*Apply here: www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/NTNPlacementApplication22
Thank you for your interest in this New to Nature placement. New to Nature is an exciting programme of paid work placements in nature-focused roles. This is one of 70 roles that will be created across the UK to encourage young and diverse talent into the Natural Environment sector.
We’re particularly interested in receiving applications from young people (aged 18-25) who are from ethnically diverse backgrounds, who are living with a disability or are from low-income households.
You’ll get paid a good wage from a placement that helps the environment, learn loads of skills to boost your CV, and get access to a Youth Employment Coach to help you plan your future career. There’ll also be opportunities to learn about potential careers in the natural environment, and (should you wish to) connect with the other young people working in New to Nature roles across the country. This is a unique opportunity to try something new, and to take a first step on a career path where you can make a real difference. The natural environment needs you! We hope you will join us on this exciting journey!
About the Role
Engaging with people through our reserves is of critical importance to RSPB NI and being accessible to all is part of our strategy. Working with our Operations and Engagement teams you will help us develop more accessible approaches to our programmes and visitor sites, with particular focus on Belfast Harbour Reserve and Belfast Window on Wildlife (Belfast WOW).
Visitors to Belfast WOW enjoy panoramic views of the Lough and the birds and wildlife which call the reserve home from the comfort of the visitor centre. The visitor centre also offers a community room available for hire, a tea and coffee station and a small kids' corner to keep little ones entertained. Belfast WOW has two hides that offer great views of nature, constructed from shipping containers to tie in with their natural surroundings.
Working at the Belfast WOW visitor centre and with our expert partners you will help us to assess, identify and reduce barriers and improve access to the site, in particular for those living with neuro-diverse needs. You will:
- Experience working within a wildlife-rich visitor centre, outdoors with reserve staff and with our education team connecting young people to nature at Belfast WOW and in the local community Identify improvements to the experience of visiting and volunteering at Belfast WOW visitor's centre and out on the reserve for those living with neurodiverse needs
- Identify improvements to RSPB NI programmes to make them more appropriate for those living with neurodiverse needs / minimise barriers to RSPB environmental programmes for students
- Identify good practice and develop case studies to improve our ways of working
- Identify ways RSPB can support young people living with neurodiverse needs work towards careers in conservation
- Work experience alongside the education team in settings that provide for young people with different neurodiversity needs including autistic spectrum disorders and Asperger's Syndrome
- Working with the community and visitor experience team at Belfast WOW supporting community events and visits to the centre
- Developing recommendations and good practice case studies for adjustment to our programmes and reducing barriers/identifying improvements at Belfast WOW.
- Experience of neurodiversity eg understanding of the challenges and barriers experienced specifically by neurodiverse people
- Excellent knowledge of neurodiversity and an understanding of how thinking differently can impact individuals
- Able to work with individuals and groups
- Able to communicate with others in person and/or in writing
- Able to constructively challenge/question the way things work
- Ability to prioritise and complete work independently
- Ability to make recommendations on improvements in writing or in person
- Ability to assess programmes and experiences and review for barriers
- Competent in the use of Microsoft Office programmes or similar
- A basic knowledge and keen interest in Biology and Geography.
This is a Fixed-Term (12 months) role for 35 hours per week. The RSPB reserves the right to extend or make this role permanent without further advertising dependent on business needs at the end of the contract term.
We expect to conduct interviews in person or by video call the week beginning 13 March 2023.
If you have any questions about the role or interview process please contact us at: email@example.com
You can apply for this placement via the following link: www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/NTNPlacementApplication22
This is hosted by Groundwork UK who will check the suitability of applicants, before passing the application on to the placement organisation, who will shortlist applicants for an informal interview process.
Please ensure you carefully select the correct role from the drop-down list, to ensure your details are passed to the correct placement organisation.
If you have any questions about the application form, contact Groundwork UK at: firstname.lastname@example.org
The RSPB is an equal opportunities employer. This role is covered by the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974.
The FlexScore® is the result of a rigorous 2-step verification of a company’s flexibility
First we assess the flexibility options RSPB provides and then we anonymously survey a statistically significant proportion of their employees to make sure RSPB is as flexible as they say they are. Our assessment is based on the six key elements of flexibility: location, hours, autonomy, benefits, role modelling and work-life balance.
We ask the hard questions so you don’t have to.
