RSPB Northern Ireland are currently recruiting for a Conservation Officer in the Lough Neag area. We are looking for a candidate who is self-motivated and prides themselves on delivering high standards. You will have excellent ecological skills and knowledge, particularly of wet grassland and raised bog habitats and their conservation. A background in landscape scale conservation, farm advisory and nature conservation delivery mechanisms is desirable, as is an in-depth knowledge of breeding waders (curlews, redshanks, lapwings and snipe), their habitat requirements and relevant survey techniques.
About the role
As part of the Northern Ireland Operations Team, you will deliver a range of work for priority species and habitats across the Lough Neag landscape. In this varied role, you will provide advice directly to farmers and land managers, coordinate and undertake surveys, and help deliver conservation projects to help nature thrive across this priority landscape.
This role will sit within the West NI Area Team and reports to the Conservation Manager. You will have an important external role, building positive relationships with key partners and stakeholders so that RSPBs policies and messages are understood and furthered within relevant partnerships.
This is a fantastic opportunity to play your part in delivering RSPB's conservation work within a landscape rich in wildlife and important for people. If this sounds like the job for you, we would love to hear from you!
You will be responsible for:
• Providing advice, training and information to local communities, landowners, land managers and land use advisers on priority species and habitats, in close liaison with other members of the Conservation Team
• Undertaking and overseeing species/habitat surveys and monitoring work on sites to ensure delivery of site/s objectives. This includes mapping, and the gathering & management of electronic data.
• Demonstrating best practice in terms of collaboration & communication, working with a wide range of internal and external stakeholders.
• Managing medium and small projects using the RSPB’s Project Management Framework
• Supervising contractors to carry out work on sites safely and legally to deliver project targets.
• Building positive relationships with key decision-makers, external partners and stakeholders so that RSPB’s policies and messages are understood and furthered by decision-makers and within relevant partnerships and fora.
• Manage and develop volunteers to ensure the delivery of an ambitious work programme maintaining focus on priority species and habitats
Essential Knowledge, skills and experience:
• Degree level qualification in a relevant subject or ability to show equivalent work experience.
• Sufficient understanding of species and habitats of Lough Neagh.
• A strong knowledge of breeding wader ecology.
• Sufficient knowledge of a range of delivery mechanisms, including agri-environmental schemes, for conservation work in Lough Neagh.
• Ability to work effectively as a team player both internally and in external partnerships.
• Excellent communication skills (verbal, written and presentational) - including an ability to speak confidently and cogently in public to a variety of audiences.
• Ability to rapidly analyse significant quantities of information, prioritise and balance a diverse workload often to tight deadlines.
• Proficient at using Microsoft Office packages including Outlook, Excel & Word.
• Experience of negotiating with the public or private sector, to deliver biodiversity benefits.
• Experience of working to survey, protect and/or manage important sites, species or habitats.
• Experience of managing staff or volunteers and setting clear work priorities.
• Experience of productive partnership working.
• Experience of delivering conservation works through contractors.
• Competency in use of GIS.
• Effective project management skills.
• Understanding of the concept of landscape scale conservation and the pressures on land use in the operational area of this role.
This is a Full-Time, fixed-term contract for 2 years. We are looking to conduct interviews for this position on 20th December 2022. For all application enquiries, please contact Sean.Woods@rspb.org.uk
As part of this application process you will be asked to complete an application form including evidence on how you meet the skills, knowledge, and experience listed above.
The RSPB is an equal opportunities employer. This role is covered by the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974.
Before applying for this role, we recommend reading through the candidate guidance notes attached to the top of this advert.
The FlexScore® is the result of a rigorous 2-step verification of a company’s flexibility
First we assess the flexibility options RSPB provides and then we anonymously survey a statistically significant proportion of their employees to make sure RSPB is as flexible as they say they are. Our assessment is based on the six key elements of flexibility: location, hours, autonomy, benefits, role modelling and work-life balance.
We ask the hard questions so you don’t have to.
Working at RSPB
Gender diversity (male:female)
Across all 4 UK Countries
What employees are saying
I feel the RSPB is very flexible and this is reflected through the Line Management chain - I know I have the flexibility on a daily basis to start early / finish late, if something crops up at home - I am very satisfied :)
More roles at RSPB
- Retail Assistant - RSPB Leighton Moss Nature Reserve (Part-Time)
- Head of Sustainable Land and Climate Policy - Flexible in UK
- Project Officer - England Twite Recovery Project - (Fixed Term)
- Learning Officer- Orkney Native Wildlife Project – Kirkwall Office (Part-Time)
- Part-Time - Estate Worker - (Fixed Term)
- Programme Officer - Flexible in UK
- Cairngorms Connect Communications Officer - (Fixed Term)
- Conservation Scientist (Social Sciences) - (Fixed Term)
- Warden - Eastern Solent Reserves
- Assistant Monitoring Officer (ELP) - (Fixed-Term)
- Organisational Development Adviser - Flexible in UK/Hybrid
- Learning and Development Adviser x2 - Part-Time & Full-Time (Flexible in UK/Hybrid)
- Seasonal Assistant Warden - Wallasea Island (Fixed-Term)
- Trapper (Fixed-Term) - Orkney Native Wildlife Project
- Seasonal Field Officer - Plovers in Peril (Fixed Term)
- Visitor Experience Officer (x 4) RSPB Rathlin Island - Northern Ireland
- Assistant Catering Manager
- Assistant Warden x2 (Fixed-Term)
- Assistant Warden x2 - Eastern Solent Reserves
- Communications Officer - Orkney Native Wildlife Project – Kirkwall Office
- 2 x Part-Time Cleaners - (14.5 hours M to F and 5 hours at weekends)
- Conservation Data Officer (Fixed-Term)
- Senior Systems Engineer
- Seabird & Marine Policy Officer (Senior)
- 5 x Centre Assistants - Bempton Cliffs (6 months Fixed-Term, Variable Hours Avail)
- Project Officer - Species on the Edge - Orkney (Fixed Term)
- Visitor Operations Manager - Devon, Exe Estuary (30 hours p/w)
- Head of Communications & Marketing (Wales - RSPB Cymru - HQ )
- Assistant Warden - North West Norfolk Reserves (Fixed-Term)
- Curlew LIFE Project Officer (Fixed-Term)
- Turtle Dove Conservation Advisor (South-East England)
- Digital Technology - Senior Delivery Manager ( x2 roles )
- Digital PMO Manager - Fully remote
- Humber Beach Nesting Birds Project Officer - Fixed Term
- Assistant Warden Ramsey Island - Wales
- Head of Fundraising Campaign Planning (Flexible in UK - Hybrid-WFH)
- Board Administration Coordinator - Flexible in England (WFH Option)
- Direct Marketing Manager - (Flexible in UK - Hybrid/WFH)
- Programme Manager - Membership Recruitment and Retention (Flexible in UK - Hybrid/WFH)
- Membership Marketing and Retention Manager (Flexible in UK - Hybrid/WFH)
- Project Coordinator - Eurasian Curlew (Fixed-Term)
- Food and Beverage Assistant Manager
- Food and Beverage Supervisor
- Administrator - RSPB Geltsdale Nature Reserve (Part-Time)
- Junior Interaction Developer
- Junior Developer - Flexible in UK
- Endangered Landscapes Programme Manager - Cumbria (Fixed-Term)
- Community Connections and Volunteer Manager - Lough Erne Landscape Partnership (HYBRID-WFH)
- Warden, Sunart Reserves Glenborrodale
- Part-Time Catering Assistants (Variable Hours)