3–4 days per week at home
A little flex time
Depop is the community-powered fashion marketplace to buy and sell unique fashion, with over 30 million registered users in more than 150 countries. Depop is a place for anyone to discover and celebrate their style on their own terms, and to feel good about their fashion choices by extending the lives of millions of garments. The company was founded in 2011 and is headquartered in London with offices in Manchester, New York, Los Angeles and Sydney. Depop has approximately 400 employees dedicated to its mission of building the world’s most diverse progressive home of fashion, that’s kinder on the planet and kinder to people. In 2021, Depop became a wholly-owned subsidiary of Etsy - the global marketplace for unique and creative goods - and continues to operate as a standalone company.
Our mission is to build the world’s most diverse progressive home of fashion. Our team is dedicated to enhancing and developing the Depop experience to serve the needs of our global community.
Depop exists to empower the next generation to transform fashion. We are a community-powered fashion ecosystem that's kinder to the planet and kinder to people. We give our audience something they can't get anywhere else - unique fashion, with amazing people and the chance to create a better future by showing up as their full selves, at full volume.
Our DNA defines the essence of our company as an employer– how we are unique and what matters to us.
Depop is looking for an experienced Software Engineer to join us on a permanent basis. Within this role, you’ll be working in the cross functional Martech team in partnership with the mobile, web and machine learning/data science teams and Tech Lead to drive the team to success.
- Work closely with Product Managers, Designers, Front-End and other Backend Developers to understand problems and to design solutions.
- Produce high-quality code that is well-structured and simple to understand that will be used by 1M+ active daily users
- Embrace agile methodologies
- Engage in a culture of continuous improvement by attending events such as blameless post-mortems, architecture reviews etc.
- Collaborate on a daily basis with fellow developers to solve problems and write code
- You’ll own your code and workflows, through its entire lifecycle, including deployment to production
- Resolving bugs in the backend
- Documenting any feature development
Key Skills and Requirements:
- Proficiency with at least one of the following programming languages: Scala / Functional Java / Kotlin /Python
- Distributed datastores (e.g. DynamoDB, Redshift, Apache Cassandra)
- Message queues: (e.g. RabbitMQ / Apache Kafka)
- Experience building scalable web applications serving 10,000s of requests per second
- Experience working with RDBMS, ideally Postgres
- DevOps culture (CI/CD pipeline)
- Ability to proactively find and solve complex problems independently, but also know when to seek guidance or help from your peers.
- Experience with Scala
- Experience with Docker
- Proficient in testing solutions at different levels —unit, integration, etc—
- Experience with event-driven architectures, preferably using RabbitMQ or Kafka
- Experience with relational or non-relational databases, preferably PostgreSQL or DynamoDB
Nice to have:
- Experience with AdTech / eComm
- Experience in using production AWS infrastructure, ideally with Terraform
- Degree level knowledge of Computer Science or related technical field.
Health + Mental Wellbeing
- Cash-plan or PMI - you have the choice of a healthcare plan that best suits you
- Subsidised counselling and coaching - we partner with Selfspace to provide you the opportunity for a good conversation with a qualified person
- Cycle to Work scheme - choose between Evans or the Green Commute Initiative to help access a bike for your commute
- Employee Assistance Programme (EAP) - have access to a confidential support network of expert advice 24/7
- Mental Health First Aiders - we have trained individuals across the business to offer support and signposting
- 25 days annual leave with the option to carryover up to 5 days
- 1 company-wide day off per quarter, for you to take some time for yourself and decompress
- 2 activism days per year for you to use for volunteering, demonstrations or internal initiatives
- We offer sabbaticals for our long serving employees.
We’re Flexa® accredited, meaning we offer genuinely flexible working;
- We'd love you to head to your nearest Depop office once a week, but feel free to work from home the rest of the week!
- Want to head into the office more? No problem, you can opt to be "Office-Based", with your very own desk.
- Do you do your best work from home? You can also request to be a remote worker, and only head into the office 4 times per year *role dependent
- In the office, we provide healthy snacks, tea and coffee and the occasional surprise treats!
- All of our offices are also dog-friendly! Do your best work with your best friend.
- Apply to work abroad 4 weeks of the year (in UK tax treaty countries)
- Maternity + Paternity Leave, plus adoption leave, IVF leave, shared parental leave + paid emergency parent/carer leave
Learn and Grow
- We offer a personal learning budget for every employee and also sponsor and run a myriad of programmes, conferences and meet-ups to upskill our employees and enhance their journey with us.
- Life Insurance (financial compensation of 3x your salary)
- Pension (Depop will match your contribution up to 6% of your qualifying earnings)
And finally, as a valued Depop employee We waive all of our employees’ fees when they sell on Depop and also ship your sold items anywhere in the UK for free using our team’s account