As part of the RSPB’s 2030 strategy, we need to inspire many more, and more diverse people to take action for nature. Membership is the RSPB’s flagship product, contributing c.£35m per year across recruitment, retention, upgrade and life fellows activity. However, we need to further stretch this product to reach new audiences and increase our relevance outside of our existing membership base.
The Membership Marketing and Retention Manager (reporting to the Head of Membership) is expected to trial new ways of recruiting and retaining members, ensure our systems and processes to manage this product are as efficient as possible, and continually review our membership proposition and product to inspire a wider audience to connect with the RSPB and offer their financial support.
This role will be expected to build exceptional relationships with Supporter Experience and Digital teams, to co-create new offers, enhance the membership experience and collaboratively achieve the RSPB’s overall membership targets. There will also be specific responsibility to manage the Membership Marketing and Retention team’s budget and achieve financial targets.
This is an incredibly exciting opportunity to join the UK's largest nature conservation charity. Nature is in crisis, but together we can save it.
Key activities will include:
- Lead the RSPB’s membership marketing and retention team to achieve agreed financial and development targets
- Ensure the ongoing high performance of our existing membership product
- Regularly review the joining process and ongoing membership journey, recommending and introducing improvements where needed, in partnership with other delivery teams
- Innovate and develop the RSPB’s membership offer to recruit new priority audiences, through co-creation and collaboration with other teams and stakeholders
- Set and monitor annual KPIs and income targets
- Overall responsibility for ensuring fundraising and regulatory compliance across the RSPB’s membership marketing and retention programme
- Ensure strong collaboration with Digital and Engagement teams to deliver a seamless membership recruitment and retention experience across all channels
- Maximise ROI and retention via upgrade and reactivation programmes
- Develop, monitor and manage team and projects budgets so that financial targets (income/expenditure) are met
Essential skills, knowledge, and experience:
- Visible, inspiring and effective leadership of teams, engaging and motivating employees
- Knowledge of membership marketing and retention and direct marketing techniques
- Knowledge and understanding of fundraising compliance and best practice
- Ability to influence others, build partnerships and negotiate
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills to present, influence and represent the organisation
- Experience of managing external suppliers
- Proven ability to build excellent cross-team relationships and partnerships
- Proven ability to deliver shared objectives across multiple teams
- Budget management
- Project management skills to plan and manage projects, manage risks, costs, time and project teams.
- Proven ability to lead change
This is a Permanent Full-Time role for 37.5 hours per week.
For further information please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
As part of this application process, you will be asked to provide a copy of your CV and complete an application form including evidence of how you meet the skills, knowledge, and experience listed above.
This role is not eligible for UK Visa Sponsorship – the successful applicant will need to have pre-existing Right to Work in the UK in order to be offered an employment contract.
The RSPB is an equal opportunities employer. This role is covered by the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974.
Before applying for this role, we recommend reading through the candidate guidance notes attached to the top of this advert.
The FlexScore® is the result of a rigorous 2-step verification of a company’s flexibility
First we assess the flexibility options RSPB provides and then we anonymously survey a statistically significant proportion of their employees to make sure RSPB is as flexible as they say they are. Our assessment is based on the six key elements of flexibility: location, hours, autonomy, benefits, role modelling and work-life balance.
We ask the hard questions so you don’t have to.
Working at RSPB
Gender diversity (male:female)
Across all 4 UK Countries
What employees are saying
I feel the RSPB is very flexible and this is reflected through the Line Management chain - I know I have the flexibility on a daily basis to start early / finish late, if something crops up at home - I am very satisfied :)
More roles at RSPB
- Project Officer - Species on the Edge - Orkney (Fixed Term)
- Visitor Operations Manager - Exe Estuary
- Conservation Officer - The Wash & North Norfolk Coast (Fixed-Term)
- Head of Communications & Marketing (Wales - RSPB Cymru - HQ )
- Assistant Warden - North West Norfolk Reserves (Fixed-Term)
- Curlew LIFE Project Officer (Fixed-Term)
- Turtle Dove Conservation Advisor (South-East England)
- Digital Technology - Senior Delivery Manager ( x2 roles )
- Digital PMO Manager - Fully remote
- Humber Beach Nesting Birds Project Officer - Fixed Term
- Assistant Warden Ramsey Island - Wales
- Head of Fundraising Campaign Planning (Flexible in UK - Hybrid-WFH)
- Board Administration Coordinator - Flexible in England (WFH Option)
- Direct Marketing Manager - (Flexible in UK - Hybrid/WFH)
- Programme Manager - Membership Recruitment and Retention (Flexible in UK - Hybrid/WFH)
- Assistant Warden (Fixed-Term) - Northward Hill
- Fundraising Manager - Maternity Leave Contract
- Project Coordinator - Eurasian Curlew (Fixed-Term)
- Food and Beverage Assistant Manager
- Food and Beverage Supervisor
- Administrator - RSPB Geltsdale Nature Reserve (Part-Time)
- Junior Interaction Developer
- Junior Developer - Flexible in UK
- Conservation Officer - Lough Neagh (Fixed-Term)
- Site Maintenance Engineer
- Endangered Landscapes Programme Manager - Cumbria (Fixed-Term)
- Senior Conservation Officer - South Highland (Cairngorms)
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Brentwood Area
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Bury St Edmunds
- Assistant Finance Business Partner - Fixed Term - wfh
- Senior PWA Developer
- Senior Programme Manager - Flexible in England (Hybrid - WFH)
- Visitor Experience Officer
- Community Connections and Volunteer Manager - Lough Erne Landscape Partnership (HYBRID-WFH)
- Membership Venues Officer - RSPB Northern Ireland (Part-Time)
- Warden, Sunart Reserves Glenborrodale
- Part-Time Administrator
- Hydes Heath Project Officer (Fixed-Term)
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Maidstone Area
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Reading
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Southampton
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Swansea
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Oxford
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Derby
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Nottingham
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Liverpool
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Skipton
- Wildlife Fundraiser - York
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Central Cumbria
- Senior Race Equity Specialist (Fixed-Term)
- Senior Site Manager - Forsinard Flows Reserve
- Part-Time Catering Assistants (Variable Hours)
- Casework Officer (12-month Fixed term) - WFH/Hybrid
- Visitor Experience and Interpretation Manager (Fixed-Term) (Hybrid-WFH)
- Visitor Experience and Marketing Manager RSPB England - Flexible in England (Hybrid-WFH)
- Swyddog Natur - Ynys-hir (Gweithio o adre/hybrid) - Nature Officer - Ynys-hir (Home-Based/Hybrid)
- Site Manager – West NI Reserves