Core hours 11 - 3
The last two decades have seen an explosion in new payment services - from digital wallets, mobile payments, and open banking, to Buy Now Pay Later and crypto. Great for consumers! But, incredibly complex for merchants and developers. That’s where Primer comes in.
Primer is the world's first automation platform for payments. With Primer, merchants and developers have all the underlying infrastructure and "lego blocks" they need to build the best buying experiences for their customers. Any developer can build a connection on Primer; merchants then simply 'click and connect' to the services they need to build their desired payment flows within their Primer dashboard.
Since starting in January 2020, we've raised funding from top tier investors including Accel, Balderton and Iconiq. Our all-star team from across the world of payments and fintech includes ex Braintree-PayPal, Stripe, Checkout, Tink, Recurly, TrueLayer, Paddle, Plaid, Kount and more - come and join us!
Primer is looking for a world-class engineering leader to help us build the most powerful commerce platform in the world. Reporting to Paul Anthony, Co-Founder, you'll be scaling teams in a high growth start-up environment and take on any challenge thrown your way to make this happen.
You'll be a seasoned, strategic leader, who'll bring passion, enthusiasm, energy and integrity into the role. You'll have built great innovative products, be comfortable working in a startup environment and have a track record of delivering engineering excellence.
What you'll be doing
- Owning engineering at Primer - establishing best practices for the company, steering us as we scale the team 3x over the next year, pushing the team's growth and competencies, and unlocking maximum value to improve our end to end delivery
- Embodying the Primer culture, acting as a role model for the organisation and offering inspirational leadership
- Leading and evolving the engineering strategy, implementing a technology vision for the organisation
- Evaluating our architecture, technology stack and engineering org structure to assess if fit for purpose, improving processes where possible to enhance delivery quality and velocity
- Building a 'best in class' engineering team by defining the engineering hiring strategy and working closely with group leaders to attract the best talent from around the world
- Creating structured performance reviews to support ongoing professional development within the engineering division
What are we looking for
- Tenure in leading and growing global high calibre engineering teams in product-centric orgs - we are looking for someone who's previously gone through rapid scaling and will bring energy and enthusiasm into doing it all again here
- Highly technical individual, hands-on when it comes to implementing processes across the organisation and proven experience leading technical direction
- Expertise in scaling hyper-growth startups from early-stage up to enterprise level, with tried and tested solutions to combat the associated challenges
- Passion for building a great culture and motivating engineers to perform at their best; we want all of the Primer team to always be learning, growing and moving forward in their careers
- Previous experience working with peers to structure product and engineering orgs at scale
- Leadership and communication skills - you can understand your audience and deliver simple but clear messages to all groups, and ideally speak publicly on the achievements of Primer and the benefits of our product
- Initiative, the ability to think fast and the ease in communication needed to quickly build rapport, respect and trust from the wider group when you join
- Ambition, drive and energy - we're passionate about building the next paradigm within payments and want you to be too
The way we work is different at Primer
Our culture is about removing the roadblocks to doing your best work. We focus on taking initiative, letting the best ideas win, and valuing output over anything else.
Underpinning all of this is our 'trust by default'. You’ll work remotely, wherever works best for you, have unlimited coworking access, unlimited time off, no company spending approvals, regular whole company retreats, team workations, and open access to people across the company.
We find the best thinking and work come from removing limiting assumptions. So, one of our favourite approaches to solving problems is simply: If anything is possible, then what will you do?
100% remote working - work from anywhere you like, however you like 🌍
Competitive share options 📈
Unlimited holiday ✈️
Co-working space access 🗣
Team socials - quarterly workations, annual company retreats and virtual events 🥳
Laptop, screens and accessories of your choosing! 🖥
Additional £500 towards your home office setup 🪴
Unlimited learning budget 🧠
Medical insurance via SafetyWings 🩺
Location-specific benefits - pension, 401k, health insurance etc.