Do you want the opportunity to make a real impact for shore nesting birds across the Solent region? Thanks to the LIFE Programme (LIFE on the Edge) and the Solent Seascape Project, we are now recruiting for a Beach Nesting Bird Project Officer to help us change the fortunes of shore nesting birds on multiple sites, both on and off nature reserves across the Solent.
Spread out across the Solent's shingle and saltmarsh coasts, a diverse range of coastal ground-nesting birds make their home each summer. Ringed plover, oystercatcher, and little tern regularly attempt nesting on our shingle beaches, looking for new sites each year to raise a new generation as well as returning to old favourites. Dense colonies of sandwich tern, black-headed and Mediterranean gulls take advantage of the water surrounded shingle and saltmarsh islands whilst common tern make use of a mixture of sites varying between man made structures and secluded shores. All of these species are facing the growing challenge of fitting in on our very busy coasts. That's where we're aiming to make the difference.
What's the role about?
We are looking for a person to lead on our work across a network of shore nesting bird sites. You'll be surveying nesting sites, monitoring their progress, creating and supporting volunteer groups to safeguard colonies, running events to spread awareness, as well as helping with other small projects as needed. You will need to be an inspiring communicator with the ability to motivate others to take action for nature. You’ll be both creative and innovative when it comes to delivering this programme to restore and protect shore nesting birds.
Developing, empowering and supporting teams of volunteers to deliver shore nesting bird protection will form an important part of the role, and experience of leading a diverse team is desirable. You will need to have the ability to relate well to others. You will work to encourage participation and to communicate the value of community and volunteer involvement to the conservation of shore birds will be central to the success of the project.
- To deliver site protection on known shore bird nesting sites (working with existing staff and partners), preparing infrastructure, monitoring bird presence and productivity.
- Work with external organisations and the local community to establish a fuller picture of shore bird nesting potential across the region, monitoring sites across the region.
- Help set up, lead and support a network of volunteer shorebird nesting wardening teams where needed
- Run events to increase knowledge and support for nesting shore birds across the Solent
- Support the existing reserve wardening staff to deliver the wider habitat creation elements of LIFE on the edge.
Essential skills, knowledge and experience:
- A proven passion for shorebirds and their conservation.
- A communicator with the ability to create and lead a volunteer team delivering practical conservation.
- The motivation and ability to initiate subprojects as needed.
- Good written and verbal communication skills, and competent use of Microsoft Office.
- Experience delivering community outreach and/or practical conservation.
- The ability to continue building partnerships across a broad range of people and organisations.
Desirable skills, knowledge and experience:
- A working knowledge of shorebird, seabird and wetland bird ecological, the issues they face and practical conservation methods.
This is a Fixed-Term 19 month contract until October 2024, Full-Time role for 37.5 hours per week.
This role is based in Solent, the vision is dual working with home, Langstone Office, Pagham Office and site based off reserve but this is flexible.
The RSPB reserves the right to extend or make this role permanent without further advertising dependent on business needs at the end of the contract term.
We are looking to conduct interviews for this position on February 5th. For further information please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
As part of this application process you will be asked to provide a copy of your CV and complete an application form including evidence on how you meet the skills, knowledge, and experience listed above.
The RSPB is an equal opportunities employer. This role is covered by the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974.
Before applying for this role, we recommend reading through the candidate guidance notes attached to the top of this advert.
The FlexScore® is the result of a rigorous 2-step verification of a company’s flexibility
First we assess the flexibility options RSPB provides and then we anonymously survey a statistically significant proportion of their employees to make sure RSPB is as flexible as they say they are. Our assessment is based on the six key elements of flexibility: location, hours, autonomy, benefits, role modelling and work-life balance.
We ask the hard questions so you don’t have to.
Working at RSPB
Gender diversity (male:female)
Across all 4 UK Countries
What employees are saying
I feel the RSPB is very flexible and this is reflected through the Line Management chain - I know I have the flexibility on a daily basis to start early / finish late, if something crops up at home - I am very satisfied :)
More roles at RSPB
- Carbon Farming Project Manager - (Fixed-Term)
- Digital PMO Manager - Fully remote
- Part Time - Centre Assistant - Fixed Term
- Legacy Team Executive - RSPB UKHQ - The Lodge
- New to Nature Placement - Assistant Warden. Apply via Survey Monkey link.
