Are you an experienced policy advocate, with well developed leadership skills? This is an exciting time to join one of the largest policy and advocacy teams in UK conservation, working as part of a dispersed leadership team to tackle the nature and climate emergency across the UK.
With a focus on sustainable land and climate, you will be accountable for leading a team of UK experts to develop exciting and impactful propositions on the most important issues facing our wildlife, and working with colleagues across the four countries of the UK to develop innovative advocacy and campaigning approaches in the areas of sustainable land and climate policy. With developed skills in leading and developing cross-functional teams, you will play a pivotal role in shaping the RSPB's approach in these areas, at a vital time for our birds and wildlife.
To provide strategic leadership of the RSPB’s work on sustainable land and climate policy; oversight of programme development and delivery to standard, and leading a department of technical policy specialists and agricultural advisors able to provide professional support internally and externally as priorities require.
What we need from you
- Sound understanding of the land use and agriculture of the UK, and the pressures on nature associated with farming and other land and fresh water uses.
- Educated to degree level or relevant high-level experience sufficient to be able to effectively communicate and respond to the complex policy context associated with the sustainable land and climate function.
- Knowledge of the UK and devolved country governance and frameworks affecting nature, through land use and climate change, and their use in public policy making
- Facilitative leadership skills and a demonstrable experience of leading teams without direct line management authority.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills to present, influence and represent the organisation including to the media.
- An innovative, creative thought-leader, able to think clearly and deeply on issues, help others think out of the box to develop new propositions and approaches using analysis of an array of different inputs e.g. scientific evidence, policy & legislation, operational experience and political/social contexts.
- Credible and authoritative advocate with expertise in changing policies for nature
- Demonstrable experience of influencing politics, governments and/or business frameworks at multiple levels and an in-depth understanding influencing tactics and the political context in which change happens
- Substantial and broad experience of leading a professional function and/or large geographically dispersed team to implement strategy
- Experience of developing and leading teams through change – developing new capabilities, skills and ways of working.
- Financial management skills able to manage a budget to meet income and expenditure targets, and support teams to write well costed funding applications and meet funder requirements.
- Sound Programme and Project Management skills, able to create clarity of direction, maintain pace and performance and manage risks across complex programmes where not all the factors are within your control
- Capable team manager with experience of providing direction, leading change, building capability and providing professional & personal development support to their reports.
- Proven leadership and people management skills, able to convene teams, develop individuals and teams for high performance and build a positive collaborative culture.
- Able to develop professional guidance and set ways of working to guide the performance and effective working of teams to meet standards.
- Policy experience in at least three of the following subject areas agriculture, land-use, water, forestry, energy, climate, planning.
This is a Permanent Full-Time role.
We are looking to conduct interviews for this position from 7th February. For further information please contact Jeff.Knott@rspb.org.uk
As part of this application process you will be asked to provide a copy of your CV and complete an application form including evidence on how you meet the skills, knowledge, and experience listed above.
The RSPB is an equal opportunities employer. This role is covered by the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974.
Before applying for this role, we recommend reading through the candidate guidance notes attached to the top of this advert.
The RSPB is a licenced sponsor. This role is eligible for UK Visa Sponsorship.
The FlexScore® is the result of a rigorous 2-step verification of a company’s flexibility
First we assess the flexibility options RSPB provides and then we anonymously survey a statistically significant proportion of their employees to make sure RSPB is as flexible as they say they are. Our assessment is based on the six key elements of flexibility: location, hours, autonomy, benefits, role modelling and work-life balance.
We ask the hard questions so you don’t have to.