Working at RSPB
Gender diversity (male:female)
Across all 4 UK Countries
What employees are saying
I feel the RSPB is very flexible and this is reflected through the Line Management chain - I know I have the flexibility on a daily basis to start early / finish late, if something crops up at home - I am very satisfied :)
More roles at RSPB
- Senior Rural Surveyor, Wareham Arc Recovery Project
- Senior Project Manager - LIFE 100% Favourable (Fixed-Term)
- Bird Surveyor at Powharnal
- Estate Worker
- Rural Surveyor. Flexible Central and Eastern England
- Carbon Farming Project Manager - (Fixed-Term)
- Digital PMO Manager - Fully remote
- Part Time - Centre Assistant - Fixed Term
- Legacy Team Executive - RSPB UKHQ - The Lodge
- New to Nature Placement - Assistant Warden. Apply via Survey Monkey link.
- Part-Time - Cleaner
- Part-Time Retail Assistant
- Visitor Experience Manager
- Volunteer Engagement Manager
- Community Fundraising Manager - Scotland (Part-Time)
- Assistant Warden (Seasonal) Anglesey Terns SPA (4 posts)
- Senior Conservation Officer
- Head of Sustainable Land Use Policy - England
- Fundraising Manager - Scotland
- Part Time - Catering Assistant - (Fixed Term)
- Part-Time Catering Assistant x 2 (Fixed-Term)
- Senior Financial Accountant
- Assistant Catering Manager
- Curlew Monitoring Officer - (Fixed term)
- Head of Marine Policy
- Campaigns Developer - Flexible in UK
- Curlew Life Research Assistant (Technical) - RSPB Northern Ireland
- New to Nature Placement - Community and Visitor Engagement Assistant - Apply via Survey Monkey Link
- Head of Policy & Advocacy - England
- Part-Time Cleaner x 2
- Project Manager - (Frampton Marsh)
- Nature Protection Policy Officer (Fixed-Term)
- Part Time - Learning Assistant - (Fixed term)
- Curlew LIFE Research Assistant (RSPB Northern Ireland)
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Bedford Area
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Luton Area
- Centre Assistant - variable hours - (Fixed Term)
- 2 x Senior Administrator - (Fixed Term)
- Employee Relations Adviser - x3 (Part-Time & Full-Time roles available)
- Research Assistants x2 - Twite Recovery Project
- PT or FT - Senior Project Manager – Nature Positive Biodiversity Gain in Scotland (Fixed Term)
- Assistant Warden - (Fixed Term)
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Telford
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Chester
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Driffield - Flexible within East Yorks.
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Sheffield
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Glasgow
- Wildlife Fundraiser x2 - RSPB Loch Garten Nature Reserve (Seasonal Contract)
- Curlew Monitoring Officer x 2 – Upper Lough Erne
- Part-Time Car Park Attendant x4 (Fixed-Term)
- Area Manager (East Midlands)
- Education, Families & Youth Officer - Scotland based - Hybrid (Part-Time)
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Tonbridge Area
- Wildlife Fundraiser - North London
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Isle of Wight
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Cheltenham
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Falmouth
- Rheolwr Cyfathrebu / Communications Manager
- Test Team Lead
- Senior Conservation Scientist - Flexible in UK
- Beach Nesting Bird Project Officer - (fixed term)
- Learning and Visitor Assistant x2 (Part time & Fixed term - March to October)
- Senior Policy Officer - Bioenergy and BECCS - Fixed Term
- Part-Time Cleaner
- Glenwherry Curlew Initiative Monitoring Officer (RSPB Northern Ireland)
- Moorland Warden - (Fixed Term)
- Dundee Project Manager - (Fixed Term - Possible Secondment Opportunity)
- Assistant Warden - Cumbria Coast Reserves
- Conservation Officer - Lough Neagh (Fixed-Term)
- Project Officer - Stone-Curlew (Fixed-Term)
- Government Affairs Manager
- Health, Safety & Environment Advisor - Central England
- Part-Time Learning Assistant (Fixed-Term)
- Part-Time Finance Officer - Orkney Native Wildlife Project (Fixed-Term)
- Catering Assistant - Loch Leven - Variable Hours Available
- Learning and Visitor Assistant - RSPB Saltholme (Part-Time)
- Senior Beach Warden (Fixed-Term)
- Part-Time Catering Assistants (Variable Hours)
- Site Maintenance Assistant
- Senior Systems Engineer