This exciting new role within our Islay reserve team, managed by the Peatland Project Manager Argyll Island reserves, will deliver the implementation of large-scale peatland restoration projects at the RSPB's nature reserves of the Oa and Loch Gruinart, both situated on the Island of Islay in the beautiful Argyll Islands, as well as projects on other islands and mainland sites. This is a full-time, fixed-term contract for 3 years.
What's the role about?
This exciting new role within our Islay area reserve team, managed by the Peatland Project Manager Argyll Islands reserves, will deliver the implementation of large-scale peatland restoration projects at the RSPB’s nature reserves at the Oa and Loch Gruinart, both situated on the Island of Islay in the beautiful Argyll Islands, as well as projects on other islands and mainland sites. Peatland restoration work is an important part of RSPB’s conservation management objectives.
The RSPB Islay reserves are complex sites delivering conservation within a wide range of habitats for a number of key species. The reserves are actively farmed by RSPB to enable the creation and management of important habitats. Within the 4598Ha of the reserve network, there is a large area of peatland habitat.
The main peatland areas for restoration are within the boundaries of the RSPB’s Oa and Loch Gruinart reserves in the South and North of Islay. Other sites within the Islay and Argyll reserve network will also be included in restoration. The work is both novel and sensitive and falls within a very varied landscape.
This role will cover a range of outdoor activities including mapping and ground truthing potential work, measuring and marking out restoration features for work ahead of the digger contractors, managing contractors, completing vegetation and protected species surveys, peat depth measurements, and post restoration monitoring. This post will also assist the Project Manager with funding applications, planning applications and consents. It will also be important to meet essential report deadlines and satisfy our funding obligations. Much of this work will take place in remote moorland terrain and at times in harsh weather conditions.
This role will help enable the physical delivery of peatland restoration, translating green finance mechanisms into reality and helping to address issues facing the climate and biodiversity.
The post will be based at the Islay office on the RSPB’s Loch Gruinart nature reserve, and will require regular (more than weekly, occasionally daily) site visits during some project phases, but some working from home will be possible at other times.
What we need from you
• Knowledge of peatland habitats to enable credibility in the role.
• Knowledge of delivery mechanisms for peatland conservation work e.g Peatland Action Fund.
• Organisational skills e.g. maintenance and analysis of datasets, and managing conflicting priorities.
• Ability to work effectively as a team player both internally and externally.
• Effective communication skills (verbal, written and presentational) – including an ability to speak confidently to a variety of audiences.
• Experience of working to survey, protect and/or manage important sites or habitats.
• A high level of fitness and ability to confidently and safely access and work in remote upland areas, which can be inaccessible to vehicles, in challenging terrain and adverse weather conditions
• Ability to be self-motivated and work efficiently within a defined workplan.
• Ability to use Microsoft Office apps and experience of GIS for mapping.
• Ability to rapidly analyse significant quantities of information, priorities and balance a diverse workload often to tight deadlines.
• Knowledge of wildlife and habitats of the operational area of this role.
This is a Fixed-Term/ Full-Time role for 37.5 hours per week.
The RSPB reserves the right to extend or make this role permanent without further advertising dependent on business needs at the end of the contract term.
We are looking to conduct interviews for this position from 16/01/2023. For further information please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
As part of this application process, you will be asked to complete an application form including evidence of how you meet the skills, knowledge, and experience listed above.
This role is not eligible for UK Visa Sponsorship – the successful applicant will need to have pre-existing Right to Work in the UK in order to be offered an employment contract.
The RSPB is an equal opportunities employer. This role is covered by the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974.
Before applying for this role, we recommend reading through the candidate guidance notes attached to the top of this advert.
The FlexScore® is the result of a rigorous 2-step verification of a company’s flexibility
First we assess the flexibility options RSPB provides and then we anonymously survey a statistically significant proportion of their employees to make sure RSPB is as flexible as they say they are. Our assessment is based on the six key elements of flexibility: location, hours, autonomy, benefits, role modelling and work-life balance.
We ask the hard questions so you don’t have to.