Working at RSPB
Gender diversity (male:female)
Across all 4 UK Countries
What employees are saying
I feel the RSPB is very flexible and this is reflected through the Line Management chain - I know I have the flexibility on a daily basis to start early / finish late, if something crops up at home - I am very satisfied :)
More roles at RSPB
- Part-Time Catering Assistant
- Visitor Experience Officer at RSPB Pulborough Brooks
- Environmental Advisor
- Digital Technology - Senior Delivery Manager
- Café Assistants x2 (Full-Time & Part-Time)
- Community Development Manager
- Estate Worker (Fixed Term)
- Social Media Assistant / Cynorthwyydd Cyfryngau Cymdeithasol
- Conservation Officer - The Wash and North Norfolk Coast
- Estate Worker - Carnforth
- Senior Rural Surveyor, Wareham Arc Recovery Project
- Senior Project Manager - LIFE 100% Favourable (Fixed-Term)
- Bird Surveyor at Powharnal
- Estate Worker
- Rural Surveyor. Flexible Central and Eastern England
- Carbon Farming Project Manager - (Fixed-Term)
- Part Time - Centre Assistant - Fixed Term
- Legacy Team Executive - RSPB UKHQ - The Lodge
- New to Nature Placement - Assistant Warden. Apply via Survey Monkey link.
- Part-Time - Cleaner
- Part-Time Retail Assistant
- Visitor Experience Manager
- Volunteer Engagement Manager
- Community Fundraising Manager - Scotland (Part-Time)
- Assistant Warden (Seasonal) Anglesey Terns SPA (4 posts)
- Senior Conservation Officer
- Head of Sustainable Land Use Policy - England
- Fundraising Manager - Scotland
- Part Time - Catering Assistant - (Fixed Term)
- Part-Time Catering Assistant x 2 (Fixed-Term)
- Senior Financial Accountant
- Assistant Catering Manager
- Curlew Monitoring Officer - (Fixed term)
- Head of Marine Policy
- Campaigns Developer - Flexible in UK
- Curlew Life Research Assistant (Technical) - RSPB Northern Ireland
- New to Nature Placement - Community and Visitor Engagement Assistant - Apply via Survey Monkey Link
- New to Nature Placement - Access to Nature Project Assistant. Apply via Survey Monkey link.
- Head of Policy & Advocacy - England
- Project Manager - (Frampton Marsh)
- Nature Protection Policy Officer (Fixed-Term)
- Part Time - Learning Assistant - (Fixed term)
- Curlew LIFE Research Assistant (RSPB Northern Ireland)
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Bedford Area
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Luton Area
- Centre Assistant - variable hours - (Fixed Term)
- 2 x Senior Administrator - (Fixed Term)
- Employee Relations Adviser - x3 (Part-Time & Full-Time roles available)
- Research Assistants x2 - Twite Recovery Project
- PT or FT - Senior Project Manager – Nature Positive Biodiversity Gain in Scotland (Fixed Term)
- Assistant Warden - (Fixed Term)
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Telford
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Chester
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Driffield - Flexible within East Yorks.
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Sheffield
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Glasgow
- Wildlife Fundraiser x2 - RSPB Loch Garten Nature Reserve (Seasonal Contract)
- Curlew Monitoring Officer x 2 – Upper Lough Erne
- Part-Time Car Park Attendant x4 (Fixed-Term)
- Area Manager (East Midlands)
- Education, Families & Youth Officer - Scotland based - Hybrid (Part-Time)
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Tonbridge Area
- Wildlife Fundraiser - North London
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Isle of Wight
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Cheltenham
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Falmouth
- Test Team Lead
- Senior Conservation Scientist - Flexible in UK
- Beach Nesting Bird Project Officer - (fixed term)
- Learning and Visitor Assistant x2 (Part time & Fixed term - March to October)
- Senior Policy Officer - Bioenergy and BECCS - Fixed Term
- Glenwherry Curlew Initiative Monitoring Officer (RSPB Northern Ireland)
- Project Officer - Stone-Curlew (Fixed-Term)
- Government Affairs Manager
- Part-Time Learning Assistant (Fixed-Term)
- Catering Assistant - Loch Leven - Variable Hours Available
- Part-Time Catering Assistants (Variable Hours)