Leven - Variable Hours Available
- Learning and Visitor Assistant - RSPB Saltholme (Part-Time)
- Senior Programme Manager (RSPB Estate)
- Senior Beach Warden (Fixed-Term)
- Head of UK Overseas Territories Programme
- Visitor Experience Officer (Fixed-Term)
- Peatland Project Manager - Shetlands (Fixed-Term)
- Part-Time Catering Assistants (Variable Hours)
- Site Maintenance Assistant
- Seabird Research Assistant - Bempton Cliffs
- Assistant Warden - Shetland Office
- Learning Officer - RSPB Scotland - Orkney (Part-Time)
- Project Officer - England Twite Recovery Project - (Fixed Term)
- Learning Officer- Orkney Native Wildlife Project – Kirkwall Office (Part-Time)
- Senior Systems Engineer