Fully flexible hours
We are looking for a Security Engineer to work closely with our Ops team and you'd report to Daniele our Ops Engineering manager, who you'd meet during the interviews. Safety of our users and their data is is very important to us, our whole business is built on the trust that we are here to safeguard them and enable a private and safe way to communicate. Your first 6 months would probably look like this:
- Get to know the infrastructure and application layer of Element and the Matrix protocol.
- Collaborate with the Ops team
- Grow your understanding of the existing infrastructure security issues
By the 3rd month:
- Deepen your understanding of the application security issues and challenges for Element
- Discover new vulnerabilities within the infrastructure
- Ensure there is a strong and reliable reporting collaboration between the Ops and Security teams
By the 6th month:
- Automating the most of the Infrastructure and Security practices
- Collaborating with Ops to simplify the security infra
- Collaborating with compliance team to address the incoming workload
- Advocate for infra issues internally
- Liaise with ops team on decision making
- Managing and understanding how to guide the teams on security trade offs
- Make security architecture decisions
- Help triage externally reported security issues
- Collaborate on cross-functional security initiatives
- Lead the discovery of technology and organizational needs throughout their department
- Mentor new and existing team members
- Assist in developing team roadmap
- Solve technical problems of the highest scope, complexity, and ambiguity in your domain
- Interface with organizational stakeholders and enable Staff Engineers to engage on department-level aspects of larger initiatives.
- Look for innovation opportunities between several teams with a willingness to experiment and to boldly confront problems of large complexity and scope.
- Guide conversations to remove blockers and encourage collaboration across teams.
- Provide a point of escalation for sub-department teams facing complex technical challenges.
- Play a central role in technical, business, and organizational contributions affecting the team and communicate the work of your team and their business impact internally.
- Infrastructure configuration auditing
- Infrastructure hardening
- Vulnerability analysis/assessment
- Vulnerability scanning
- Experience in offensive testing
- Automation (of infrastructure scanning)
- Bonus points for familiarity with Matrix
Our general approach is to treat people like adults and acknowledge that by being flexible we create an environment for people to do their best work. For more details here is our manifesto. That said specific points that differentiate us.
- Our projects are almost entirely Free and Open Source Software, with high visibility and a large, enthusiastic community.
- Yearly bonus and meaningful equity options.
- Generous holiday allowance, private healthcare for you and your family, and opportunities for development and progression as we scale.
- We fully support remote and flexible work, but also maintain offices in London and Rennes.
- We strive to create a family friendly environment, many of the team have small children and we look to accommodate that as best we can.
- People tend to stay with the company for a long time, we take this as a sign that we have a cohesive supportive culture, that we have engaging challenging work and that people can develop their skills and careers here for the long term.
- Since our technology is relevant to anything that requires real-time comms, the role provides exposure to a wide range of domains from more traditional web and app development down to VoIP and IoT.
Element does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, colour, religion, age, national origin, marital status, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other reason prohibited by law in provision of employment opportunities and benefits.