We are looking for an inspiring team member who has experience in catering and who understands the important connections between food and the environment and great customer care at our beautiful Wetlands site. Rainham Marshes is the closest RSPB reserve to London with a visitor centre and café. We welcome visitors from across London, Essex and further afield.
You will need to be available to work during the day, weekends, and Bank Holiday working will also be essential.
Essential skills, knowledge and experience:
- Enthusiastic approach to work,
- High understanding of the principals of food hygiene;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Problem-solving skills and ability to work on own initiative;
- Ability to manage and respond to customer needs and feedback;
- Working in target driven/pressured environment;
- Working on the till, card machine, cashing up;
- Ability to work as part of a team.
Desirable skills, knowledge and experience:
- Experience of working at a café/bar/pub;
- Till operation and payment handling;
- Knowledge of food and food service skills;
- Computer skills.
This is a Fixed-Term Part-Time role for 30 hours per week, for 3 months. The RSPB reserves the right to extend or make this role permanent without further advertising dependent on business needs at the end of the contract term.
We are looking to conduct interviews for this position from 30th November 2022. For further information please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
As part of this application, you will be asked to provide a copy of your CV and complete a short form. If you wish to provide a cover letter with your application, please include this at the end of your CV document upload.
The RSPB is an equal opportunities employer. This role is covered by the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974.
Before applying for this role, we recommend reading through the candidate guidance notes attached to the top of this advert.
The FlexScore® is the result of a rigorous 2-step verification of a company’s flexibility
First we assess the flexibility options RSPB provides and then we anonymously survey a statistically significant proportion of their employees to make sure RSPB is as flexible as they say they are. Our assessment is based on the six key elements of flexibility: location, hours, autonomy, benefits, role modelling and work-life balance.
We ask the hard questions so you don’t have to.
Working at RSPB
Gender diversity (male:female)
Across all 4 UK Countries
What employees are saying
I feel the RSPB is very flexible and this is reflected through the Line Management chain - I know I have the flexibility on a daily basis to start early / finish late, if something crops up at home - I am very satisfied :)
More roles at RSPB
- Islay Reserves Officer (Fixed-Term) - Loch Gruinart
- Campaigns Developer - Flexible in UK
- Video Editor - (Fixed Term)
- Peatland Restoration Field Officer, Argyll Islands
- Learning Officer - RSPB Scotland - Orkney (Part-Time)
- Retail Assistant - RSPB Leighton Moss Nature Reserve (Part-Time)
- Head of Sustainable Land and Climate Policy - Flexible in UK
- Project Officer - England Twite Recovery Project - (Fixed Term)
- Learning Officer- Orkney Native Wildlife Project – Kirkwall Office (Part-Time)
- Part-Time - Estate Worker - (Fixed Term)
- Programme Officer - Flexible in UK
- Cairngorms Connect Communications Officer - (Fixed Term)
- Conservation Scientist (Social Sciences) - (Fixed Term)
- Warden - Eastern Solent Reserves
- Assistant Monitoring Officer (ELP) - (Fixed-Term)
- Organisational Development Adviser - Flexible in UK/Hybrid
- Learning and Development Adviser x2 - Part-Time & Full-Time (Flexible in UK/Hybrid)
- Seasonal Assistant Warden - Wallasea Island (Fixed-Term)
- Trapper (Fixed-Term) - Orkney Native Wildlife Project
- Seasonal Field Officer - Plovers in Peril (Fixed Term)
- Visitor Experience Officer (x 4) RSPB Rathlin Island - Northern Ireland
- Assistant Catering Manager
- Assistant Warden x2 (Fixed-Term)
- Assistant Warden x2 - Eastern Solent Reserves
- Communications Officer - Orkney Native Wildlife Project – Kirkwall Office
- 2 x Part-Time Cleaners - (14.5 hours M to F and 5 hours at weekends)
- Conservation Data Officer (Fixed-Term)
- Senior Systems Engineer
- Seabird & Marine Policy Officer (Senior)
- 5 x Centre Assistants - Bempton Cliffs (6 months Fixed-Term, Variable Hours Avail)
- Project Officer - Species on the Edge - Orkney (Fixed Term)
- Visitor Operations Manager - Devon, Exe Estuary (30 hours p/w)
- Head of Communications & Marketing (Wales - RSPB Cymru - HQ )
- Assistant Warden - North West Norfolk Reserves (Fixed-Term)
- Curlew LIFE Project Officer (Fixed-Term)
- Turtle Dove Conservation Advisor (South-East England)
- Digital Technology - Senior Delivery Manager ( x2 roles )
- Digital PMO Manager - Fully remote
- Humber Beach Nesting Birds Project Officer - Fixed Term
- Head of Fundraising Campaign Planning (Flexible in UK - Hybrid-WFH)
- Board Administration Coordinator - Flexible in England (WFH Option)
- Direct Marketing Manager - (Flexible in UK - Hybrid/WFH)
- Programme Manager - Membership Recruitment and Retention (Flexible in UK - Hybrid/WFH)
- Membership Marketing and Retention Manager (Flexible in UK - Hybrid/WFH)
- Project Coordinator - Eurasian Curlew (Fixed-Term)
- Food and Beverage Assistant Manager
- Administrator - RSPB Geltsdale Nature Reserve (Part-Time)
- Junior Interaction Developer
- Junior Developer - Flexible in UK
- Conservation Officer - Lough Neagh (Fixed-Term)
- Warden, Sunart Reserves Glenborrodale
- Part-Time Catering Assistants (Variable Hours)