3–4 days per week at home
Core hours 11 - 3
We're looking for a Lead Developer to drive development on client projects, help shape development as a practice at Planes and consult clients on Technical choices.
Everyone is welcome 🌿
We strongly believe in building a diverse and inclusive team, please don't see everything here as a 'must have'. If this sounds like your kind of gig, we'd love to hear from you!
Where: Planes are based in London, we have a studio in Hoxton and work flexibly, so work from home or the studio, wherever you to your best work
Interview process: 3 stages with a practical element focussing on technical ability, your work process and communication
Salary: £85k-£100k per annum
About us ✈️
Planes is a young digital product studio, started by two friends who liked making great products together. As we grow that will always be our essence - to work on products we believe in with people we enjoy every day.
Our background is in startups, not agencies. We prefer shipping code, listening to users and iterating quickly rather than long lunches, ‘expert’ reports and death by powerpoint. This approach has lead us to work with all sorts of people, from international fin-tech providers to startups, building products that their users love.
A small and nimble team, we work collaboratively to produce work that we are proud of and our clients love. We are made up of designers, engineers and product lovers who are all entrepreneurs by nature.
Who you might be 👋
We are looking for a Lead Developer to join our team full time. You might:
- Have built projects from the ground up and have the ability to structure projects using best practices.
- Have grown teams, and know what it takes to make a great one.
- Have been a coach for other developers.
- Possess great communication skills.
- Have worked directly with clients to consult on technical requirements.
- Want to contribute to not only client projects, but the growth of Planes as a whole.
- Be comfortable not knowing everything, but have the desire to grow.
What you might do 💫
A Lead Developer at Planes will be working directly on projects, closely with the project teams (including designers, developers and product managers), helping them to work to best practices and unblock them when technical challenges arise. Much of the time you will find your self working directly on projects, getting your hands dirty whether thats via pair programming with more junior developers or committing code. However from time to time you might find yourself client-facing, helping to scope projects and consulting on technical requirements for a new project.
On top of your day to day, you will be helping to enhance the Software Engineering practice at Planes by spotting opportunities for team growth, identifying possible new tools that could help the team work more efficiently and providing mentoring for other developers in the team.
Our tech stack:
- React.js, Next.js, React Native
- AWS Serverless technologies (Lambda, Dynamo, API Gateway, etc.)
- AWS CDK
It's not important that you've got experience with all of these tools.
Our benefits 🌴
- 25 days holiday (plus your birthday off)
- 8% pension contribution
- Optional 20 days unpaid holiday a year, for all you explorers out there
- Learning and development budget
- Access to the cycle to work scheme
- Enhanced Parental Leave. This is a gender-neutral policy where you can take up to 4 months of parental leave at full pay, at any time within the first 18 months of your child's life
- Flexible working; we're Flexa accredited with a score of 89.5%
- Partnership with Spill for all our team to have access to therapy sessions
- We're a Stigma Statistics' Safer & Supported accredited workplace
- Annual bonus
- Techy stuff - Macbook and accessories
If you've read this far and you think it sounds like a wicked opportunity (like we do) then please apply 🙌 Just send through a short (no longer than one paragraph) intro on you, examples of your work (links to GitHub etc are fine if you have them) along with your CV.
If we like what we see we will start with a phone call. Following that we will invite you in to have a chat over a (virtual) hang.
We'd then invite you to complete a coding challenge, it'll be a short, take-home challenge.
In light of COVID 🦠
Much like the rest of the world, we have been a fully remote team the last several months. While we're all pining to get back into the office, we've been working effectively while remote.
We're planning to get back into the office as soon as we are comfortable from a health and safety perspective, but there will be no requirement for anyone in the team to be back in the office until they also personally comfortable doing so.