We have an exciting opportunity for a Nature Protection Policy Officer in Northern Ireland, to join our friendly and committed policy and advocacy team at a time of unprecedented challenges and opportunities for environmental protection.
What's the role about?
We are in a critical moment for nature, and the RSPB is campaigning to secure strong commitments to nature's recovery, and in Northern Ireland we will be seeking to secure and influence new legislation to ensure environmental protection is upheld following Brexit. We’re looking for someone who’s professional, passionate, proactive and engaging with a sound knowledge of the policy and legislation for protected areas, species and habitats, relevant UK/NI legislation, and biodiversity/species policy.
You should have the skills and personality to advocate for policy and legislation to champion the change nature needs to decision-makers, professional counterparts and the public, and develop and strengthen NI’s network of protected areas for wildlife to help us ensure that the best places for nature get the protection, management and monitoring that they need.
- Be responsible for site conservation policy in Northern Ireland, focusing on the identification of terrestrial and marine areas that should be protected through international, national and local site protection legislation, advocating their designation at the appropriate level, and the implementation of policies to secure their protection, appropriate management and monitoring.
- Supporting high level advocacy with local government and its statutory agency to influence the development of NI’s approach to protected areas in response to emerging national, UK and global commitments to increase and improve site protection over the next decade. This will include undertaking analysis of the current protected areas network, and standards of protection, monitoring and management, developing RSPB policy and advocating the need for change, and working with colleagues across the four different national legal, policy and political contexts in which the RSPB operates (i.e. in England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales).
- Providing specialist advice in relation to complex casework.
- Providing specialist advice in relation to the interaction of site policy with other key policy areas.
- Working with colleagues ‘on the ground’ to support the delivery of protected areas work both on the RSPB estate and within our Priority Landscapes, and with other policy specialists (including RSPB colleagues and those in partner organisations) to ensure integration of sites policy within our wider work to tackle the nature and climate emergency and to halt and reverse the loss of biodiversity.
- Work closely with Campaigning and Communications team to build public knowledge and support for policy asks.
Essential skills, knowledge and experience:
- Educated to degree level or equivalent, or experience relevant to the role.
- Able to analyse complex issues in a fast paced environment.
- Able to negotiate with and influence others.
- Good written and verbal communication skills e.g. professional, persuasive, engaging, confident.
- Strong time management and organisational skills.
- Able to prioritise effectively.
- Able to manage projects effectively.
- Competent use of Microsoft Office
Desirable skills, knowledge and experience:
- Practical experience of operating in a policy and/or advocacy role.
- An understanding of environment/biodiversity in general and protected areas, species and habitats policy in particular.
- Working understanding of NI/UK/EU/global institutions relevant to environment/biodiversity in general and protected areas, species and habitats policy in particular.
- An understanding of the role of public facing communications/campaigns in supporting policy advocacy.
This is a Fixed-Term, Full-Time role for 37.5 hours per week until December 2024. The RSPB reserves the right to extend or make this role permanent without further advertising dependent on business needs at the end of the contract term.
We are looking to conduct interviews for this position from 21st February 2023. For further information please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
As part of this application process you will be asked to complete an application form including evidence on how you meet the skills, knowledge, and experience listed above.
The RSPB is an equal opportunities employer. This role is covered by the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974.
Before applying for this role, we recommend reading through the candidate guidance notes attached to the top of this advert.
The FlexScore® is the result of a rigorous 2-step verification of a company’s flexibility
First we assess the flexibility options RSPB provides and then we anonymously survey a statistically significant proportion of their employees to make sure RSPB is as flexible as they say they are. Our assessment is based on the six key elements of flexibility: location, hours, autonomy, benefits, role modelling and work-life balance.
We ask the hard questions so you don’t have to.
Working at RSPB
Gender diversity (male:female)
Across all 4 UK Countries
What employees are saying
I feel the RSPB is very flexible and this is reflected through the Line Management chain - I know I have the flexibility on a daily basis to start early / finish late, if something crops up at home - I am very satisfied :)
More roles at RSPB
- Carbon Farming Project Manager - (Fixed-Term)
- Digital PMO Manager - Fully remote
- Part Time - Centre Assistant - Fixed Term
- Legacy Team Executive - RSPB UKHQ - The Lodge
- New to Nature Placement - Assistant Warden. Apply via Survey Monkey link.
