3–4 days per week at home
Core hours 11 - 3
View our much better version of this job spec on our careers page: https://tinyurl.com/juro-legal
⚙️ THE KEY BITS
- ⭐️ What makes this role stand out: Juro runs a community of 600+ scale-up lawyers, which centres around a Slack group and offers exclusive events, networking and thought leadership. You’ll be a central part of this group.
- Whereabouts: We are open to remote candidates outside the UK (GMT+3) if you are willing to be on a contractor agreement. But we do give priority to candidates within England & Wales, not least because this role requires English law expertise.
- Visas: We can sponsor a visa for this role and help you relocate but we do give priority to candidates without visa requirements.
- Interviews: 3 stages incl. a task, totalling ~3 hours over 2-3 weeks.
- Seniority: We benchmarked* ca. £90-120k at MN3 level in our career framework. If our advertised salary doesn’t match your current expectations, just let us know and we’re very open to discussing further.
- Reporting to: Richard Mabey, CEO
- Direct reports: None to start but we expect you to hire ~1 FTE in the next 12 months and more thereafter.
- More info: The FAQ below, our careers page, our handbook or ask email@example.com anything.
🤝 HELP US HELP THE WORLD AGREE MORE
Juro has big ambitions: de-throne MS Word as the standard way to do contracts. And we'll need a lot of help doing it.
Legal tech on the rise: companies in this space already attracted more than $1 billion in funding this year as the slow-moving industry digitises. With 3x annual revenue growth, we're in a great position to pilot this change.
⚔️ THE CHALLENGE
We’ve more than tripled revenue, operate globally and have grown 4x in team size in the last 24 months (≥90 today), with hubs in London and Riga as well as a small but significant amount of remote employees in other locations.
This growth is set to continue, and with it come a range of compliance and business enablement challenges to address.
Juro is built for lawyers and our CEO & Co-founder Richard is an ex-lawyer (who has also been our de facto GC until now). Even so, we are at the right phase in our growth to bring in a strategic legal leader to enable the business and mitigate key risks.
👉 WHERE YOU COME IN
We are looking for our first legal leader. Someone who gets that legal can be an enabler of growth through effective business partnering and believes in Juro as a product that can help in that fight.
We will ask you to work across three main areas...
- Business enablement
- Risk and compliance
- Community engagement
...utilising pragmatism, your own expertise and owning external counsel relationships.
It will be a hard role that offers a huge amount of learning and responsibility (such as advising the Board).
To help you succeed, we offer:
🧑💻 A CEO who sees the value of legal as an enabler of growth
❤️🔥 A 600-strong community of scale-up lawyers
📔 Some of the best legal content in the world
🤝 Existing relationships with top-class law firms
🌱 Scope to build a legal team over time (1 FTE planned in next 12 months)
💝 Purposeful and inclusive benefits, environment and growth opportunities
🌠 YOUR MISSION
To enable the business to grow sustainably by protecting the company from legal risk.
🏆 This means business enablement...
- ensure all teams receive reliable, pragmatic and commercial legal advice
- own the process of templating and negotiating commercial, HR and vendor contracts
- advise the Board on corporate governance, transactions and structuring
- own legal operations and the “engine” for the delivery of legal services internally
- + manage the company’s relationships with external counsel to support the above
🥇 ...risk and compliance...
- ensure compliance with all other relevant laws + regulations (e.g. electronic signature etc.)
- protect the company from present and future risks (e.g. trademark disputes, litigation etc.)
- take responsibility for data protection, either as DPO yourself or supervising an external DPO
🏁 ...and community engagement:
- engage in thought leadership on how in-house legal teams should run
- chair events and webinars for Juro on topics ranging from legal operations to regulatory updates
- advocate and evangelise for Juro’s mission and product in the wider community
📬 WE'D LOVE TO HEAR FROM YOU IF...
- At least 4 years PQE experience as a solicitor in England & Wales.
- Been in an in-house legal role in a VC-backed fast-growth startup or scale-up.
- Experienced B2B transactional work
- A strong interest in legal technology and the role of in-house legal teams
You approach work in a way that emphasises our values:
- 🙏 #BeMoreHuman — Business enabler: You partner well with commercial teams to streamline, not block, their work. That includes challenging them in a healthy way and putting up the right guard rails.
- 🚀 #TrustAndDeliver — Executor: You ruthlessly prioritise to get high-quality results under high pressure, and don’t let the details get in the way of being pragmatic.
- ❤️ #LoveTheDetails — Decision-maker: You consult the right stakeholders for sensible decisions but don’t get stuck in analysis paralysis — there will always be uncertainty, ambiguity or risk.
- 🧬 #KeepItSimple — Clear communicator: You make complex legal concepts simple for stakeholders.
🌈 Research shows that while men apply to jobs if they meet ~60% of criteria, women and those in traditionally underrepresented groups tend to apply only if they check all boxes. So if you think you have what it takes but don't meet every single point above, please still get in touch. We'd love to have a chat and see if you could be a great fit.
⛰️ OUR MISSION
Help the world agree more by making contracts frictionless and accessible to everyone.
Businesses run on contracts. But it can take five separate tools just to agree one simple agreement. Switching between Word, eSignature and your inbox while you chase files creates admin for legal and friction for the business. And at a scaling business, there’s no time for contracts to block growth.
But what if your business could self-serve on contracts, while legal stays in control of contract process? That’s why we founded Juro: the all-in-one contract automation platform that helps legal counsel and the teams they enable to agree and manage contracts in one place.
Old-fashioned contract systems are built for handling static files. Juro’s flexible template editor makes it simple to create and collaborate on contracts in the browser, as well as integrate contracts into your other tools. Simple contracts are agreed faster, with better collaboration between teams.
Put contracts on autopilot — so your business can focus on growth.
🤨 WANT TO KNOW THE TEAM OR GOT MORE QUESTIONS?
Meet our team virtually + check if your questions are answered on:
Our extended job description for this role: https://tinyurl.com/juro-legal
Our company handbook: https://tinyurl.com/juro-handbook
Our careers page: https://juro.notion.site
There, you'll find answers on topics such as career progression, inclusion & belonging, the interview process, benefits and more. Or reach out to Thomas, Director of People & Talent at Juro (firstname.lastname@example.org) for anything.