If you’re looking for a job where you will be surrounded by nature and natural beauty and have the opportunity to work with a wide range of people then this could be the role for you. Based at RSPB Arne, a stunning nature reserve covering the Arne peninsula in Poole Harbour, Dorset, you will engage with visitors, volunteers, health professionals and partners to deliver the wide-ranging activity programme of our National Lottery Heritage Funded “Protecting Hydes Heath” Project.
As Project Officer, you will be responsible for planning, delivering and evaluating a diverse activity programme aimed at engaging families and young children, young adults, people with health and wellbeing needs and volunteers. You will work to make the reserve more accessible, both physically and digitally.
Key activities will include;
- Planning, delivering and evaluating a programme of activities and events aimed at engaging families, young children, young adults and people with physical and mental health needs
- Planning, delivering and evaluating a shuttle bus service to make RSPB Arne more accessible to those without a car.
- Working with Health Professionals to promote and evaluate green social prescribing
- Managing the project spend within budget
- Reporting to the project funder, National Lottery Heritage Fund, including financial claims and the final project report.
- Working with RSPB Arne staff and volunteers, project partners and health professionals to deliver the activity programme.
- You will have excellent organisational skills to be able to plan, deliver and evaluate a broad range of activities
- A track record of relationship building and working in effective partnership
- Excellent written communication and particularly report-writing skills
- Experience of designing and delivering family activities, planning and/or supervising practical conservation tasks
- Knowledge of and some experience or aptitude for budget management and project evaluation is desirable
Essential skills, knowledge and experience:
- Competent IT user (e.g. MS packages, Outlook etc).
- Skills relevant to the specific aims and objectives of the project.
- An ability to produce clear written communications.
- Excellent problem solving skills and ability to find creative solutions.
- Able to work under pressure and adapt to changing circumstances.
- Report writing
- Working with project teams and stakeholders
- Ability to work well as part of a cross-functional project team
Desirable qualifications, knowledge, skills and experience
- Experience of producing written materials, newsletters and similar project related communications
- Demonstrable experience of developing and working in partnerships to achieve shared outcomes
- Experience of managing volunteers
This is a Fixed-Term, Full-Time role until 31st December 2023. The RSPB reserves the right to extend or make this role permanent without further advertising dependent on business needs at the end of the contract term.
We are looking to conduct interviews for this position from 15th December 2022. For further information please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
As part of this application process you will be asked to complete an application form including evidence on how you meet the skills, knowledge, and experience listed above.
The RSPB is an equal opportunities employer. This role is covered by the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974.
Before applying for this role, we recommend reading through the candidate guidance notes attached to the top of this advert.
The FlexScore® is the result of a rigorous 2-step verification of a company’s flexibility
First we assess the flexibility options RSPB provides and then we anonymously survey a statistically significant proportion of their employees to make sure RSPB is as flexible as they say they are. Our assessment is based on the six key elements of flexibility: location, hours, autonomy, benefits, role modelling and work-life balance.
We ask the hard questions so you don’t have to.
Working at RSPB
Gender diversity (male:female)
Across all 4 UK Countries
What employees are saying
I feel the RSPB is very flexible and this is reflected through the Line Management chain - I know I have the flexibility on a daily basis to start early / finish late, if something crops up at home - I am very satisfied :)
More roles at RSPB
- Seasonal Field Officer - Plovers in Peril (Fixed Term)
- Visitor Experience Officer (x 4) RSPB Rathlin Island - Northern Ireland
- Assistant Catering Manager
- Assistant Warden x2 (Fixed-Term)
- Assistant Warden x2 - Eastern Solent Reserves
- Communications Officer - Orkney Native Wildlife Project – Kirkwall Office
- 2 x Part-Time Cleaners - (14.5 hours M to F and 5 hours at weekends)
- Conservation Data Officer (Fixed-Term)
- Senior Systems Engineer
- Seabird & Marine Policy Officer (Senior)
- 5 x Centre Assistants - Bempton Cliffs (6 months Fixed-Term, Variable Hours Avail)
- Project Officer - Species on the Edge - Orkney (Fixed Term)
- Visitor Operations Manager - Devon, Exe Estuary (30 hours p/w)
- Head of Communications & Marketing (Wales - RSPB Cymru - HQ )
- Assistant Warden - North West Norfolk Reserves (Fixed-Term)
- Curlew LIFE Project Officer (Fixed-Term)
- Turtle Dove Conservation Advisor (South-East England)
- Digital Technology - Senior Delivery Manager ( x2 roles )
- Digital PMO Manager - Fully remote
- Humber Beach Nesting Birds Project Officer - Fixed Term
- Assistant Warden Ramsey Island - Wales
- Head of Fundraising Campaign Planning (Flexible in UK - Hybrid-WFH)
- Board Administration Coordinator - Flexible in England (WFH Option)
- Direct Marketing Manager - (Flexible in UK - Hybrid/WFH)
- Programme Manager - Membership Recruitment and Retention (Flexible in UK - Hybrid/WFH)
- Membership Marketing and Retention Manager (Flexible in UK - Hybrid/WFH)
- Assistant Warden (Fixed-Term) - Northward Hill
- Project Coordinator - Eurasian Curlew (Fixed-Term)
- Food and Beverage Assistant Manager
- Food and Beverage Supervisor
- Administrator - RSPB Geltsdale Nature Reserve (Part-Time)
- Junior Interaction Developer
- Junior Developer - Flexible in UK
- Conservation Officer - Lough Neagh (Fixed-Term)
- Endangered Landscapes Programme Manager - Cumbria (Fixed-Term)
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Brentwood Area
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Bury St Edmunds
- Senior PWA Developer
- Visitor Experience Officer
- Community Connections and Volunteer Manager - Lough Erne Landscape Partnership (HYBRID-WFH)
- Membership Venues Officer - RSPB Northern Ireland (Part-Time)
- Warden, Sunart Reserves Glenborrodale
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Maidstone Area
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Reading
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Southampton
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Swansea
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Oxford
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Derby
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Nottingham
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Liverpool
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Skipton
- Wildlife Fundraiser - York
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Central Cumbria
- Part-Time Catering Assistants (Variable Hours)