Core hours 10 - 4.30
'FitXR is a fitness technology company working at the cutting edge of virtual reality. We started life in a garden shed in the UK. Fast forward to today, we’re known as the team behind the award-winning VR App FitXR which is one of the top-selling games on the Oculus and Steam stores.We're a fast-growing funded scale-up breaking new grounds in how people move. With backing from top investors such as Hiro Capital we've achieved 1M+ downloads we’re changing even more people's lives through virtual reality fitness.We are a global remote first company and our team spans across the UK, US and Spain.
Our team comes from a variety of backgrounds including fitness and some of the most successful technology and gaming companies in the world. Our mission is to
redefine fitness and prove that exercise can be fun - and for everyone. We believe in a future where exercise everywhere - whether that is the gym, the park, or at home - is enhanced through engaging technology that extends your reality.
FitXR have been rated one of the top 10 in The Informations, 50 Most Promising Startups 🎉
You will work in one of our cross functional teams, developing game components and systems as well as solving unique and challenging technical problems. Initially you will be part of the Retention Team, reporting to the team's Tech Lead, although in the future it may be possible to move between our other product teams.
The Retention Team is responsible for enriching our users’ ongoing experience with FitXR and therefore has the scope to make changes to both the application and its backend services. The team has a passion for learning about the user, where it continuously seeks to understand their behaviour and their needs. Measuring the outcome of our experiments through data is at the centre of everything we do.
In this role, you will bring your prior experience and will develop expertise in medium-sized areas of our product and software stack. With this, you will increasingly take responsibility for shaping the direction of those areas. You will take an end to end view of development and will work with, and through, other developers to progress the areas you are responsible for.
You will also have the opportunity to work across teams and will coordinate with developers in central technology & infrastructure teams. You will help and support others in areas where you have built expertise, and will be a positive role model within your own team and across the wider engineering organisation.
What you’ll do 👀
- Work closely with your cross-functional team to design, prototype and implement new features.
- Develop subject matter expertise in one or more areas of our product so that you can identify technical risks or opportunities, and help the team tackle them.
- Take the lead on medium-sized projects in the areas that you’re responsible for and deliver them on time and at high quality.
- Make well-reasoned decisions and trade-offs within your area of expertise to align the team’s prioritisation with company strategy and goals, tying activity back to having business relevance or to product metrics.
- Continuously build upon your knowledge of industry trends and apply your insight of how others solve similar problems to your domain and team.
- Assist other team members with their planning & tasks, especially where they are operating within your own area of expertise.
- Volunteer to coach, share skills, techniques and ways of working with your team.
- Own quality and performance for your area and proactively partner with QA to raise the bar.
You should apply if ✅
- Strength in C#.
- Great verbal and written communication skills. You’ll communicate well with technical and non technical stakeholders alike.
- Demonstrable game development experience on PC, console or mobile titles.
- Proven track record of successful releases, or equivalent amount of industry experience.
- Confidence using Unity OR Confidence using a commercial or in-house game engine. If you know other engine(s) we’d love to help you learn Unity.
- Comfortable using performance analysis tools and writing optimised code.
- Experience using source control systems.
Other Desired Skills and Experience - Having any one of these is an added plus:
- Other programming and scripting languages, and other domains (eg web frontend, backend services, editors / tools etc).
- Developing VR games or experiences.
- Prior work in non-gameplay fields. Everything counts but Graphics & UI are especially interesting to us.
- Development of systems consumed by other programmers or teams.
- Experience writing automated tests and implementing other quality measures.
- Familiarity with Perforce source control
- Familiarity with developing in a Continuous Integration environment.
Our mission is to make fitness fun and accessible for everyone. To build inclusive products, we need to build an inclusive team. Please know that this list is indicative and that we would still love to hear from you even if you feel you only are a 75% match. Skills can be learnt, diversity cannot. We promote a diverse and inclusive culture at FitXR.
Our benefits are hosted on Ben which gives you flexibility to make choices that work for you.
🌎 Remote first: your life, your way of working
🏝 Unlimited annual leave
💰 Competitive salary with half year and end of year reviews
📈 Stock options
🌱£800 per annum learning budget
🧘 £900 per annum wellbeing budget (⛑ Private Health Insurance available within this through our benefits platform)
🏡£400 work from home budget
🤗 One In person Summit and three quarterly virtual Summits
💻 Laptop & VR headset
🚴♂️ Annual travel pass & cycle to work scheme
👶 12 weeks full paid family leave