Are you a fundraiser with a passion for nature? RSPB Scotland is looking for a fundraising expert to lead our Fundraising Team to meet targets in increasing and diversifying income from external funding sources (individual, corporate) in order to enable delivery of priority projects and goals to aid nature's recovery.
The Fundraising Manager is a key member of the fundraising team and will lead on generating and managing income from Corporates and Mid-Level Individuals in Scotland. They will play a key role in ensuring that the RSPB Scotland fundraising team meets (and where possible, exceeds) agreed income targets.
The role is primarily responsible for raising money for work undertaken by RSPB Scotland. The successful candidate can be based flexibly in Scotland, but will be expected to travel to Edinburgh, and occasionally other reserves, when required. This role can also be flexible/hybrid between office and home working.
What's the role about?
This role will see the Fundraising Manager drive and manage RSPB Scotland’s corporate and Mid-level donor income streams – with support from the Senior Fundraising Manager.
The Fundraising Manager will take ownership of the increasingly significant corporate income stream at RSPB Scotland by:
- Sharing knowledge with colleagues in Scotland and across the UK;
- Working with operational teams to ensure priority projects can access this finance;
- Developing relationships with potential investors;
- Carrying out due diligence of potential funders; and
- Maximising relationship benefits for the RSPB and nature.
The role will manage two Senior Fundraising officers, and will be responsible for:
- Supporting their work plan and targets;
- Aligning appropriate projects with funding streams to maximise income;
- Setting and monitoring key performance indicators;
- Evaluating performance;
- Motivating and developing the team; and
- Providing accurate management information.
The ability to build positive relationships with an array of people will be crucial to the success of this role. This will range from showcasing RSPB projects to individual donors and patrons to influencing potential business relationships so that they are inspired to help us Save Nature. Developing good internal working relationships with RSPB colleagues will facilitate appropriate alignment of projects with funders.
Please note that, due to the need to access remote locations in the UK, the successful candidate will be able to travel to remote areas without the use of public transport.
Essential skills, knowledge and experience:
- Evidence of in-depth understanding of funder motivations, funding processes, the implications of funding packages and commitments and project management principles.
- Understanding team dynamics and what it takes to lead a team successfully - recognising motivation, confidence and competence as drivers for success.
- How to use a fundraising database such as Raisers Edge, Care or Salesforce
- Understanding of the approach required to cultivate a prospect; how to undertake basic research on potential prospects’ interests, and to write cultivation strategies that will provide the best opportunity to involve potential prospects in the work of the charity.
- The importance of GDPR and data protection relating to funder/supporter information
- Confidence and an articulate presentation when speaking and discussing fundraising opportunities.
- Excellence in written communication
- Experience and commitment to delivery of Return-on-Investment
- Having successfully managed and developed donor relationships leading to substantial support.
- Experience working to income targets and managing income and expenditure budgets.
- A strong advocate capable of working with senior external and internal people.
This is a Permanent Full-Time role. We are looking to conduct interviews for this position the week commencing 27th February 2023. For further information please contact email@example.com
As part of this application process you will be asked to complete an application form including evidence on how you meet the skills, knowledge, and experience listed above.
We are committed to developing an inclusive and diverse RSPB, in which everyone feels supported, valued, and able to be their full selves. To achieve our vision of creating a world richer in nature, we need more people, and more diverse people, on nature’s side. People of colour and disabled people are currently underrepresented across the environment, climate, sustainability, and conservation sector. If you identify as a person of colour and/or disabled, we are particularly interested in receiving your application. Contact us to discuss any additional support you may need to complete your application.
The RSPB is an equal opportunities employer. This role is covered by the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974.
Before applying for this role, we recommend reading through the candidate guidance notes attached to the top of this advert.
The FlexScore® is the result of a rigorous 2-step verification of a company’s flexibility
First we assess the flexibility options RSPB provides and then we anonymously survey a statistically significant proportion of their employees to make sure RSPB is as flexible as they say they are. Our assessment is based on the six key elements of flexibility: location, hours, autonomy, benefits, role modelling and work-life balance.
We ask the hard questions so you don’t have to.
