A career in Food and Beverage that gives back!
At The RSPB we believe we’re all connected. As the UK’s largest nature conservation charity, we think big and act boldly, in the hope that one day we can see a world where wildlife, wild places and all people thrive. Our Food and Beverage teams raise vital funds which enable us to carry out globally important conservation work in the race to save nature.
The Lodge nature reserve is a unique place near Sandy, Bedfordshire, offering rich wildlife and heritage experiences. We are inclusive and family friendly, and as one of our top Reserves we deliver support and income for the Society, with a shop, natural play area, six miles of nature trails, and gardens. Our brand-new café will soon open be opening to provide great Food and Beverage experiences for our visitors.
What can we offer you?
• RSPB Pension Scheme, with matching employer contributions.
• Employee Assistance Programme, available for you and direct members of your household.
• Investing in your career development, with opportunities for secondment.
• Discounts in RSPB Retail and Food and Beverage
• Cycle to Work Scheme
• In addition to a meaningful career in Food and Beverage, each year you will receive an extra day of paid leave to spend volunteering for any charity or voluntary organisation of your choice.
What does this role look like?
• Responsible for the planning and delivery of efficient day to day running of the cafe.
• Ensure that all Food and Beverage staff and volunteers are recruited trained and managed in accordance with RSPB Food Safety Policy and organisational guidelines.
• Ensure the Food and Beverage Team is delivering the highest standard of customer service, ability to respond to customer needs and feedback.
• Achieve financial targets and Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) to deliver against Food and Beverage Strategy objectives.
• Ensure the cafe is commercially merchandised according to the agreed layout and stock levels are appropriate.
• Ensure all admin, operating processes, security, and health and safety adhere to RSPB Food Safety Policy procedures.
• Ability to plan and prioritise your workload, problem solve and be able to work on your own initiative.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to share knowledge with confidence and enthusiasm.
What you can bring to The RSPB:
• A positive outlook, willing to learn new skills and ask for help when needed.
• A genuine desire to deliver amazing experiences for our visitors.
• Can-do attitude, empowering each other to be confident in being curious.
• A passion for good food and drink and the importance of our natural world.
• Level 2 Food Safety, willing to work towards Level 3.
• Proven track record of managing a successful Food and Beverage operation.
• Understanding of working EPOS systems. Desirable
• GCSE Maths and English, or equivalent. Desirable
This is a Permanent role for 37.5 hours per week. We are looking to conduct interviews for this position from Monday 9th January 2023.
For more information or an informal chat about the role, please contact Site Manager Peter Bradley, Peter.Bradley@RSPB.org.uk.
As part of this application process you will be asked to provide a copy of your CV and complete an application form including evidence on how you meet the skills, knowledge, and experience listed above.
The RSPB is an equal opportunities employer. This role is covered by the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974. This role is not eligible for UK Visa Sponsorship - the successful applicant will need to have a pre-existing Right to Work in the UK in order to be offered an employment contract.
Before applying for this role, we recommend reading through the candidate guidance notes attached to the top of this advert.
The FlexScore® is the result of a rigorous 2-step verification of a company’s flexibility
First we assess the flexibility options RSPB provides and then we anonymously survey a statistically significant proportion of their employees to make sure RSPB is as flexible as they say they are. Our assessment is based on the six key elements of flexibility: location, hours, autonomy, benefits, role modelling and work-life balance.
We ask the hard questions so you don’t have to.
Working at RSPB
Gender diversity (male:female)
Across all 4 UK Countries
What employees are saying
I feel the RSPB is very flexible and this is reflected through the Line Management chain - I know I have the flexibility on a daily basis to start early / finish late, if something crops up at home - I am very satisfied :)
More roles at RSPB
- Conservation Scientist (Social Sciences) - (Fixed Term)
- Warden - Eastern Solent Reserves
- Assistant Monitoring Officer (ELP) - (Fixed-Term)
- Organisational Development Adviser - Flexible in UK/Hybrid
- Learning and Development Adviser x2 - Part-Time & Full-Time (Flexible in UK/Hybrid)
- Cairngorms Connect Communications Officer - (Fixed Term)
- Seasonal Assistant Warden - Wallasea Island (Fixed-Term)
- Trapper (Fixed-Term) - Orkney Native Wildlife Project
- Seasonal Field Officer - Plovers in Peril (Fixed Term)
- Visitor Experience Officer (x 4) RSPB Rathlin Island - Northern Ireland
- Assistant Catering Manager
- Assistant Warden x2 (Fixed-Term)
- Assistant Warden x2 - Eastern Solent Reserves
- Communications Officer - Orkney Native Wildlife Project – Kirkwall Office
- 2 x Part-Time Cleaners - (14.5 hours M to F and 5 hours at weekends)
- Conservation Data Officer (Fixed-Term)
- Senior Systems Engineer
- Seabird & Marine Policy Officer (Senior)
- 5 x Centre Assistants - Bempton Cliffs (6 months Fixed-Term, Variable Hours Avail)
- Project Officer - Species on the Edge - Orkney (Fixed Term)
- Visitor Operations Manager - Devon, Exe Estuary (30 hours p/w)
- Head of Communications & Marketing (Wales - RSPB Cymru - HQ )
- Assistant Warden - North West Norfolk Reserves (Fixed-Term)
- Curlew LIFE Project Officer (Fixed-Term)
- Turtle Dove Conservation Advisor (South-East England)
- Digital Technology - Senior Delivery Manager ( x2 roles )
- Digital PMO Manager - Fully remote
- Humber Beach Nesting Birds Project Officer - Fixed Term
- Assistant Warden Ramsey Island - Wales
- Head of Fundraising Campaign Planning (Flexible in UK - Hybrid-WFH)
- Board Administration Coordinator - Flexible in England (WFH Option)
- Direct Marketing Manager - (Flexible in UK - Hybrid/WFH)
- Programme Manager - Membership Recruitment and Retention (Flexible in UK - Hybrid/WFH)
- Membership Marketing and Retention Manager (Flexible in UK - Hybrid/WFH)
- Project Coordinator - Eurasian Curlew (Fixed-Term)
- Food and Beverage Supervisor
- Administrator - RSPB Geltsdale Nature Reserve (Part-Time)
- Junior Interaction Developer
- Junior Developer - Flexible in UK
- Conservation Officer - Lough Neagh (Fixed-Term)
- Endangered Landscapes Programme Manager - Cumbria (Fixed-Term)
- Community Connections and Volunteer Manager - Lough Erne Landscape Partnership (HYBRID-WFH)
- Warden, Sunart Reserves Glenborrodale
- Part-Time Catering Assistants (Variable Hours)