A little flex time
As a Senior Software Engineer in the Core Engineering team, you will work on making neural search scalable and accessible for developers and enterprises all around the world. You will improve our open-source Python framework Haystack to make it more developer-friendly, extend its functionality, improve it’s scalability and interact with the vibrant open-source community behind the project. On top, you will work closely with our platform team on building deepset cloud, a SaaS product to facilitate neural search for our enterprise clients.
We are an open source startup that empowers developers to build flexible and powerful semantic search systems to query all types of data using our Haystack framework.
deepset is at the forefront of natural language processing (NLP) and we are on our way to becoming a standard for semantic search. Come join our team and work with tech experts on real-world cases, in a fast-paced and high-impact environment, and shape the NLP space together with us.
Life at deepset
At deepset you will find an environment with equal opportunities to grow, share ideas, build relationships, and succeed. We believe every employee is important and generates a direct impact on our team’s success.
We are certified by Flexa® Careers as a flexible employer, and our remote first culture is designed to provide work-life balance, autonomy, and flexibility.
Our daily meetings, the quarterly in-person "Re.Base", and the social events allow us to work with great synergy. We would like to invite you to visit our Linkedin company life page to learn more about our culture.
- Implement new features in Haystack, proposing architectural changes when necessary
- Maintain our open-source projects and take care of the release cycle, the installation process and the continuous integration
- Contribute to keep the developer experience at the highest standards, by interacting with the community through Github and Discord
- Work closely with our ML Engineers to improve existing use cases in Haystack and add new ones in a scalable way
- Work in collaboration with other engineering teams at deepset and help to keep the engineering culture consistent across the company
- You have 5+ years of experience working with Python; if in combination with NLP engineering skills that will be considered a plus
- You have a proven record of open-source contributions, preferably in Python
- You have experience with CI/CD systems and software automation
- You are eager to constantly learn and exchange knowledge, with the ability to dive deep into new tech projects
- Prior experience as a maintainer of an open-source project is desirable
- Remote-first: You can choose to work from home or any other workspace that suits you. We offer a home office budget for equipment and furniture, and we would be happy to sponsor a co-working spot.
- Grow: Personal and professional growth is important to us. We offer a yearly 1000 EUR budget to learn and develop new skills, the chance to speak at conferences, and our team favorite is the monthly “Hacky Friday”.
- Connect: We have a virtual office, a monthly social budget to reconnect virtually or in person, regular walks and talks with colleagues from other teams, and a flexible travel policy that enables you to meet colleagues in person when needed.
- Re:base: Once every few months we meet in person. We believe it's great to still see each other occasionally in real life. We have good discussions, we do workshops, we brainstorm, we have lunches together, and we have fun. We cover travel expenses for sure.
- You are an owner: We offer every employee the opportunity to be enrolled in the employee stock option plan and own a part of the company.
- Personal time off: If you want to recharge and travel the world - there are 27 days of paid holidays.
- Choose your tech: Linux, Windows, or macOS? Laptop or PC? The choice is yours and we will provide what you need.
- Health and/or pension fund fitting with your main working location: E.g. Company pension scheme for Germany, Health insurance for the US
What colleagues say
- “For me, deepset is about working with highly motivated and talented people to make the latest cutting-edge NLP solutions accessible and deliver real technical value. I am grateful to be part of this welcoming and passionate culture.” (Kristof, Software Engineer)
- "The idea of computers understanding human language is already fascinating, but deepset is on a mission to make the technology available to any developer and I couldn`t miss the opportunity to be part of this." (Massimiliano, Team Lead of Open Source Engineering)