- Part-Time - Cleaner
- Part-Time Retail Assistant
- Visitor Experience Manager
- Volunteer Engagement Manager
- Community Fundraising Manager - Scotland (Part-Time)
- Assistant Warden (Seasonal) Anglesey Terns SPA (4 posts)
- Senior Conservation Officer
- Head of Sustainable Land Use Policy - England
- Fundraising Manager - Scotland
- Part Time - Catering Assistant - (Fixed Term)
- Part-Time Catering Assistant x 2 (Fixed-Term)
- Senior Financial Accountant
- Assistant Catering Manager
- Curlew Monitoring Officer - (Fixed term)
- Head of Marine Policy
- Campaigns Developer - Flexible in UK
- Curlew Life Research Assistant (Technical) - RSPB Northern Ireland
- New to Nature Placement - Community and Visitor Engagement Assistant - Apply via Survey Monkey Link
- New to Nature Placement - Access to Nature Project Assistant. Apply via Survey Monkey link.
- Head of Policy & Advocacy - England
- Part-Time Cleaner x 2
- Project Manager - (Frampton Marsh)
- Part Time - Learning Assistant - (Fixed term)
- Curlew LIFE Research Assistant (RSPB Northern Ireland)
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Bedford Area
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Luton Area
- Centre Assistant - variable hours - (Fixed Term)
- 2 x Senior Administrator - (Fixed Term)
- Employee Relations Adviser - x3 (Part-Time & Full-Time roles available)
- Research Assistants x2 - Twite Recovery Project
- PT or FT - Senior Project Manager – Nature Positive Biodiversity Gain in Scotland (Fixed Term)
- Assistant Warden - (Fixed Term)
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Telford
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Chester
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Driffield - Flexible within East Yorks.
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Sheffield
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Glasgow
- Wildlife Fundraiser x2 - RSPB Loch Garten Nature Reserve (Seasonal Contract)
- Curlew Monitoring Officer x 2 – Upper Lough Erne
- Part-Time Car Park Attendant x4 (Fixed-Term)
- Area Manager (East Midlands)
- Education, Families & Youth Officer - Scotland based - Hybrid (Part-Time)
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Tonbridge Area
- Wildlife Fundraiser - North London
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Isle of Wight
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Cheltenham
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Falmouth
- Rheolwr Cyfathrebu / Communications Manager
- Test Team Lead
- Warden (Farnham Heath)
- Project Manager - Corncrake Calling - (fixed-term)
- Senior Conservation Scientist - Flexible in UK
- Beach Nesting Bird Project Officer - (fixed term)
- Learning and Visitor Assistant x2 (Part time & Fixed term - March to October)
- Senior Policy Officer - Bioenergy and BECCS - Fixed Term
- Part-Time Cleaner
- Glenwherry Curlew Initiative Monitoring Officer (RSPB Northern Ireland)
- Moorland Warden - (Fixed Term)
- Dundee Project Manager - (Fixed Term - Possible Secondment Opportunity)
- Assistant Warden - Cumbria Coast Reserves
- Conservation Officer - Lough Neagh (Fixed-Term)
- Food & Beverage Business Support Executive
- Project Officer - Stone-Curlew (Fixed-Term)
- Visitor Experience Manager - Rainham Marshes
- Government Affairs Manager
- Health, Safety & Environment Advisor - Central England
- Part-Time Learning Assistant (Fixed-Term)
- Part-Time Finance Officer - Orkney Native Wildlife Project (Fixed-Term)
- Catering Assistant - Loch Leven - Variable Hours Available
- Learning and Visitor Assistant - RSPB Saltholme (Part-Time)
- Senior Beach Warden (Fixed-Term)
- Visitor Experience Officer (Fixed-Term)
- Peatland Project Manager - Shetlands (Fixed-Term)
- Part-Time Catering Assistants (Variable Hours)
- Site Maintenance Assistant
- Assistant Warden - Shetland Office
- Learning Officer - RSPB Scotland - Orkney (Part-Time)
- Project Officer - England Twite Recovery Project - (Fixed Term)
- Learning Officer- Orkney Native Wildlife Project – Kirkwall Office (Part-Time)
- Senior Systems Engineer