Who We Are
Cobalt was founded on the belief that pentesting can be better. Our pentests start in as little as 24 hours and integrate with modern development cycles thanks to the powerful combination of a SaaS platform coupled with an exclusive community of testers known as the Cobalt Core. Accepting just 5% of applicants, the Core boasts over 400 closely vetted and highly skilled testers who jointly conduct thousands of tests each year.
Our award-winning, fully remote team is committed to helping agile businesses remediate risk quickly and innovate securely. Today, over 1,000 customers use Cobalt to run pentests on demand via Pentest as a Service, AKA PtaaS, a space which Cobalt pioneered (you could even say we wrote the book on it) and continues to lead.
Today, Cobalt helps secure more than 1,000 leading companies by connecting them with on-demand pentesting experts. The application brings both sides together to identify, triage, and fix vulnerabilities. Seven years and 20K penetration tests later, our technology has been battle-tested by thousands of users.
Infrastructure is a small multinational team with engineers based in Germany and USA. We are looking for an experienced (mid-level or senior) engineer in the US East Coast time zone who would work with the rest of the Infrastructure team and provide direct support to our US-based engineers.
As a part of the Infrastructure team you will empower engineers to design, build, and iteratively improve Cobalt’s Platform; work on best practices, guardrails, and automations; and establish Cobalt as part of the larger, connected SDLC and security ecosystem. You’ll work closely with the engineers based in the US and provide them with necessary support.
Our infrastructure is Cloud Native. We use the Google Cloud platform as the most modern approach to build and run our applications in dynamic and scalable environments. Infrastructure as Code (IaC) to manage our resources and CI/CD pipelines to enable continuous integration and delivery of product features. Coupled with a set of monitoring and tooling it creates a reliable and contemporary ecosystem.
What You'll Do
Cobalt’s Infrastructure team spends the majority of their time developing and improving, rather than maintaining and responding thanks to our extremely low incident rate. This is a job where innovation is at the heart of our daily responsibilities and your ideas will make a difference organization-wide. Our autonomy enables us to make decisions quickly and act on them with almost zero friction. Cobalt’s engineering department is growing rapidly and you will have a huge impact on the future of Cobalt by accommodating that growth.
- Work in a remote first engineering team
- Build and maintain highly available systems responsible for service deployment & telemetry across test, dev, staging and production environments
- Architect and manage secure, and scalable infrastructure utilizing Kubernetes to support both our external and internal use cases
- Work closely with software engineers and our security team to identify work that improves the stability, security, and self-service nature of our infrastructure, shepherding those ideas and projects from inception to completion
- Develop tools automating engineering workflows and tasks
- Debug complex issues and performance problems throughout the technological stack
- Collaborate with the Information Security team
You Identify As
- A Self-Starter: You feel at home as a hands-on, self-directed contributor who drives initiatives within the team and cross-team, both for the product and engineers.
- A Team-Player: You collaborate with your teammates, engineers, Information Security and other people on a daily basis
- A Technical-Interface: You communicate with clarity and precision, whether with teammates or other stakeholders, helping others to understand technical complexities and opportunities in terms they’ll understand
- Improvement-Minded: You take initiative, identifying ways to continuously improve how you and your team work, contributing to a culture of innovation
- 5+ years experience as an engineer working with production infrastructure at scale
- Software engineering background with extensive hands-on experience (Golang, Ruby preferred)
- Experience in containers (Docker), orchestration (Kubernetes), IaC (Terraform) and cloud architectures (GCP, AWS)
- A security-oriented mindset, being able to think in terms of attack surfaces and reducing them. You don’t need to be a security expert, but you do need to be able to think critically about your decisions.
- Good communication skills
- Proven ability to thrive with an environment of high level autonomy and responsibility
- Proven ability to collaborate effectively with other engineering teams and business stakeholders in an asynchronous “home-office” environment
- Strong scripting skills
- Networking knowledge (HTTP, TCP, TLS)
- Basic Linux troubleshooting skills (we’re cloud native, but it’s still Linux under the hood)
- High comfort level with a remote-first, global company (i.e. the ability to get up early at 8am to work with Berlin folks and overlap with our west-coast team in the US)
- US-East time zone location
Bonus If You Have
- Experience with full stack architectures, working with API design and implementation
- Experience in a fast-growing SaaS company
- Experience with public key infrastructure (PKI)
- Experience in the cybersecurity industry / knowledge of best practices
- Experience building and improving CI/CD pipelines
- Vim experience. We can’t stop talking about Vim. We cook our bread with Vim. We need someone to tell us how to exit it.
Diversity at Cobalt
With over 45 nationalities already at Cobalt (and counting) we respect and celebrate diversity! We’re proudly committed to equal employment opportunities regardless of your gender, religion, age, sexual orientation, ethnicity, disability, or place of origin. We support each other and are grateful for each Cobalter's contribution to our mission — let's make security dance!
Please apply even if you don't think you meet all of the criteria above but are still interested in the job. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
Why You Should Join Us
- Grow in a passionate, rapidly expanding industry operating at the forefront of the Pentesting industry
- Work directly with experienced senior leaders with ongoing mentorship opportunities
- Earn competitive compensation and an attractive equity plan
- Save for the future with a 401(k) program (US)
- Benefit from medical, dental, vision and life insurance (US)
- Leverage stipends for:
- Work-from-home equipment & wifi
- Learning & development
- Unlimited books
- Treat yourself to paid remote lunches
- Make the most of our flexible, generous paid time off
- Work remotely from anywhere in the US-East
- Explore the world with our travel bonus payouts at your 2, 3, and 5 year anniversary
The FlexScore® is the result of a rigorous 2-step verification of a company’s flexibility
First we assess the flexibility options Cobalt provides and then we anonymously survey a statistically significant proportion of their employees to make sure Cobalt is as flexible as they say they are. Our assessment is based on the six key elements of flexibility: location, hours, autonomy, benefits, role modelling and work-life balance.
We ask the hard questions so you don’t have to.
Working at Cobalt
Gender diversity (male:female)
USA, Germany, UK
What employees are saying
"Part of the reason why I joined Cobalt was the flexibility – being able to work from home, take care of my dog, run errands, and also unplug after hours was important to me, and everyone at Cobalt gets it."
Anonymous Cobalt Employee