Working at RSPB
Gender diversity (male:female)
Across all 4 UK Countries
What employees are saying
I feel the RSPB is very flexible and this is reflected through the Line Management chain - I know I have the flexibility on a daily basis to start early / finish late, if something crops up at home - I am very satisfied :)
More roles at RSPB
- Part-Time Catering Assistant
- Visitor Experience Officer at RSPB Pulborough Brooks
- Environmental Advisor
- Digital Technology - Senior Delivery Manager
- Café Assistants x2 (Full-Time & Part-Time)
- Community Development Manager
- Estate Worker (Fixed Term)
- Social Media Assistant / Cynorthwyydd Cyfryngau Cymdeithasol
- Conservation Officer - The Wash and North Norfolk Coast
- Estate Worker - Carnforth
- Senior Rural Surveyor, Wareham Arc Recovery Project
- Senior Project Manager - LIFE 100% Favourable (Fixed-Term)
- Bird Surveyor at Powharnal
- Estate Worker
- Rural Surveyor. Flexible Central and Eastern England
- Carbon Farming Project Manager - (Fixed-Term)
- Part Time - Centre Assistant - Fixed Term
- Legacy Team Executive - RSPB UKHQ - The Lodge
- New to Nature Placement - Assistant Warden. Apply via Survey Monkey link.
- Part-Time - Cleaner
- Part-Time Retail Assistant
- Visitor Experience Manager
- Volunteer Engagement Manager
- Community Fundraising Manager - Scotland (Part-Time)
- Assistant Warden (Seasonal) Anglesey Terns SPA (4 posts)
- Senior Conservation Officer
- Head of Sustainable Land Use Policy - England
- Fundraising Manager - Scotland
- Part Time - Catering Assistant - (Fixed Term)
- Part-Time Catering Assistant x 2 (Fixed-Term)
- Senior Financial Accountant
- Assistant Catering Manager
- Curlew Monitoring Officer - (Fixed term)
- Head of Marine Policy
- Campaigns Developer - Flexible in UK
- Curlew Life Research Assistant (Technical) - RSPB Northern Ireland
- New to Nature Placement - Community and Visitor Engagement Assistant - Apply via Survey Monkey Link
- New to Nature Placement - Access to Nature Project Assistant. Apply via Survey Monkey link.
- Head of Policy & Advocacy - England
- Project Manager - (Frampton Marsh)
- Nature Protection Policy Officer (Fixed-Term)
- Part Time - Learning Assistant - (Fixed term)
- Curlew LIFE Research Assistant (RSPB Northern Ireland)
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Bedford Area
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Luton Area
- Centre Assistant - variable hours - (Fixed Term)
- 2 x Senior Administrator - (Fixed Term)
- Employee Relations Adviser - x3 (Part-Time & Full-Time roles available)
- Research Assistants x2 - Twite Recovery Project
- PT or FT - Senior Project Manager – Nature Positive Biodiversity Gain in Scotland (Fixed Term)
- Assistant Warden - (Fixed Term)
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Telford
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Chester
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Driffield - Flexible within East Yorks.
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Sheffield
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Glasgow
- Wildlife Fundraiser x2 - RSPB Loch Garten Nature Reserve (Seasonal Contract)
- Curlew Monitoring Officer x 2 – Upper Lough Erne
- Part-Time Car Park Attendant x4 (Fixed-Term)
- Area Manager (East Midlands)
- Education, Families & Youth Officer - Scotland based - Hybrid (Part-Time)
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Tonbridge Area
- Wildlife Fundraiser - North London
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Isle of Wight
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Cheltenham
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Falmouth
- Test Team Lead
- Senior Conservation Scientist - Flexible in UK
- Beach Nesting Bird Project Officer - (fixed term)
- Learning and Visitor Assistant x2 (Part time & Fixed term - March to October)
- Senior Policy Officer - Bioenergy and BECCS - Fixed Term
- Glenwherry Curlew Initiative Monitoring Officer (RSPB Northern Ireland)
- Project Officer - Stone-Curlew (Fixed-Term)
- Government Affairs Manager
- Part-Time Learning Assistant (Fixed-Term)
- Catering Assistant - Loch Leven - Variable Hours Available
- Part-Time Catering Assistants (Variable Hours)