Remote-first - London / Bristol Office Optional
Fully flexible hours
Life at Elvie - Meaningful work. Exceptional people
We're Elvie. We create smart products, new solutions, and a fair few taboo-busting conversations while we’re at it. Founded by Tania Boler in 2013, we develop extraordinary innovations designed to improve women’s lives. It's a fascinating and challenging area that requires us to solve problems that no one else has ever tackled before.
At Elvie, you’ll be surrounded by people who want to improve everything and everyone around them. People who are passionate about our mission. People who are driven to solve problems and constantly consider the best ways to improve the health and wellbeing of women.
Find out more about life at Elvie here.
We're deeply proud of our values, which are intrinsic to the way we behave every day. We take them seriously because we want our culture to thrive:
- We make an impact: We’re mission-driven and not afraid to break boundaries. We relentlessly focus on going the extra mile to solve problems.
- We’re fearless innovators: We are passionate, curious, and data-driven. We continuously embrace change and innovation.
- We’re in it together: we fail and learn fast — always as one team — and have fun along the way. We stay authentic and embrace our differences.
About the role:
Okay, we’ve waffled long enough. So let’s get to the good bit: You.
As a Senior Firmware Engineer your role sits within the Electronics and Embedded Software Team. You will be primarily focused on implementing firmware, but you will also be deeply involved in designing and documenting the system architecture for embedded systems. You will also be integral in the improvement of company ways of working and championing best-practice for robust firmware development. You will have passion for technology and a solid appreciation of the level of rigour required for developing firmware for medical devices.
You will primarily be working with firmware for connected devices using Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) - building applications on top of a Real Time Operating System (RTOS). However, good experience of working within controlled development environments like pre-configured virtual machines or docker instances, with various embedded toolchains, unit testing frameworks, and automated build systems like bitbucket pipelines and github actions will also be essential. You will be expected to be able to break down user level requirements into actionable user-stories and tasks and help prioritise and manage the product backlogs. Finally, you will be expected to mentor other members of the team, spreading your enthusiasm and passion for coding and adding to the team spirit of Elvie.
Location: Hybrid working; a mix of working from our Bristol office & working remotely
Employment type: Permanent (please note, you must have the right to work in the UK)
What you’ll be doing at Elvie:
- Writing code and unit tests (C++/C)
- Developing and shaping a rigorous FW development process in line with IEC 62304
- Mentoring Junior Developers
- Working with Product stakeholders to perform backlog grooming and task breakdowns
- Writing documentation
- Developing automated build and test infrastructure
- Working closely with Electronics engineers to facilitate Hardware-in-the-loop testing
- Consolidating legacy build systems into the infrastructure you help develop
What we are looking for:
- Experience of Real time operating systems - Essential ( ideally Zephyr )
- Experience with writing Firmware for BLE embedded systems - Essential (ideally Nordic chipsets)
- An engineer with good knowledge of what it takes to build robust medical grade Firmware - (ideally IEC 62304)
- Experience with Git, Cmake, Zephyr, West, Scons, Docker, VsCode, JIRA, unit testing frameworks and writing documentation including UML
We're on an exceptional journey. And we can offer you a genuinely purpose-led career with a culture built on trust, autonomy, and flexibility. In addition, we'll give you:
- Lots of flexibility: whether it’s working from home, doing the school run, or life admin, we understand that flexibility is essential, and we trust you to do the right thing for you and us
- Share options: we want everyone to have a stake in our success
- An annual discretionary bonus scheme
- 25 days’ annual leave, plus bank holidays
- 2 additional Elvie “in it together” bank holidays for 2022
- 8 extra life leave days; getting married, moving house, menopause or just things that you can’t put a label on that matter to you
- 5=10 leave: 10 days’ additional leave on your 5th and 10th years of service!
- £100 contribution to your home working set up to spend as you see fit
- An annual personal development allowance of £200 and unlimited access to our learning and development platform, Learnerbly
- Generous parental leave policies; maternity, paternity/partner, shared & adoption
- Healthcare plans, life insurance, and an employee assistance program for you and your family
- A tax-efficient group pension scheme
- Group income protection; protect your salary if you get sick
- A free Elvie trainer for you to keep or give away when you join
- Generous employee and friends & family discounts on Elvie products
- Wellbeing support from YuLife and access to SmartHealth app with unlimited GP appointments for you and your family, plus various well-being initiatives throughout the year
- Lovely offices in great locations, with drinks and snacks provided, along with fun social events
What you can expect after you’ve applied:
A member of our recruitment team will reach out to you after they have reviewed your application. You must ensure your application is completed correctly, and we strongly encourage you to add a cover letter or note to let us know why Elvie’s the right fit for you.
We would like to get to know you through your background, attitude, experience and understand your motivation to work with us. Our interview process varies depending on the position, but it typically looks like this:
- 20-minute video call with one of our recruiters
- 30-45 minute video call with the hiring manager
- 45-60 minute video interview with the team (some positions may require you to complete a task/presentation)
- For some positions, there may be an additional interview with one of senior our leadership team
This is undoubtedly a great time to join Elvie. You’ll have a voice, make an impact, and have the opportunity to mould your role. So be ready to learn, have fun, and be inspired by our passionate, talented team — and having a sense of humor helps too. 😉
We can’t wait to hear from you!