Working at RSPB
Gender diversity (male:female)
Across all 4 UK Countries
What employees are saying
I feel the RSPB is very flexible and this is reflected through the Line Management chain - I know I have the flexibility on a daily basis to start early / finish late, if something crops up at home - I am very satisfied :)
More roles at RSPB
- Senior Rural Surveyor, Wareham Arc Recovery Project
- Senior Project Manager - LIFE 100% Favourable (Fixed-Term)
- Bird Surveyor at Powharnal
- Estate Worker
- Rural Surveyor. Flexible Central and Eastern England
- Carbon Farming Project Manager - (Fixed-Term)
- Digital PMO Manager - Fully remote
- Part Time - Centre Assistant - Fixed Term
- Legacy Team Executive - RSPB UKHQ - The Lodge
- New to Nature Placement - Assistant Warden. Apply via Survey Monkey link.
- Part-Time - Cleaner
- Part-Time Retail Assistant
- Visitor Experience Manager
- Volunteer Engagement Manager
- Community Fundraising Manager - Scotland (Part-Time)
- Assistant Warden (Seasonal) Anglesey Terns SPA (4 posts)
- Senior Conservation Officer
- Head of Sustainable Land Use Policy - England
- Part Time - Catering Assistant - (Fixed Term)
- Part-Time Catering Assistant x 2 (Fixed-Term)
- Senior Financial Accountant
- Assistant Catering Manager
- Curlew Monitoring Officer - (Fixed term)
- Head of Marine Policy
- Campaigns Developer - Flexible in UK
- Curlew Life Research Assistant (Technical) - RSPB Northern Ireland
- New to Nature Placement - Community and Visitor Engagement Assistant - Apply via Survey Monkey Link
- New to Nature Placement - Access to Nature Project Assistant. Apply via Survey Monkey link.
- Head of Policy & Advocacy - England
- Part-Time Cleaner x 2
- Project Manager - (Frampton Marsh)
- Nature Protection Policy Officer (Fixed-Term)
- Part Time - Learning Assistant - (Fixed term)
- Curlew LIFE Research Assistant (RSPB Northern Ireland)
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Bedford Area
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Luton Area
- Centre Assistant - variable hours - (Fixed Term)
- 2 x Senior Administrator - (Fixed Term)
- Employee Relations Adviser - x3 (Part-Time & Full-Time roles available)
- Research Assistants x2 - Twite Recovery Project
- PT or FT - Senior Project Manager – Nature Positive Biodiversity Gain in Scotland (Fixed Term)
- Assistant Warden - (Fixed Term)
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Telford
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Chester
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Driffield - Flexible within East Yorks.
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Sheffield
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Glasgow
- Wildlife Fundraiser x2 - RSPB Loch Garten Nature Reserve (Seasonal Contract)
- Curlew Monitoring Officer x 2 – Upper Lough Erne
- Part-Time Car Park Attendant x4 (Fixed-Term)
- Area Manager (East Midlands)
- Education, Families & Youth Officer - Scotland based - Hybrid (Part-Time)
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Tonbridge Area
- Wildlife Fundraiser - North London
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Isle of Wight
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Cheltenham
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Falmouth
- Rheolwr Cyfathrebu / Communications Manager
- Test Team Lead
- Senior Conservation Scientist - Flexible in UK
- Beach Nesting Bird Project Officer - (fixed term)
- Learning and Visitor Assistant x2 (Part time & Fixed term - March to October)
- Senior Policy Officer - Bioenergy and BECCS - Fixed Term
- Part-Time Cleaner
- Glenwherry Curlew Initiative Monitoring Officer (RSPB Northern Ireland)
- Moorland Warden - (Fixed Term)
- Dundee Project Manager - (Fixed Term - Possible Secondment Opportunity)
- Assistant Warden - Cumbria Coast Reserves
- Conservation Officer - Lough Neagh (Fixed-Term)
- Project Officer - Stone-Curlew (Fixed-Term)
- Government Affairs Manager
- Health, Safety & Environment Advisor - Central England
- Part-Time Learning Assistant (Fixed-Term)
- Part-Time Finance Officer - Orkney Native Wildlife Project (Fixed-Term)
- Catering Assistant - Loch Leven - Variable Hours Available
- Learning and Visitor Assistant - RSPB Saltholme (Part-Time)
- Senior Beach Warden (Fixed-Term)
- Part-Time Catering Assistants (Variable Hours)
- Site Maintenance Assistant
- Senior Systems Engineer