Who We Are
Cobalt provides the world's largest pentesting platform, delivering thousands of pentests per year. Cobalt's Pentest as a Service (PtaaS) platform is modernizing traditional pentesting. By combining a SaaS platform with an exclusive community of testers, we deliver the real-time insights you need to remediate risk quickly and innovate securely. We see the Pentest as a Service model as a first step in our vision to create a new interface to the security workforce. We have seen tremendous traction over the years and today we have 1000+ customers on Cobalt's platform, ranging in size from Fortune 50 companies to emerging tech start-ups.
We are remote-first with local hubs in Austin, Boston, Berlin, and San Francisco. We have Scandinavian roots, an American base and a global outlook. Our team is characterized by a fun, fast-paced and collaborative culture based on individual responsibility and ownership.
We have secured more than $50M in funding from a variety of top flight investors, led by Highland Europe. We are using our funding to expand global usage and continue development of the Cobalt platform, which pioneered the Penetration test as a Service (PtaaS) model.
Today, Cobalt helps secure more than a thousand leading companies like HubSpot, DocuSign, and Credit Karma by connecting them with on-demand pentesting experts. The application brings both sides together to identify, triage, and fix vulnerabilities. Seven years and 20K penetration tests later, our technology has been battle-tested by thousands of users.
Our success naturally means growth. With doubling the team in 2021 and significant growth plans in 2022 Cobalt Engineering clearly recognises the need to proactively stay ahead of its maturity curve. As a Principal Software Engineer you’ll focus on mission critical work across different areas, driving progress and supporting the team. Some of the areas requiring your attention will be:
- Technology: topics like architecture, technology choices, monitoring, observability and more which require regular communication and alignment between the different engineering groups. Our current stack consists of GCP/GKE, Ruby/Rails, Kotlin and ReactJS.
- Product: solving business challenges in many cases spans across different product development groups which increases the complexity of finding a common solution and implementation.
- The intersection between those two i.e. the ability to think across product domains and boundaries and solve complex business challenges for our users.
If you are a person with technical leadership experience in big engineering groups, able to speak both Product and Technology, welcoming growth and change and passionate about software security we’re excited to hear from you.
What You'll Do
- Drive decisions that span through technological areas (e.g. infrastructure, backend, frontend, data etc.) and in many cases impacts the whole product / architecture.
- Lead engineering efficiency efforts and improve operational efficiency across product development.
- Collaborate across the product development organization on various initiatives, bringing tech knowledge to the table.
- Coordinate big initiatives or internal transformations that take up to 6-12 months.
- Contribute to the definition of Engineering's future strategy.
- Elevate the technical proficiency of the engineering team and the overall maturity of the organization.
- Make an impact as we build the world's largest and fastest Pentest as a Service (PtaaS) Platform.
- 15+ years of related professional experience across the whole technological stack.
- 5+ years of technical leadership experience across big engineering organizations.
- Experience with B2B or B2C marketplaces and SaaS applications.
- Experience in the cybersecurity industry is a plus.
- Excellent written and verbal communication in English.
- Ability to communicate effectively both synchronously and asynchronously.
- Comfortable working in a distributed multinational environment.
Diversity at Cobalt
With over 45 nationalities already at Cobalt (and counting) we respect and celebrate diversity! We’re proudly committed to equal employment opportunities regardless of your gender, religion, age, sexual orientation, ethnicity, disability, or place of origin. We support each other and are grateful for each Cobalter's contribution to our mission — let's make security dance!
Please apply even if you don't think you meet all of the criteria above but are still interested in the job. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
Why You Should Join Us
- Grow in a passionate, rapidly expanding industry operating at the forefront of the Pentesting industry
- Work directly with experienced senior leaders with ongoing mentorship opportunities
- Earn competitive compensation and an attractive equity plan
- Save for the future with pension (EU)
- Benefit from statutory healthcare (EU)
- Leverage stipends for:
- Work-from-home equipment & wifi
- Learning & development
- Unlimited books
- Treat yourself to paid remote lunches
- Make the most of our flexible, generous paid time off
- Work remotely from anywhere in the UK, or Germany
- Explore the world with our travel bonus payouts at your 2, 3, and 5 year anniversary