Motorway is the UK’s fastest-growing used car marketplace – our award-winning, online-only platform connects private car sellers with thousands of verified dealers nationwide, ensuring everyone gets the best deal. Founded in 2017, our technology-led approach has redefined the experience of selling a car, generating thousands of monthly car sales and helping us to grow to a team of more than 400 people across our London and Brighton offices.
About the role
Success in our data team is about enabling better decisions, faster. At the core of this mission sits our data platform which enables powerful, real-time analytics that empower the wider business.
Are you looking to have a big impact in your net role? We're growing fast and we want to ensure we have a rock solid Data Warehouse to support decision-making, business intelligence and best in class data products. You'll be key on this!
As our Analytics Engineer you'll join our ambitious multidisciplinary team. Working mostly with dbt you will support the building of robust data models that support internal reporting and machine learning – all our data lives in one place and is made available via our data warehouse in Google BigQuery.
You’ll be working with a team of 5+ Analysts and Data Scientists in an agile environment, part of a wider community of practitioners in product development, strategy, finance, marketing and sales.
We work with cutting-edge data infrastructure such as Stitch, Meroxa, dbt, Google BigQuery, Google AI platform, Data Studio, and more. You’ll also have plenty of development and training opportunities in a truly forward-thinking company. The role is fast-moving and varied, so the ideal candidate will have a love for problem-solving, data and idea creation.
What you'll do
- Support decision-making: provide clean, transformed data to end users in a way that empowers them to answer their own questions.
- Data quality: set standards on data robustness and freshness, and investigate and effectively work with colleagues from other disciplines to monitor and improve data quality across the organisation.
- Data modelling: define and refine best practices around modelling data.
- Metadata management: data assets documentation, discoverability, metadata integration.
- Coding standards: champion and implement software development best practices to ensure our code is high quality, well-tested, scalable and secure.
- Abstractions: create and manage reusable components in the form of jinja macros libraries and computation frameworks
- Data integrations: take responsibility for managing data integration tools (Meroxa and Stitch).
- Data operations: SLAs, data warehouse cost management, data quality monitoring, anomaly detection, and garbage collecting unused resources
- Stay on the cutting edge: we regularly do hack days! We believe in a culture of innovation in our day-to-day life. We experiment with new techniques, tools, and frameworks to keep Motorway at the leading edge of technology.
Don't worry if you feel you don't meet all the requirements. We still want to hear from you! Don't be shy and apply if you feel you could be a great fit for the role!
- You have experience and a passion for Data Modelling, ETL projects and Big Data as a developer or analyst
- SQL and data modelling are second nature to you.
- You are comfortable with general Data Warehousing concepts.
- You strive for improvement in your work and that of others, proactively identifying issues and opportunities.
- You have experience building robust and reliable data sets requiring a high level of control.
- Designing and building data models.
- Data Visualisation experience.
- Exposure to Python or similar languages.
- Have previously used dbt, dataform or similar tooling.
- A competitive salary
- Annual learning budget - you can choose how you like to learn and find the best learning experiences to support your progression.
- BUPA health insurance
- Discounted dental through BUPA
- Discounted gym membership through BUPA
- On-Hand volunteering membership and one paid volunteering day per year
- Hybrid working from home (approximately 1-2 days in the office a week)
- Pension scheme
- Motorway car leasing scheme - lease a zero-emissions electric vehicle at a significant discount
- Enhanced parental leave
- Top spec M1 MacBook Pro and accessories
- Regular social events
- Cycle to work scheme
Equal opportunities statement
We are committed to equality of opportunity for all employees. We work to provide a supportive and inclusive environment where people can maximise their full potential. We believe our workforce should reflect a variety of backgrounds, talents, perspectives and experiences. Our strong commitment to a culture of inclusion is evident through our constant focus on recruiting, developing and advancing individuals based on their skills and talents.
We welcome applications from all individuals regardless of age, disability, sex, gender reassignment, sexual orientation, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief and marriage and civil partnerships.
We asked employees of Motorway how satisfied they were with flexible working, and this is what they told us
Working at Motorway
London & Brighton