Fully flexible hours
Element is the startup which employs the core team behind matrix.org— the leading project for secure, open decentralised communication.
Matrix’s mission is to make messaging as open as email— allowing everyone to choose where their data is hosted, enjoy private conversations thanks to advanced encryption, and ultimately be in control of their own communication.
Matrix powers our flagship messaging apps for the web, iOS & Android, along with EMS our SaaS platform for personal & professional use.
We build things for everyone, and we know we can’t succeed without a diverse team. Our hiring process is designed to be humane and give candidates the best chance to show us what you can do. If we ever fall down on this, please let us know.
You will spend most of your time working with different teams within Element to test features and fixes as they are developed. As part of that work, you will be setting up and migrating our teams to use TestRail, and running community testing sessions.
You will be responsible for:
- Setting up and migrating our teams to use TestRail
- Assisting with acceptance testing of new features, ensuring things work correctly and provide a great experience for users
- Working with our community and developers to organise live and asynchronous testing sessions
- File high quality tickets
- Assist with managing our issue backlog, which will include triage, verifying issues and providing more information as needed
This is a great opportunity to work on a high profile open source product and collaborate with a highly passionate user community.
We are looking for someone who is passionate about working with F/LOSS and has great attention to detail. You will need to be organised as you will be responsible for scheduling testing and communicating both internally with coworkers at Element as well as our users.
We are constantly working to improve our processes so our ideal candidate would be:
- Curious and enthusiastic
- Interested in learning new skills and tools
- Empathetic with users from different backgrounds and cultures
- Happy to speak up when they see opportunities for improvements
- Able to work independently on recurring tasks
We don’t have hard requirements for the role, we just want to build the best possible team, but we'd be particularly excited to speak to you if you have experience with some of the following:
- Working in testing or QA department for a few years
- Experience with F/LOSS communities
- Experience with scripting and automation
- Experience writing automated tests
- Experience with data processing (to track problem areas based on test results)
People tend to stay with the company for a long time, we take this as a sign that we have a cohesive, supportive culture, that we have engaging challenging work and that people can develop their skills and careers here for the long term. We also have a family friendly environment, many of the team have small children and we look to accommodate that as best we can. Since our technology is relevant to anything that requires real-time comms, the role provides exposure to a wide range of domains from web and app dev through to VR, VoIP and IoT.
Our package generally contains:
- Private Health Insurance
- Annual Bonus
- Share Options
- Home Office Allowance
- Coworking Space Allowance
- Annual leave (40 days including local bank holidays)
- Company Socials (virtual or in person)
- Annual Global Offsite
- Plumm Health (mental health platform)
You can find a more detailed explanation here and you might be eligible for other benefits depending on your location.
Currently we can consider applicants, from these countries: Canada, Czech Republic, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Portugal, Spain, Switzerland, UK, USA
Element does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, colour, religion, age, national origin, marital status, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other reason prohibited by law in provision of employment opportunities and benefits.