Remote-first - with Co-working space
Core hours 10 - 4
We're looking for an experienced Machine Learning Research Software Engineer to join our expanding team. Are you passionate about what you do and interested in tackling some of the world's most challenging data science problems directly with our clients and supported by an advanced ML team? Are you looking for the opportunity to use your skills across research, product and customer-focused work?
We grow and succeed together by working in collaborative, flexible, and self-organising remote-first teams where your passion for robust, science led, product development will allow you to thrive. Working at Mind Foundry will provide an excellent platform for you to grow, learn, and have a real impact on the important problems in the world by helping us to make our vision a reality.
ABOUT THE ROLE
You'll be working within the Applied Machine Learning department to enhance our ability to produce cutting edge models on geospatial datasets. The team works directly with our clients to understand their requirements, design solutions, prioritise milestones and manage deliverables. You should have a good understanding of the full model life cycle, from ensuring experiments can run at scale in early stages of development, to managing deployment and monitoring of pipelines in production.
This is a fantastic role for someone who likes to work across the spectrum from high-level ideas to nitty-gritty details, and an excellent opportunity to grow and learn alongside our highly talented team. We're a collaborative bunch and you'll always be encouraged to contribute ideas, give feedback or ask for help where necessary. All we ask is that you bring your A-game!
WHAT ELSE YOU'LL BE DOING
- Implementing state-of-the art geospatial models and data pipelines at large scale
- Maintain and develop a good working knowledge of state-of-the-art ML methods, software tools and implementation methods.
- Profiling and implementing tools to maximise capacity of delivery
- Writing maintainable production code and promoting best practices for code quality in a scientific codebase.
- Where appropriate, you will deliver training to the customer on core ML concepts and Mind Foundry products and solutions.
WHAT YOU'LL NEED
- A Masters degree in a scientific discipline such as Mathematics, Computer Science, Physics, or similar.
- 2+ years of academic or commercial experience managing data pipelines at scale
- Be an experienced software engineer, fluent in a high-level programming language (Python, Java, C#, etc.), ideally in a scientific or industrial context.
- Can work with data science libraries (numpy, Pandas, sklearn, etc) to deliver powerful results quickly
- Has experience with MLOps and end-to-end pipeline management tools (Docker, AWS Suite, etc)
- Eager to learn, have collaborative approach (you + me > you vs me)
- Comfortable speaking to customers and understanding what they need, or happy to learn quickly
GREAT IF YOU ALSO HAVE:
- Have experience managing and exploiting large geospatial datasets
- Have working experience with ML or statistical methods
- A PhD/DPhil is highly valued in Mind Foundry, but not essential for this role.
- Ability to communicate complex ideas at varying levels of depth according to audience
- Experience with Git, or possibly other VCS (Mercurial, Perforce etc)
- Experience with Linux
- Ability to write technical material (documentation, published papers, internal technical notes etc)
We understand that no single person can do it all and we don't expect everyone to be an expert in everything listed above.
What is like to work at Mind Foundry;
- We are growing! And fast! So be prepared to roll up your sleeves and get stuck into this next phase of growth. Consistency and an eye on the long-term is going to be incredibly important for our platform as we scale - so you’ve got to have a long lens, as well as be able to prioritise things for the short-term.
- We are autonomous! You are a member of a team - but you will have responsibility from Day 1. As the People team expands, we’re going to need to evolve and adapt to supporting the different needs of our team. So a commitment to mutually supporting each other is essential.
- We’re hybrid! It’s not a surprise, but there’s going to be a mixture of on-site and remote working; we’ll work with you to find the right combination for you and the role. So while you’ll be well connected with your teammates, it’s likely that you won’t be in the same environment as everyone you need to collaborate with. Being proactive and making a hybrid working style work for you, your collaborators and your team is essential.
- We’re learning! One of our commitments at Mind Foundry is to continuously learn from our experience and so we’re always looking for ways to improve, adapt and move forward. Things can change rapidly. So be prepared for a changing and flexing environment.
We are a hybrid organisation and therefore this role is offered as Oxford based, part-remote or fully remote (within +/- 2hrs GMT).
What else do we offer?
We believe in investing in our people by encouraging career and personal development aligned with your own goals and ambitions. We make sure all staff have the tools, time & support they need to shape their own professional development. We want to help you to be the best at what you do and to allow you to grow with the company.
You’ll enjoy a competitive compensation package and great benefits such as:
- Remote working
- Flexible hours
- Professional and personal development