1–2 days per week at home
A little flex time
We are looking for a Senior Backend Engineer to join our team.
🏡 Location - Sheffield - Hybrid working as standard OR Remote role (UK based only) OR Fully office based if you prefer! The choice is yours...
💻 The Engineering Team
Vouch a PropTech scale-up who became part of the goodlord group in 2020. They created a fully digital, cloud-based software platform to bring together agents and tenants to streamline the referencing process and support agents, landlords and tenants with the move-in process.
This means you can work in either of the offices and can lean on the experience of both Vouch & Goodlord engineers.
Our small, self-organising squads build the platforms and tools to help us achieve our mission. We're disrupting an industry, so there's plenty of thorny, real-world problems to solve on behalf of the agents, landlords and tenants that use our system.
If you want to develop new skills, there'll be plenty of opportunities: many of our current team joined as back-end or front-end developers, and are now working across the full stack.
We are keen advocates of agile delivery; we work closely with our stakeholders and use Kanban to iterate quickly on customer feedback. You'll be learning every day, from the team around you and other senior members of the team who you'll collaborate closely with.
The Tech we use
The Vouch application is built mainly in PHP (7.4) with Wordpress (5.8) using a number of internal serverless services in Azure built with C# (8.0) backed by Cosmos DB. The core frontend is Wordpress with Handlebars and we are building new micro frontends in React and Typescript. The stack is hosted in Azure and configured with Terraform.
What we need from you:
At Vouch and Goodlord we want everyone to bring their whole selves to work so we offer quite a lot of flexibility in order for you to find a good work-life balance.
No two days are the same but we would expect you to do the following on daily basis:
- Work with product managers, designers, business colleagues and other engineers to understand end-user problems and implement appropriate solutions
- Assist your squad by defining tasks end-to-end, delegating work and implementing the solutions with them
- Use your knowledge to continuously improve the platform, implement coding standards, and help define a technical roadmap of improvements
- Offer to mentor to less experienced developers
- Continuously develop your skillset via tailored professional development objectives and budget
You should apply if the following sounds like you:
- Significant experience building a variety of web-based applications
- Experience with C# or PHP (but not necessarily as the main language)
- Proficient at writing automated tests using frameworks such as NUnit, Behat or Cypress
- Strong knowledge of web application security and how to guard against common vulnerabilities.
- Strong communication skills and can adapt to the technical level of your audience.
- Focused on providing value, solving end-user problems and having a real impact on the organisation.
- Biassed towards collaboration.
- Open to learning new languages, technologies and ways of working.
In your first month, you’ll:
- Meet the team
- Learn about the various departments and products
- Get familiar with the technology and application, and do your first few releases
- Learn the platform by helping out with dev support for one week
In your first three months, you’ll:
- Start being an active contributor to code reviews
- Pinpoint areas of improvement of the application and architecture and work with team leads to get them added to the roadmap or deliver them outright
- Be involved in breaking down epics into deliverable chunks of work and value
Visit our careers in tech page to find out more about the team and the way we work!
- Phone screen with hiring manager (45 min)
- Take home assessment
- Last round of interviews
- Role related (combination of live code and architecture) interview with two team members (45 min)
- Values interview with two team members (45 min)
- CTO interview (30 min)
For more information, Donovan, our CTO, has written a blog post that goes in-depth into our interview process: https://blog.goodlord.co/careers/how-goodlord-recruits-engineers.
Our values guide our decisions, the way we work, our culture and the people we ask to join the team. We work hard, have fun and support each other. We’re not afraid to make mistakes (we’d never learn if we didn’t) and we’re always looking to challenge ourselves. Our style is collaboration based on honesty, friendship and respect .And we’re proud to have been recognised as a Great Place to work. No one likes a show off, but we can’t not shout about this. We’ve worked hard to make Goodlord great, and it’s important you know this isn’t just words on paper; Goodlordians have validated this which has led to us being accredited:
- 9th in Deloitte’s UK Technology Fast 50
- 10th Great Place to Work in the UK large-sized businesses
- 23rd Wellbeing Great Place to Work in UK Large- sized businesses
- Excellence in wellbeing for our dedication to goodlordian’s wellbeing
- Verified by Flexa as a Flexified employer - Top 100 for 2022
It’s an exciting time here at Goodlord. If you’re inspired by what we’re doing, are up for a challenge and share our values, we’d love to hear from you.
Why you'll love being a Goodlordian:
Aside from the role, the people, our culture and our mission, we have some other things that make Goodlord a pretty awesome place to be. Here’s a few favourites amongst Goodlordians (check out our careers page for more info).
- 🚀 £1000 annual development fund (and time to use this).
- 💕 Bi-weekly coaching with Sanctus to provide Goodlordians with a safe place to talk and support your mental health
- 🌴 Unlimited holiday and flexible time off
- 🤗 3 months of fully-paid parental leave
Goodlord wants applicants from all backgrounds and walks of life, we are an equal opportunity employer committed to creating an inclusive environment. In fact one of our core values is Bring our whole selves to work which is really important to us. If there is anything you need to participate fully in the interview process we'd like to hear about that too, please just include it in your application. Come and join us!
** Please note, as we are regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority, all Goodlordians are required to pass a thorough referencing check via Experian before joining the team. We will only ask for references at the point of making an offer **
Strictly NO agencies - we are not looking for extra support at this time.--
Goodlord wants applicants from all backgrounds and walks of life, we are an equal opportunity employer committed to creating an inclusive environment.
In fact one of our core values is Bring our whole selves to work which is really important to us, if there is anything you need to participate fully in the interview process we'd like to hear about that too, please just include it in your application. Come join us!