A little flex time
Currencycloud is somewhere where innovative thinking and the power of technology know no limits. We know that the success of the business depends on the people who keep it moving, which is why we are looking for exceptional talent to join our international payments revolution.
We are an open & collaborative Fintech unicorn that lives and breathes our company values:
Be Human, Better Together and Own it.
It’s a key topic at the moment, we have addressed this by implementing a “Remote-First” policy. What this ultimately means is you have the choice as to whether you Work Fully Remotely, or visit the lush offices in London, Cardiff or Amsterdam; it’s up to you!
About the role:
As we continue to expand our world-leading payments platform we are looking to build out our Data Engineering function, with a VP of Data Engineering joining to drive strategy, improve technological use and improve the use of data internally and for customers
- Represents the team in the broader engineering and tech functions
- Drive towards Data Mesh Architecture and Real Time data processing capability
- A key champion of our culture
- Own the design and build of Currencycloud’s platform-wide data capabilities, leveraging the benefits of cloud platforms to support a wide range of downstream reporting, analytics and machine learning requirements
- Lead and continuously improve 1/2 teams of Data Engineers
- As a member of the Technology Leadership team assist in the development and execution of the broader Currencycloud technology strategy
What you'll get to do:
- Develop a Data vision and strategy to scale the platform from a single active-passive region setup to support multi-region across the globe
- Introduce data governance, data tooling and industry best practices for data streaming - platform wide
- Drive the adoption of data mesh principles at Currencycloud
- Provide mentoring, coaching and support to other members of the Team and guidance to our colleagues in other parts of our technology organisation
- Work with senior members of your team to outline the design principles of the core Data used and upon which our industry-leading payment platform runs
- Champion best engineering practices, be the solution-oriented voice showing where to invest engineering effort where it can create the most positive impact
- Identify initiatives to continuously improve the platform and Currencycloud services. Examples of such initiatives include:
- Note, we rely heavily on the following tools and technologies: Kafka, Snowflake and Airflow, SQL and Python, AWS (natively), cloud-based transformation tools (Matillion, DBT, DataBricks) and version control systems (i.e. GitHub, GitLab, Gitbucket)
- Develop new and optimise existing data pipelines
- Apply creative engineering techniques to ingest data from multiple data sources
- Improving data integrity and supporting stakeholder queries.
- Work with the security team to implement data governance
About your experience
- Leadership of a Data engineering (or equivalent) department made of multiple teams
- Have experience driving a team towards Real-Time data processing using Kafka, Snowflake, Airflow, SQL, Python etc.
- Experience building and running an Data Engineering Department
- Expertise in developing new and existing data pipelines
- Experience running Data Engineering within a Data & Insights organisation
- Demonstrable experience of building cross-functional relationships with Data Scientists, Product Managers, Business Stakeholders and Software Engineers to understand data needs and deliver on those needs
- Top-notch stakeholder management skills, including the ability to influence colleagues in small, cross-functional scrum teams
About your skills
- Management, coaching and mentoring of data team members and managers
- Ideally some knowledge around Data Mesh Architecture
- Ability to work technically with SQL, Python, Airflow, Snowflask, Kafka and other key components of our technical stack
- A proven ability to influence stakeholders both within the technology organisation and in other functional areas
- The ability to dive into technical details with engineers, but also to distil technical concepts into lay language for executives and non-technical audiences
- Ability to communicate equally effectively with both technical and non-technical stakeholders and influence executives
- Comfortable working in a scale-up or growth environment and as part of a wider team
We are a remote-first company; whichever location you’re contracted to, we leave it up to you and your manager to agree on how often you come into the office. To make things easier we offer an allowance so you can create your own working space at home because we REALLY mean it when we say remote first.
Your health and well-being are of paramount importance to us, and so our jampacked employee benefits reflect this!
We offer a competitive salary, an individual learning and development budget, a pension or 401K contribution, mental health days and comprehensive health care that includes annual optical and dental allowances, access to mental health support and a monthly allowance that you can spend on anything health or wellness related!
At the moment we are unable to consider applicants living outside of our entities and we are unable to provide visa sponsorship.
We aren’t currently looking for additional Recruiter support on this role and won’t be accepting any unsolicited CVs