At Papercup we’re on a mission to make the world’s videos watchable in any language. We’ve invented a patented AI system that generates humanlike synthetic voices across languages, allowing people to watch video content in the language of their choice. Our translated and dubbed content has allowed the likes of Insider, Discovery, Sky News, and Canva to reach over 300 million people globally in just the last year.Having just completed a $20 million Series A round, we're on the hunt for top people to join our ambitious mission.
We’re backed by some of the industry’s heaviest hitters - venture funds like Octopus Ventures, world-renowned angel investors including Des Traynor (co-founder of Intercom) and John Collison (co-founder of Stripe), as well as global media groups like Sky and Guardian Media Group.
We are driven, curious and passionate - our company culture is imperative to us and we set a high bar for those who join theteam. We're also fun to be around (at least that's what people tell us).
About the role
As a member of the machine learning team at Papercup, you will be part of a great team pushing the boundaries of neural text-to-speech and speech-to-speech translation systems. You will be working closely with machine learning engineers, to design and build our internal tooling and MLOps for training, evaluation, data gathering and deployment. You will be part of a newly formed Applied Research team, this team will focus on building out Papercup’s capabilities to many languages and building systems that can scale to meet the customer demand.
You will play a critical role to ensure we can serve our customers with cost-efficient models. At the same time, your work would enable a higher pace of research.
What we need from you:
- Analysing and optimizing machine learning codebases to improve training and inference performance
- Managing the production lifecycle of ML models from initial deployment, to testing and updating of the next iteration.
- Building and maintaining common libraries and frameworks, relied upon by the Machine Learning team to train, evaluate and deploy models
- Build up on existing data pipeline (Airflow, Django)
We will be a great match if you have:
- Experience working with machine learning framework (i.e. PyTorch/TensorFlow)
- Previously worked with the software development lifecycle and CI/CD best practices, preferably with Machine Learning models
- Practical experience with pipelines for deep learning models
- Practical experience with different database technologies such as SQL
Nice to have:
- Familiarity with machine learning theory
- Knowledge of Kubernetes and the ecosystem of Cloud Native tools.
- Worked with workflow management tools (e.g. Airflow, Metaflow, Prefect).
- Experience working with Docker for development and deployment.
- Experience with data and experiment tracking in DL projects
We really care about our people - culture matters deeply to us and we are committed to building a company that people are proud to work for
We're growing fast. That means you can help grow the business from the ground up and maintain a lot of ownership
Apart from all this good stuff, what else do we offer?
- Competitive salary up to £65,000 - £75,000 dependant on experience
- Unlimited vacation policy
- Flexible working options, 2-3 WFH
- Private medical cover or a monthly wellness bonus
- Options granted to everyone to benefit from the growth and success of the business
- The opportunity to learn - enroll in courses or conferences or take a reading week to improve your skills
- Food and fun: free snacks, Thursday breakfasts, monthly team socials, annual offsites, the best Slack banter you can find
Please note we’re not looking for someone who ticks all the boxes, if you have some of the skills listed above and are willing to learn, you’re the person for Papercup.
The FlexScore® is the result of a rigorous 2-step verification of a company’s flexibility
First we assess the flexibility options Papercup provides and then we anonymously survey a statistically significant proportion of their employees to make sure Papercup is as flexible as they say they are. Our assessment is based on the six key elements of flexibility: location, hours, autonomy, benefits, role modelling and work-life balance.
We ask the hard questions so you don’t have to.
Working at Papercup
Gender diversity (male:female)
London - Shoreditch
$20m Series A
What employees are saying
"I love how management leads by example in terms of unlimited holiday, taking time off, and really disconnecting, which helps to send the message to everyone in the company that this is how we expect time off to look."
Anonymous Papercup Employee