- Part-Time - Cleaner
- Part-Time Retail Assistant
- Visitor Experience Manager
- Volunteer Engagement Manager
- Community Fundraising Manager - Scotland (Part-Time)
- Assistant Warden (Seasonal) Anglesey Terns SPA (4 posts)
- Senior Conservation Officer
- Head of Sustainable Land Use Policy - England
- Fundraising Manager - Scotland
- Part Time - Catering Assistant - (Fixed Term)
- Part-Time Catering Assistant x 2 (Fixed-Term)
- Senior Financial Accountant
- Assistant Catering Manager
- Curlew Monitoring Officer - (Fixed term)
- Head of Marine Policy
- Campaigns Developer - Flexible in UK
- Curlew Life Research Assistant (Technical) - RSPB Northern Ireland
- New to Nature Placement - Community and Visitor Engagement Assistant - Apply via Survey Monkey Link
- New to Nature Placement - Access to Nature Project Assistant. Apply via Survey Monkey link.
- Head of Policy & Advocacy - England
- Part-Time Cleaner x 2
- Project Manager - (Frampton Marsh)
- Nature Protection Policy Officer (Fixed-Term)
- Part Time - Learning Assistant - (Fixed term)
- Curlew LIFE Research Assistant (RSPB Northern Ireland)
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Bedford Area
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Luton Area
- Centre Assistant - variable hours - (Fixed Term)
- 2 x Senior Administrator - (Fixed Term)
- Employee Relations Adviser - x3 (Part-Time & Full-Time roles available)
- Research Assistants x2 - Twite Recovery Project
- PT or FT - Senior Project Manager – Nature Positive Biodiversity Gain in Scotland (Fixed Term)
- Assistant Warden - (Fixed Term)
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Telford
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Chester
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Driffield - Flexible within East Yorks.
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Sheffield
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Glasgow
- Wildlife Fundraiser x2 - RSPB Loch Garten Nature Reserve (Seasonal Contract)
- Curlew Monitoring Officer x 2 – Upper Lough Erne
- Part-Time Car Park Attendant x4 (Fixed-Term)
- Area Manager (East Midlands)
- Education, Families & Youth Officer - Scotland based - Hybrid (Part-Time)
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Tonbridge Area
- Wildlife Fundraiser - North London
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Isle of Wight
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Cheltenham
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Falmouth
- Rheolwr Cyfathrebu / Communications Manager
- Test Team Lead
- Warden (Farnham Heath)
- Project Manager - Corncrake Calling - (fixed-term)
- Senior Conservation Scientist - Flexible in UK
- Learning and Visitor Assistant x2 (Part time & Fixed term - March to October)
- Senior Policy Officer - Bioenergy and BECCS - Fixed Term
- Part-Time Cleaner
- Glenwherry Curlew Initiative Monitoring Officer (RSPB Northern Ireland)
- Moorland Warden - (Fixed Term)
- Dundee Project Manager - (Fixed Term - Possible Secondment Opportunity)
- Assistant Warden - Cumbria Coast Reserves
- Conservation Officer - Lough Neagh (Fixed-Term)
- Food & Beverage Business Support Executive
- Project Officer - Stone-Curlew (Fixed-Term)
- Visitor Experience Manager - Rainham Marshes
- Government Affairs Manager
- Health, Safety & Environment Advisor - Central England
- Part-Time Learning Assistant (Fixed-Term)
- Part-Time Finance Officer - Orkney Native Wildlife Project (Fixed-Term)
- Catering Assistant - Loch Leven - Variable Hours Available
- Learning and Visitor Assistant - RSPB Saltholme (Part-Time)
- Senior Programme Manager (RSPB Estate)
- Senior Beach Warden (Fixed-Term)
- Head of UK Overseas Territories Programme
- Visitor Experience Officer (Fixed-Term)
- Peatland Project Manager - Shetlands (Fixed-Term)
- Part-Time Catering Assistants (Variable Hours)
- Site Maintenance Assistant
- Seabird Research Assistant - Bempton Cliffs
- Assistant Warden - Shetland Office
- Learning Officer - RSPB Scotland - Orkney (Part-Time)
- Project Officer - England Twite Recovery Project - (Fixed Term)
- Learning Officer- Orkney Native Wildlife Project – Kirkwall Office (Part-Time)
- Senior Systems Engineer