3–4 days per week at home
A little flex time
Depop is the community-powered marketplace app where people exploring style and the latest trends come to shop and sell circular fashion. With over 26m users in more than 150 countries, Depop is the place for anyone looking to celebrate style on their terms and keeping millions of items of clothing in rotation.
Founded in 2011, Depop has its headquarters in London and offices in Manchester, New York and Sydney with 400 employees dedicated to helping build a new fashion system that’s kinder to people and kinder to the planet.
In 2021, Depop joined Etsy, Inc. as a wholly-owned subsidiary and continues to operate as a standalone marketplace for fashion items, community and creativity.
Our brand operates on three values:
Data is a tight-knit, cross-functional team started in mid-2020 that has grown substantially over the past year to include over twenty individuals. With members in data science, engineering, stakeholder engagement and project management, the team is very active across both business and engineering domains supporting a wide range of marketing and core strategic initiatives.
Day-to-day the team works in a modified Kanban system that operates in a continuous delivery cycle.
Individuals in the team freely communicate across technical and role boundaries to share knowledge and achieve consensus on implementation plans and longer term technical strategies. Data takes pride in writing solid documentation, sharing knowledge with others and being an active part of Depop's engineering culture, following the mantra of 'We all succeed better together'.
- Driving the Data Platform roadmap from a technical perspective, collaborating closely with Data Engineering, Data Science & Analytics teams, and translating ideas to services capable of delivering desired outcomes.
- Helping your team design systems that can ensure continued improvements to deployments speed of Data Engineers, Data Scientists & Analysts (a key outcome for 2022)
- Growing your team’s sense of ownership of building a scalable, self-serve, reliable and compliant data platform; ensuring they are engaged to bring ideas and continuously strive for a better platform
- Own e2e the definition, creation and support of the technical patterns data platform users - including but not limited to: ingestion, event streaming, data transformation, big data infrastructure, & ops excellence - for real-time and batch.
- Hold high standards for operational excellence; from running their own services to monitoring, maintenance and reacting to production issues.
- Ensuring timely delivery of your teams’ projects, which will ultimately have a tangible impact on Depop’s success.
- Supporting a strong engineering culture, orientated on technical innovation, and professional development.
- Ensuring your team follows our engineering practices, by leading from the front.
- Successful end-to-end delivery of your team’s projects; from scoping and translating business requirements into plans, to design, implementation and maintenance, whilst coordinating with other teams (and engineers).
- Capability to earn trust of senior management to ensure continued support for the team - be it resourcing or budgets.
- A strong sense of ownership, autonomy and a highly organised nature.
- Experience building high-traffic systems servicing 10,000s of concurrent users
- Experience working in a B2C product-based technical environment
- You enjoy learning new things and keeping on top of the latest developments and technologies in Event-driven Architectures.
- Strong knowledge of systems design, within a modern cloud-based environment (AWS, GCP)
- You have experience with streaming and/or batch-based systems supporting data integrations to third-party platforms (e.g. using Kafka, Airflow, RMQ, etc.)
- Experience with core concepts of data engineering
- Experience with building out data pipelines using best in class tools such as KStreams, KSQL, Databricks, EMR, and Spark
- Experience working on large scale distributed systems design and operation
- Worked with infrastructure as code and deployment pipelines, preferably with Terraform
- Knowledge of high-level programming languages (e.g. Java, Scala, Python)
- Reinforce the ‘you build it, you own it’ mentality to your teams working methodology, ultimately, owning the underlying infrastructure
- Demonstrable experience in which you have been the ‘engine room’ for teams to drive focus and momentum into deliverables
- Demonstrable experience is delivering set requirements, at pace & with adequate quality as to not introduce undesirable levels of technical debt.
- Experience in translating ideas/requirements into consumable and interpretable information for engineers to build products.
- Feel comfortable expressing one’s opinion whilst being open-minded to listen to your peer’s point of view.
- Exemplary communication skills, especially in dealing with multiple stakeholders
Health + Mental Wellbeing
- Cash-plan or PMI - you have the choice of a healthcare plan that best suits you
- Subsidised counselling and coaching - we partner with Selfspace to provide you the opportunity for a good conversation with a qualified person
- Cycle to Work scheme - choose between Evans or the Green Commute Initiative to help access a bike for your commute
- Employee Assistance Programme (EAP) - have access to a confidential support network of expert advice 24/7
- Mental Health First Aiders - we have trained individuals across the business to offer support and signposting
- 25 days annual leave with the option to carryover up to 5 days
- 1 company-wide day off per quarter, for you to take some time for yourself and decompress
- 2 activism days per year for you to use for volunteering, demonstrations or internal initiatives
- We offer sabbaticals for our long serving employees.
We’re Flexa® accredited, meaning we offer genuinely flexible working;
- We'd love you to head to your nearest Depop office once a week, but feel free to work from home the rest of the week!
- Want to head into the office more? No problem, you can opt to be "Office-Based", with your very own desk.
- Do you do your best work from home? You can also request to be a remote worker, and only head into the office 4 times per year *role dependent
- In the office, we provide healthy snacks, tea and coffee and the occasional surprise treats!
- All of our offices are also dog-friendly! Do your best work with your best friend.
- Apply to work abroad 4 weeks of the year (in UK tax treaty countries)
- Maternity + Paternity Leave, plus adoption leave, IVF leave, shared parental leave + paid emergency parent/carer leave
Learn and Grow
- We offer a personal learning budget for every employee and also sponsor and run a myriad of programmes, conferences and meet-ups to upskill our employees and enhance their journey with us.
- Life Insurance (financial compensation of 3x your salary)
- Pension (Depop will match your contribution up to 6% of your qualifying earnings)
And finally, as a valued Depop employee We waive all of our employees’ fees when they sell on Depop and also ship your sold items anywhere in the UK for free using our team’s account